SLABSAUCE Sold Here |
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: 500 size reels

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 500 size reels

    Are 500 reels going the way of the Dodo? I have been browsing reels online lately and notices that most reels start 1000 now. I know at one time some brands went by 5's.....500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and so on. The real pain in the butt is retailers that think the only people that fish are after bass and bigger, meaning most of the reels on shelves start at 2500 and go up. What is an ultralight fisherman to do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Georgia; South of the big A
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think the reason is the 1000 and larger reels have gotten lighter .
    But I still like a 500 size reel on my shorter rods .
    I Enjoy fishing with a combo that weighs less than 8 ounces total .
    Likes skeetbum, gunwhatgun LIKED above post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A number of Shimano models still have 500 size

    Also, Pflueger's 20 size is about a 600...little bigger but not much.
    Hunting them down to broil them up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can still get several Shimano 500 size reels out of Japan. The Sahara and Nasci for example with shallow spools. The price is same as the state side price and sometimes a little less. If you want to go up in price Shimano has several more 500 models also.

    Regards


    Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Las vegas
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunwhatgun View Post
    Are 500 reels going the way of the Dodo? I have been browsing reels online lately and notices that most reels start 1000 now. I know at one time some brands went by 5's.....500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and so on. The real pain in the butt is retailers that think the only people that fish are after bass and bigger, meaning most of the reels on shelves start at 2500 and go up. What is an ultralight fisherman to do?
    Hi, gwg as always i love to share my thought on this one as well. As Alphahawk and others have said, your best bet right now is Shimano (while they still make them) and they range from cheapest Sienna (stay away) to I believe is their current flagship 500: the Soare ci4+! Here is a thorough review by an angler putting it through it's paces.
    Shimano Soare CI4+ 500S - The Ultimate in UltraLights - YouTube
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That’s interesting. Certainly plenty of reel for needs. Wonder what the weight is? I’m wanting something very light but I’m too cheap to pull the trigger on an expensive reel just yet. After this new custom rod came home a little while back that weighs about as much as a sneeze it might be getting closer.
    Listen to your gut over all the other voices.
    Likes LVSpinfisher1, hdhntr LIKED above post

  7. #7
    DockShootinJack's Avatar
    DockShootinJack is online now Crappie.com Legend and Moderator TN, Newbie, and Cooking Forums * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton Tennessee
    Posts
    27,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    That’s interesting. Certainly plenty of reel for needs. Wonder what the weight is? I’m wanting something very light but I’m too cheap to pull the trigger on an expensive reel just yet. After this new custom rod came home a little while back that weighs about as much as a sneeze it might be getting closer.
    It is begging for one of those super light super smooth JDM's. I am hearing the call of them also.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    That’s interesting. Certainly plenty of reel for needs. Wonder what the weight is? I’m wanting something very light but I’m too cheap to pull the trigger on an expensive reel just yet. After this new custom rod came home a little while back that weighs about as much as a sneeze it might be getting closer.

    The new Soare XR 500SPG comes in at only 130 grams...or 4.5 ounces. The new Nasci 500 comes in at 170 grams.


    Regards
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillchaser999 View Post
    I think the reason is the 1000 and larger reels have gotten lighter .
    But I still like a 500 size reel on my shorter rods .
    I Enjoy fishing with a combo that weighs less than 8 ounces total .
    I think that is a big factor. I bought a 500 size Shimano for just that reason and it is a nice reel, but after using it I will only buy 1000s in the future. The Daiwa Legalis 1000 that I have my eye on comes in at 6.5 Oz, and unLess I want to spend a lot more money it is a real nice weight for all of my rods. My all up is about 8.5 oz or so, and a real pleasure to fish with.
    Bob
    Likes skeetbum, LVSpinfisher1 LIKED above post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Seven Valleys
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you are on a tight budget, Piscifun makes several size 500 reels. I own a ViperX in the 1000 size and it's pretty nice for a budget reel. The Piscifun reels aren't nearly as refined as the Shimano's. Last year I bought a jdm version of the 21 Shimano Ultegra and as expected you can clearly feel that it is much better quality than the Piscifun.

    One thing you may notice about the Shimano 500 size reels are that they sometimes don't have some features the same model has in the larger sizes. For example, the jdm version of the 21 Shimano Nasci doesn't include XShip or Silent Drive, but the 1000 and above do include those features.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP