HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: For Someone New To Tying

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Anybody have a thought on this Deluxe kit from cabalas???

Attachment 24931

Thans,mikeb
    Yes it has things you will not use for tying jigs. Especially the whip finish tool is for flies and will not work on jigs.

If you have read my post I feel sure you know I don't think much of kits for several reasons, but I have not looked at either of these that well, but I do see the wrong Whip finish tool and I bet the bobbins are not ceramic.

Just my opinion and I am sure you can find some that like kits.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Yes it has things you will not use for tying jigs. Especially the whip finish tool is for flies and will not work on jigs.

If you have read my post I feel sure you know I don't think much of kits for several reasons, but I have not looked at either of these that well, but I do see the wrong Whip finish tool and I bet the bobbins are not ceramic.

Just my opinion and I am sure you can find some that like kits.

Skip
    The whip finish tool will not work on jigs????

I use it on every jig that I tie, no matter the kind.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like to whip finish by hand and use ceramic bobbins.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southeasttackle View Post
    The whip finish tool will not work on jigs????

I use it on every jig that I tie, no matter the kind.
    Not the kind in that picture. I use a whip finish tool also, but it is not a Thompson style. It is a Matarelli style whip finisher that works on jigs where the Thompson is made to turn very close around the hook eye and not around a jig head.

It makes a huge difference in the finish and how it is done so we don't need new people buying a kit that has a whip finish tool that will not work on what they are doing.

If in fact you use a Thompson style on jig heads please show us all how that works for you.

Please look at what I am talking about before you try and correct.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are like me and have trouble with dry hands for the thread to catch on every time. Plus after a while it is easier for me to use the tool and I also like the extended reach for some things so I have both and a Thompson for flies since it came in a kit.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Not the kind in that picture. I use a whip finish tool also, but it is not a Thompson style. It is a Matarelli style whip finisher that works on jigs where the Thompson is made to turn very close around the hook eye and not around a jig head.

It makes a huge difference in the finish and how it is done so we don't need new people buying a kit that has a whip finish tool that will not work on what they are doing.

If in fact you use a Thompson style on jig heads please show us all how that works for you.

Please look at what I am talking about before you try and correct.

Skip
    Yes the kind in the picture~ I use that one in the picture. Never had a problem. I looked at what you were talking about - you are wrong my friend they will work on jigs. I have tied thousands with that kind of finish tool in th picture. Maybe I need to show you how. Just because you sell a few jigs on a crappie forum does not make you the lone authority.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

To use a Thompson whip finish tool on jigs - Use the tool the same as you would your hand for hand finishing. You don't hook the tool onto the hook as you would do for tying a fly.
    Leave about one inch of thread between your tool and the jig. Let the tool rotate in your fingers as you rotate the tool around the jig.
    Makes a nice neat and fast finish.
    I would not have said so If I didn't know what I was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southeasttackle View Post
    To use a Thompson whip finish tool on jigs - Use the tool the same as you would your hand for hand finishing. You don't hook the tool onto the hook as you would do for tying a fly.
    Leave about one inch of thread between your tool and the jig. Let the tool rotate in your fingers as you rotate the tool around the jig.
    Makes a nice neat and fast finish.
    I would not have said so If I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Great so now you are an authority and I don't clame to be. I don't like that one even for flies and the Matarelli works best for me and I would never actually recommend something I don't like. I don't like the Thompson and from everything I read about them and have used them on flies, but it is not made for jigs or big head type things. It is plane and simple not as versatile!

So teach away to someone that wants to use one. One thing for sure a Matarelli is so much easier to use on jigs it not even a contest. That is my opinion and I will not talk about this any longer and will not recommend one.

I don't claim to know everything, but I am willing to jump in and help teach what I do know.

A quote from FAOL...."This week we'll learn how to use the Matarelli whip finisher. This is the easiest of the two whip finishers to use. It can be used on a variety of flies, but it is much easier than the Thompson to use on bullet head, jig head, bead head, cone head and foam head flies. Any time you need to create a whip knot back away from the hook eye, this is the tool for the job."

Yes I sell a few jigs, but what does that have to do with it? You seem to want to make this a personal thing and that is not allowed here. If all you wish to do is argue then find someone else.

Have a great day!

Skipi

Peak Vise Dealer
    Likes BoarBuster, Trapperpete52 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom1939 View Post
    Just want to congradulate this site as the most informative and
    helpful I have came across. If one reads the posts on here and
    accepts the help offered, I see no reason they can't learn and
    be tying their own jigs and flies. Thank all of you for a really good
    job..
    You're welcome.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast