HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite bluegill rod

Post Thanks / Like

I play it old school with a 5ft UL saber my dad gave me. I also like a 7 or 7'6 diawa spinmatic UL. I fish it for gills, crappie, perch and trout.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite rod is a 6' shimano clarus UL. I would like to have a 7' rod like it but they dont make it in a 1 pc.

Post Thanks / Like

I was catching fish on cane poles, not to be confused with the (cane Pole) from tenn. before there was a decent rod available, but there is something about catching a fish on a G-Lumis that just makes it worth the money. It doesnt have to be a G-L but a quality rod makes the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I like he Feather Lite from Eagle Claw in a 5' range. paired up with a small underspin (Eagle Claw also) or spinning reel (Shimano). They work great for Bream and Crappie and I was able to get 3 rods and 3 reels for about $50 on Ebay. All brand new and shipped right to the house. I love the ultralight stuff and it makes any fish you hook a lot of fun to get in the boat...
    Dave Courington
    Nitro 640LX

Post Thanks / Like

I own half dozen og the GL rods. There is nothing that compares to them. when you can feel a dragon fly light on your rod, it is called sensitive. Hi end but well worth the . great warranty too. If you break it just call GL and they will ship you another immediately for $75.00. I have a custom GL that i had made back in 85. never had a problem with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Bluegill rod

I have been in the sporting goods industry as a rep for 28 years. I have many, many rods that I have acumulated over the years. Many high dollar, and many in between. My favorite, Storm Thunderstick. About 10.00 retail with a yellow tip. I pair it with a rather spendy spincast reel, Zebco Omega 2. The reel is about 50.00. Nice, but on the heavy side. Those are my favorites, and I never was a rep. for either of these companies.
    Likes Fren5 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I only fly fished for several years after I got back into fishing. Last year I finally dug out my old spinning gear, fought with it for wall season, and this winter order up a couple of new rod/reel combos.

But what I love to hook a good heavy bluegill with is a 9' 4wt. fly rod I made myself several years ago. Set the hook on a sippin' slab, take that rod about double as they spiral down. Boy I love that rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a new Shimano Convergance 5&1/2 footer and love it. Only 53 dollars! I put a Browning Superlite reel on it w/ some Stren #4 and have had great success with it. I also have great fondness for the 5&1/2 foot B&M w/ the same reel and line. However a word of caution! When ever you have a rod with a higher moduals count be very careful so as not to ding it on a hookset. They are very strong rods but a ding or nick on a hookset may endup leaving you tipless at a later date, it did me. Fortunatly Shimanos guarentee is such that you just take it back and get a new 1.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

For a cork and cricket i like a 5' 6" light action rod like Wally Marshall or BPS tourney series. For casting 1/32 beetle spins, small panther martins and other artificials to bream I like a 5' UL rod, and when i am flush I buy the Falcon series.

Post Thanks / Like

I also havent found the "perfect rod" for gills as of yet.
    I really enjoy my 2 shimano convergence ultralights (5'6")
    But I would like longer rods for float fishing for gills.
    I had a 7' UL from st croix (on sale for $99) for 1 day that I enjoyed...until I slammed it in my car door. the warrentee didnt cover accidents and gander wouldnt take it back either...unless I lied about it :P
    ...lol gives me a quesy sensation just thinkin about that rod =(

There was an interesting article in in-fisherman this month that mentioned a rod maker making rods for gills from a 1weight flyrod.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast