HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utility trailer great for transporting and launching small aluminum boats

Post Thanks / Like

Good job getting that back into prime condition!
    The three rachet/straps hold the boat firm to the floor and there is zero playfor any movement in any direction. That's one advantage of a flat bottom boat on an unpainted wood floor. Rollers would be a must for a kyak or a canoe.

The thing about utility trailers is that there is no spring suspension or shock absorbers to make the transport a bit less bumpy. I guess slow is a must on backroads.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone in a fishing group was looking for a Jon boat to throw in their truck. No registration, just paddle where they wanted to go. I found one on Marketplace for $200 with trailer. He replied, one of the wheels locked up coming home, you want the trailer for $100. I'm picking it up today for $50.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the trailer home, looked at the date code on the tires, 1208 and 2209, no spare. It's a wonder they didn't blow up. Flipped the trailer over, left side bearings well greased and in good shape. Will need a new spindle and hub for the right side. Got a few places to call today. Ordered 3 new wheels from amazon last night.

Post Thanks / Like

After cleaning the square bolts super good I broke one. Carried the axle to a shop this morning, said it's rated 1,500 lbs. Replacement spindle and hub assembly will cost $240. I can get a new 1,800 rated axle for $140, a pair of hub assemblies for $50. Getting the order started now.
    Likes STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention the noise problem caused by the hitch and trailer angle to it: the more horizontal the trailer the better.
    Name:  prifile.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  101.7 KB

If you notice in the above picture, the trailer is at an upward angle to a high ball hitch. The clanking is annoying even on smooth road. I haven't a clue why I thought the angle was what caused the noise, but installing something that would level the trailer seemed feasible. Enter the 8-Position Adjustable Ball Mount Tow Hitch.
    Name:  hitch height adjustment.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  23.7 KB

The trailer rides horizontal to the road and the noise is gone!
    Attachment 459535Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  108.5 KB

Another thing I noticed that was when the forward strap is connected near the bumper, the trailer sways back and forth at any speed above 30mph. The handle on the trailer seemed a better place to attach it and now no more sway!!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 05-25-2023 at 03:22 AM.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    I have a long bed Silverado truck that was okay for transporting 10 v bottom and 11' flat bottom boats. In order to start loading both types, I had to get up into the back of the truck, pull the bow up high enough and then pull the boat down flat. Getting off of the truck was risky, jumping down to the ground sliding off the side.

A buddy suggested I look into a utility trailer to transport, launch and load. I got this one from Tractor Supply:
    Attachment 458336
    At first I left the steel gate folded down but the boats were unstable in transport. Removing the two bolts was easy and with the gate being removed, allows the boats to stay flat on the treated wood floor. I found it absolutely essential that 3 ratchet straps secure the boat: one at the bow to the handle on the hitch, one across the bow and one across the back of the boat secured to the trailer sides.

The nice thing is that I can leave my 2.5hp gas motor, trolling motor & battery, plus anything else that won't blow away when transporting going 55mph. Most important is how easy it is launching and loading the boat. I just dip the back end of the trailer floor into the water and easily pull the boat bpw all the way for it to be strapped first. Otherwise the combined weight of the motors and battery make the bow jump into the air. No getting into the water and needing boots!

Great for boats under 12', not so good for larger craft unless you go up in trailer size. Hey at $1000 plus registration, a heck of a lot cheaper than a boat trailer! Now if I can only learn how to back the thing without jack knifing in small parking areas.....

I was thinking of doing the same thing for a Bass Raider 10E. I also have though about using a trailer from HB that has a capacity of 1750# and only putting the runners that I need to support the boat.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Check marketplace first. Can find a pretty good used boat trailer cheaper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12