Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fish a light jig in deep water?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpauliber View Post
    I’ve tried both ways and wasn’t successful either way. Is one way typically better than the other? Most times I’m using sidescan to locate cribs or brush in deep water and trying to vertically jig most times though.
    I only cast and retrieve….so that is how I base my setup. I wouldn’t say one way is better than the other.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another question. Are you tying a tight to the hook type knot, or using a loop knot???
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Another question. Are you tying a tight to the hook type knot, or using a loop knot???
    Tight to jig.

Post Thanks / Like

In Jigging, whether straight down, under a bobber, or even slowly swimming the jig back I have found I catch more using a loop knot, unless using 2lb line. It allows the jig to be more horizontal, without constantly adjusting the knot on the jig. Richard Gene has a great video on you tube showing how its done. I'll see if I can find it and try to post it up.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link to Richard Gene's way of tying the loop knot for ya...How To Tie A Loop Knot For Fishing - Plus A Crappie Jig Secret ! - YouTube. hope it helps.
    Likes Rojo, flymoron LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

as mentioned reduce the line size is the best bet and set the drag accordingly , and also as mentioned tandem up too ....
    there is a fine art to deep water and small jigs that takes a while to adjust to ....patience is the key
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

AND ALWAYS USE A LOOP KNOT

Post Thanks / Like

It more depends on the wind but adding split shot above the jig can actually help uf the crappie bites up, go about 5 inches above the jig, or like someone else said, use 2 jigs. If you can get some minnows try a double minnow rig, attracts a lot of attention

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Here's the link to Richard Gene's way of tying the loop knot for ya...How To Tie A Loop Knot For Fishing - Plus A Crappie Jig Secret ! - YouTube. hope it helps.
    Awesome, thanks! I’ve watched some of his videos. Go fishing cause it’s goooooood for you! Haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpauliber View Post
    I’ve tried both ways and wasn’t successful either way. Is one way typically better than the other? Most times I’m using sidescan to locate cribs or brush in deep water and trying to vertically jig most times though.
    tip your jig with a berkley gulp brand crappie nibble in glo white and put it right above the fish your seeing semi vertically , let it slowly fall in an arc back to the fish after you pitch it out past them a bit , if the water is super clear you might be spooking em with the boat if you get right on top of them ...
    thank me later

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast