HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Comparison.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparison.

Y’all know that my knowledge and experience with better than average gear is limited. I’m going to buy one reel to go with my latest rod build which will be in the two ounce neighborhood. I’ve looked at the Soare XR spg and the newer vanford in 500s for both. Some money difference but I’m only doing this once, I think, and want to hit the mark. Anyone know anything they can share to help my education before I put the money down? Thanks in advance.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Y’all know that my knowledge and experience with better than average gear is limited. I’m going to buy one reel to go with my latest rod build which will be in the two ounce neighborhood. I’ve looked at the Soare XR spg and the newer vanford in 500s for both. Some money difference but I’m only doing this once, I think, and want to hit the mark. Anyone know anything they can share to help my education before I put the money down? Thanks in advance.

Have not seen a Vanford 500S anywhere. What I can tell you is the Soare XR 500 is available on digitaka right now for $210. It so the last one...and one thing I know if one sees a reel, and ponders too long it will be gone. Curious where you are seeing a Vanford 500S. You will not go wrong with either but I sure like the Soare.

Regards

DIGITAKA! - Japan Fishing Tackle Store

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response Randy. I haven’t tried to order one yet and I google the model and have learned what I can from their listing and the reviews from ifish. I’m liking the soare and will look into it when I get home. Can’t pull the trigger right now. I want it yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I can see you really enjoying the 500 size Soare. I am mostly a Daiwa only man but they don’t really make a quality size 500 so I bought the Shimano Soare XR for small trout streams. It is a good quality reel that would be comparable in size to the smaller reels you like. Here are a few pics of it in action.
    Name:  68B42D6E-FEDC-4027-BDA7-71D8E05FF9FE.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  151.2 KB
    Name:  B348B7D7-77E7-4051-8750-9BB1C9DA98F8.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  156.8 KB
    Name:  88310C95-885E-4997-8D3F-E6557223C7FF.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  153.2 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a great lookin brookie! Glad that someone has one of those reels that can speak from experience. In the reviews I’ve heard talk of two ways for the spool to oscillate up and down. One being a worm gear and the other being a locomotive gear. In the Stradic reviews, which is a direct cousin to the vanford, there’s an occasional mention of a kind of grumbling or gear meshing feeling. I felt it myself on a used stradic I looked at and passed on. If the oscillation system on the vanford is the same as the stradics that I felt that in then I’m not interested. The Soare is looking better all the time. Now to get the funds in place that I can play with. Thank you both for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Soare XR 500. It’s a decent reel. Gets the job done. Mine doesn’t have a very smooth drag, but it’s smooth nonetheless. I would say my other JDM reels have soother drags and are better. Have had others praise the Soare XR. So maybe mine requires some tuning. Perhaps… I am yet to even remove the spool to check the insides.

Name:  IMG_7386.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  93.7 KBName:  IMG_7390.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  92.1 KB

Caught a bunch on it today evening without issues. Drag sound is better than the Daiwas I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish right there. Good luck with your research, skeet.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at the 500 Sahara yesterday and weight knocked it off the list. This weekend I used the Pres against a couple of pretty good fish and had no issues with it. It may continue where it is and another larger reel get the nod for use on another rod I have for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking of trying one of the KastKing Kestrel 1000 SFS reels in a couple of weeks.
    I own the KK Zephyr 1000 SFS reels ant 5.3oz and found them to be acceptable.
    The new Kestrel is 4.6oz .
    Both are shallow spool reels . The only ones sold directly in the USA market that I know of .
    At least if I don’t like it , I have thirty days to return it.
    “ The bigger the Bend , the Wider the Grin ! “
    Likes Tradbow, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Still on the fence but the moneys right now. Something will happen soon.