Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Material question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Material question

Ok I am sorry more just getting into tying questions?

From what I gather from YouTube most crappie jigs use Chenille, and Marabou feathers.

1. What are the better brands of these materials to use?
    2. I have also see flash used. Same question for this.
    3. Any recommendations on tools? IE Bobbin, Scissors, Bodkin and Whip. Asking for good middle of the road brands not low end or pro level tools.

Thank You in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

I would steer you to the sticky at the top of this forum. Hopefully this will answer most of your questions. And actually there is really only about one manufacturer for most of these materials Danville so it almost all comes from same place.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-...m/49489-tying/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artjr View Post
    Ok I am sorry more just getting into tying questions?

From what I gather from YouTube most crappie jigs use Chenille, and Marabou feathers.

1. What are the better brands of these materials to use?
    2. I have also see flash used. Same question for this.
    3. Any recommendations on tools? IE Bobbin, Scissors, Bodkin and Whip. Asking for good middle of the road brands not low end or pro level tools.

Thank You in advance!

I typically use hackle not marabou. I only use marabou on very small jigs like 1/64 or 1/80. Believe it or not you can get flash from the Christmas section of Hobby Lobby. You can get lifetime supply in gold, silver and red for $1.99 a pack. Make sure you get a bobbin with a ceramic tip so you want be cutting your thread. I have a pair of scissors that comes from a grooming kit and they were dirt cheap. A whip finisher is a basic tool so just about anyone will due. Like stated most chenille comes from the same company.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Takeum is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I’d study first what type or look of a jig your wanting to build first so you can know what jigs are made from,,,so many millions of materials can be used,,,,the fact is, I could suggest til the cows come home what you should buy, then you find out that’s Not what you wanted to build,,, so look around at different jigs first, then ask what they are made of before building,,,sort of like a chef needing a recipe first before cooking that meal,,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Takeum is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s an example,,,#1.jigheads,,,what size and style your looking to build first,,,also hook size,,,
    #2,,Thread,,,what color thread do you intend to start with? I suggest starting with white and a black,,,goes with most jigs built..
    #3 glue,,,you need either a tying type glue, superglue or finger nail topcoat,,,all work similar,,,I prefer superglue and nail topcoat
    #4 body section,,,most agree chenille fits the bill here,,,now comes picking what color chenille and type material it’s made from,,,I suggest new age chenille,,,it’s the going thing,,,
    #5 tail,,, big Choice here as well such as marabou,hackle,,,saddle or neck hackle,,,,squirrel tail, bucktail, foxtail, ect ect, ect…and of course what colors to match your build,,,,
    #6 flash,,,again,,,lots of choices,,,tinsel type flash, crystal flash, bait emulator flash,,,fine hair stuff,,,and lists goes on with of course, color…

That’s about all I can think of for now to start,,,a person can start off spending thousands or they can like a cook, start with 1 recipe at a time, build several of that same jig until your skill gets honed,,,or like me, go sell a few toys and drop a grand or so to start, and waste half your materials on mistakes,,,lol….feel free to message me anytime,,I’m here like all the time,,,retired and stuck at home caretaking for my bride,,,,Andy Aka Takeum
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am new to tying as well. I have ordered materials to experiment with just to see what I will actually want to use. Takeum says figure out what jig, but how does one actually do that. LOL….I am all over the place. So I am choosing materials in the colors I know I will want to see my jigs made in. For me that is:

Pink, White, Blue, Purple, Chartreuse, and Lime.

Maraboo is easy to work with and provides good results early on. Inexpensive. Woods and Water will sell you some that is a nice quality, a good amount, dyed very nicely, and at a fair price. They also have chenilles that are more than acceptable and can be shipped at the same time.

Animal hairs are tricky. A nice bucktail would be a good choice. Others that you will eventually want to try would be Arctic Fox TAIL, squirrel TAIL, calf TAIL. From there you will see lots of choices as most furry critters get formed into flies at some point. A nice high quality hair that I enjoy is Finn Coon, but Elk, Moose, Goats and possums are available. To choose, read as much as you can or just order some and start playing. That’s my style.

Feathers are all over the place as well. Chicken feathers are ready to order in a wide variety of styles and colors. Read about hackle feathers, and get some of them. Chickens have a saddle (rump) and a cape (neck) and are bred to produce certain shapes and styles. Mostly this is for the fly tying guys, but ones suitable for jigs are cheap, with neck hackle being most popular.

Ostrich, pheasant, Hungarian Partridge, peacock, Jungle Cock, and many many more all can be used for specific fly fishing flies, but are available to you to experiment with.

Feathers are less durable than hair, but that may not matter to you. Marabou doesn’t last long in 50 degree or colder water. In warmer waters marabou has the most action. So it’s a trade off of sorts.

I just ordered some synthetic hair to mess around with. It has it’s own issues I understand, like wadding up when stored in a box where the fur of one tangles with the hook of another. Still a nice bucktail style jig can be very productive.

Each material will have drawbacks that go with the advantages. Your ability to master the techniques associated with each will determine your end product. Get a good tying setup with a good light source and make sure you can see details.

Vices are personal. Some want rotary so they can spin on chenille. To me that is little potatoes. I wanted a vice that will grip the hook without hassles and that was a Regal. Some vices are very expensive, and some dirt cheap.

Hope you enjoy tying jigs as much as some of us do. A fool gets into jig tying to save money or to make money.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post