HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Poaching - Not what you think

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poaching - Not what you think

Since tomorrow is the first day of water trapping in Pa I thought I would do a post on why some areas have few fish.
    Two years ago I worked until lunch and decided to stop at Mountain creek in Cunberland co. since they had stocked trout in it earlier that day. There was one angler fishing a nice run that they always stock so I stopped to chat and I could see some rainbows in the medium current. The water was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep and crystal clear. It was mid April and just a beautiful day to be alive and on one of my favorite streams. Suddenly I noticed something flash in the water and then I could see a mink with one of the fresh stocked trout in its mouth. It ran swam across the creek behind some large stones in the stream. A minute or so later it came back across the creek and dove into a small brush pile against the bank under the water. About 2 or 3 minutes later she came back and she caught her second fish. About 5 minutes later a third rainbow met its death. A few weeks later I was fishing that section and low and behold Mom and 3 or 4 little ones were swimming in the creek. I guess she was stocking up for her little ones also.
    I hear guys that fish catch and release trout areas and complain that that there is poaching do to the lack of fish. Yes there is poaching but perhaps not from fishermen.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post
    Thanks S10CHEVY thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Efficient fishing machines they are.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mink can do some real damage to a fishery and more.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addictedangler View Post
    Since tomorrow is the first day of water trapping in Pa I thought I would do a post on why some areas have few fish.
    Two years ago I worked until lunch and decided to stop at Mountain creek in Cunberland co. since they had stocked trout in it earlier that day. There was one angler fishing a nice run that they always stock so I stopped to chat and I could see some rainbows in the medium current. The water was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep and crystal clear. It was mid April and just a beautiful day to be alive and on one of my favorite streams. Suddenly I noticed something flash in the water and then I could see a mink with one of the fresh stocked trout in its mouth. It ran swam across the creek behind some large stones in the stream. A minute or so later it came back across the creek and dove into a small brush pile against the bank under the water. About 2 or 3 minutes later she came back and she caught her second fish. About 5 minutes later a third rainbow met its death. A few weeks later I was fishing that section and low and behold Mom and 3 or 4 little ones were swimming in the creek. I guess she was stocking up for her little ones also.
    I hear guys that fish catch and release trout areas and complain that that there is poaching do to the lack of fish. Yes there is poaching but perhaps not from fishermen.
    Loved your story, being a country boy all my life have seen a lot of natures crazy things. Had a blue herring take my trout when I went for a pair of pleyers to take it off my hook, he waited till I was at the truck before he took off with the fish snapped 6 lb tested. Was at Bronson Mo. fishing Tanycomo lake great for rainbow trout. Great fishing Poaching - Not what you thinkPoaching - Not what you thinkPoaching - Not what you thinkPoaching - Not what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish the mink would change their diet from fish to cormorant

Post Thanks / Like

The ospreys and eagles are most efficient as well. They know the sight of the stocking truck and the stocking process. All part of Mother Nature’s food chain with a little assist from us.