Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: September

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go…….

Name:  E1F2A7B4-8A96-4365-BCBC-736C29D8CF82.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  85.4 KB

It has decided to come my way after all. Was hoping it would swing wide left and just dust us off a little. Now it looks like high winds will be upon us. Thursday into Friday means it is a slow mover. We are gonna have power lines down for several days. Not much fun. We will be on the right hand side, which is where all the action is.

Today I will gas up five fuel cans to run the generator. I usually get around a can a day or so. Hate to do it, but will need to visit the grocer one more time. Soon the shelves will be barren.

The boss is gonna want me to work non stop to feed the power line workers. Early early mornings and late late nights. All day everyday. My wife will be off work Friday, Sat and Sun and probably Monday maybe Tuesday. She is gonna want that generator running the entire time. TV and fans and flush toilets and such. I need to tell her to do ALL OF THE LAUNDRY NOW.

Before I had a generator, I would fill my bathtub up and use a five gallon bucket to dip water to flush the toilet. I learned that you don’t put the water in the tank, rather just dump it straight into the bowl and like magic the stuff goes away. Now I hook my generator to the well pump.

Cords through the windows to run those multi plug thingies.TV, fans, lights. I never invested in the switches that let you plug straight into the fuse box. No suicide cords for me either. I have seen generators getting wired in to fuse panels before, but I like cords. My fingers prefer cords as well.

Well I been playing with my eyes again. I pop them out and roll them around the floor and stuff. Just kidding. Been playing with my lure eyes again.

Name:  68484153-23CD-40D9-9079-EFF6414F8FA7.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  67.6 KB

The effect is somewhat lost in the photo. They look great in hand.

All of these eyes are over sized for the 1/16th ounce jig head. The edges of the eye reach past the jig head up top, but fit flush everywhere else. It really is a non issue as far as I can see. So what, they stick up a little. Anyways I kind of like the look of the larger eyes. I had the larger eyes in stock and decided to see how things looked with a plastic bait attached.

The hot pink one has eyes that I made from some old holographic vinyl sheeting stuff I had laying around. I used a hole puncher to make a plug and peeled the backing away and adhered them. Then I squirted some UV resin on them and let it spread out to beyond the edges and onto the jig head, then froze it with the light to seal the eye. Encapsulated it. Not too shabby actually.

Here is a punched out holographic disk that I added to a willow leaf blade.

Name:  914829F4-BF68-4ABB-B54A-2135A9539B35.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  87.7 KB

The picture is better, but still nothing like having it in hand. It looks like a diamond encrusted blade. I am sure it will flash like nobody’s business.

Most hole punches are 1/4” in size, which is a tad more than 6 mm. I was going to make printed eyes and do this technique, and still might. The issue is printing onto what ? They sell photograph useful papers, but if water gets in there it would be a mess. I would need to completely seal the thing. I will revisit all of this one day and see if I can make the coolest eyes ever.

I don’t understand why people use jigs without paint or eyes. I mean they seem to like to brag about it. I don’t get it. Now if I were losing a bunch of jigs every time I went that would be different. Still they like to say that they don’t believe in paint or eyes. Maybe they are absolutely right and the fish never notice. Still if they fish a bare head, they are still using a color. Grey.

I have gone through a metamorphosis with regards to eyes and will probably change some more later as well. I tried making jigs with no eyes but they just look unfinished. Especially when the jig head is not that plain old round ball. Fat Guys sells a nice hatchet head mold but again there is a rounded side where sticking on eyes is not going to work. I see most just painting them and calling it done. I guess painted eyes give a finished look, but not the same as a resin eye. Most jigs that are hand tied seem to have this plain painted head.

Three of the jigs above have not been painted. I just glued the eyes on and done. There really is no effect to gain from painting when the eye takes up almost all of the surface.

Name:  D52C77B0-ABC8-4A4A-BAF1-A51487471FAC.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  100.3 KB

On the heads the eyes look fine. They seem to fit several varieties. The far right is a 1/16th ounce head and the eyes do NOT sit down inside the cavity. Instead I daubed the glue into the cavity, and applied the eye and moved it around some to get good coverage on the rim of the cavity. Should work fine. They are 1/8th ounce heads.

I also have been doing away with the lead bait holder hook thingie. I don’t think it is better than glue. Might be great for someone who uses the same heads and swaps out bodies while fishing, but I show up with finished lures anyways. So no need to shred the bait needlessly. I found that squeezing it down beats cutting it away.

Did I mention that soon I hope to get some larger sized rhinestones. Ooooohhhhhh…….

The great glue hunt just may be over with. Read and old post by Dr Nip where he spoke highly of Godzilla glue. Well I have had three bottles of the stuff and all of them sucked. Then I saw where he was using CLEAR. Ah Hah clear. So I found a bottle of that and have used it on the eyes as seen and it seems to work well. I turn the bottle up at an angle, ooze out a drop, and then touch the jig to apply. Works OK.

So soon enough I will be making some more lightbulb headed jig headed thingies. Over sized light bulb eyes in flashy neon UV glow colors. Cool.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cords are best. Back feeding an electrical panel can kill line crews if not done correctly. Transformers work in both directions.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  C37A732A-8A46-4D40-A52A-DDF08940C131.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  2AE6DF97-98E8-4977-92FC-DCA4999A25D0.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  927DA1AE-886B-4E81-BF0A-058281148A94.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  62.9 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Our prayers are with everyone that will be affected by Hurricane Ian. As a life long resident of south Louisiana (near the gulf) we know what you are going through. AND the thoughts that run through your minds.

We’re praying for your physical protection and protection of all of your assets…

Be Blessed…
    Danny and Patsy Ayo
    Thanks Micanopy, Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for everyone effected by IAN. C.C Members, Family and others. Looks really bad.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Well….. so far the hurricane has not produced much damage around my parts. I suppose as the Sun rises and people start to go outside, we will see severe damage along the South West Coastal areas. The storm is moving slowly and that is not good, but it is starting to weaken. It is a very odd feller. The power was not where it usually can be expected, but rather opposite.

My local weather liars are all predicting 25-30 mph winds here today. So I imagine we will have some power outages, but nothing like the electric company had been planning for. I can’t see the out of state crews hanging out around here, where we would be feeding them. They are gonna be needed way South of us.

If they leave, not sure what we will do with all of the food we loaded up into our refrigerated trailers yesterday. Then there were the trucks we loaded with canned goods and plates and all manner of stuff. Some of that stuff was defrosted just to get ready, and will no doubt be tossed if no one eats it soon. ( lights just now flickered as I wrote that ) Anyways, I hope that by Friday we will know what we are going to do. They have me scheduled to go and cook for linemen this weekend.

Maybe we will drive Southward and cook down there, but I doubt it. The power companies down there probably made their own deals, with companies in their area. No sense delivering our food to them as they will want to make some profit on the sale of food. i guess I will find out what is going to happen to that food.

The shame of this storm, is not the power or the size, but rather it’s odd movement. It was shown as swinging past SW Florida and heading up into the panhandle. I am afraid that lead folks down there to not prepare. That by the time the pencil heads got done drawing lines showing it hitting those folks it was too late to prepare. I am certain that many were caught off guard. In my area there is a major interstate that those folks have to use to evacuate. Well the roads looked normal for a weekday. No massive caravans headed North sucking all the gas dry as they go.

Even our locals haven’t sucked the gas supply dry. The stations all seem to have plenty. I am sure a few ran out but there are no great shortages. I spoke to one station owner and he was surprised. Said normally they are lined up to get in and get his gas during storms. It is all just so very weird with this storm.

Looking at the projected path, I suspect this storm is going to be listed as one of the more expensive storms. Places that do not normally get hurricane winds are getting hurricane winds. This means things that have been built over the years might get knocked over. People might not realize that there are lots of old trees around that haven’t been tested in a hundred years. The heavy rain softens the ground and that allows the rootball to dislodge and over it goes. Also, trees are designed to withstand winds acting one them in a straight line fashion. There cell walls and such flex. Twisting, swirling winds however twist the tree’s limbs and that makes the trunk twist and trees are not designed to withstand that. They snap leaving a nasty jagged break.

My buddy came over yesterday and removed the electrical panel cover off of my power supply thingie. He placed a breaker in the box and wired a heavy duty wire into that breaker. He showed me how to remove the neutral wire from the box. So now if the power goes out, I can remove the neutral wire, flip off all of the breakers. Make sure the main breaker is off. Start generator and plug into it. Then start flipping breakers on to run the household stuff.

To shower, I will turn on the hot water heater. Then after an hour, turn it off and turn on the well pump and get showered up. Take a leak, go ahead and flush. Then later flip the well pump on to fill tank. Last night we slept with the sliding glass doors open. We have a set in the kitchen, a set in the living room, and a set in our bedroom. The temperature was very pleasant and I was able to sleep just fine without running the a/c. I told her if she heard a loud noise to awaken me. Never happened. All quiet over night. Soon the Sun will light up the sky and I will be able to assess damage, if any at all.

If you ever move to Florida, consider a cinder block house. No it won’t protect you from getting the roof torn off, but it will save you from having to evacuate. There is nothing worse than evacuating. One year we had a storm and people were evacuating. I saw them lined up on the road, sitting there bumper to bumper. Bird cages, dogs, kids, the whole deal. Well that year they could not get away and weathered the storm in the cars. Stuck on the highways. Tough lesson but those people will never evacuate ever again.

The issue is water. Rising waters wash people to their deaths. Trees can topple over onto you just about anytime actually. The rising waters though are the real killers. Katrina killed in that manner. It wasn’t the winds it was the flood. Galveston, Texas had a large loss of life a hundred years ago due to flooding. In the Keys, there was a bad killer storm. The people there survived the winds, but not the water. It just flowed right over top of the land and washed people away.

I am sure the surf fishermen are mad as hell. This will put an end to the great mullet run. Not sure why, but storms like this ruin the run every time. Not sure where the fish go, but they will not be running the beach any more. My buddies have been having some fun catching flounder and jack crevalle and sharks. Oh well.

Well it is getting light now, so I am gonna go take a peak.

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are k. Thanks for sharing this
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

They are reporting hundreds of deaths in Lee County. That is Ft Myers area. I suspect storm surge washed into their homes. A real shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad y'all made it through alright. Flood waters are definitely hard to deal with. I lived in Mobile, Alabama when Katrina came through. That was a wet storm. Flooding a couple of feet above the 100 year flood mark. Water got up into the backyard. People living closer to the bayou were being rescued by the National Guard. I have 5 pickup loads of leaves in my small little yard. The tunnels under the Mobile River lost power to the pumps and started to flood
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you weathered the worst of it ok. Stay safe my friend.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast