Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Two Step Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two Step Paint

I have been told that some Pro Tec Powder Paints are supposed to be used in a 2-step process. But there seems to be a couple of ways of doing that. One for certain kinds of paint and the other process for other kinds of paint. What I was told is that some jigs should be painted, cured and then painted again with the final color. Such as paint with silver paint, cure, paint with red paint and cure again. Others you heat, paint, reheat with a second kind of paint and then cure one time. But it's all confused in my mind about which kinds of paint to use for which process. Can someone give me a good tutorial on how to do that or point me to a website that explains it all in detail. I'm a note-taker, so I need to get the information, make notes about what to do when and save the notes so I can refer to them when I'm actually painting.

Specifically, I need to know about how to apply Pearl Pepper, Pro Tec Candy Paints, like Candy Red or Candy Blue, and how to apply Glow and Super Glow paints like Glow Yellow and Super Glow Blue. How noticable is the difference between double dipping and just dipping them once and being done?

Thanks

GF
    Last edited by Gill Fisher; 07-24-2022 at 04:25 PM.

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about this two step processing you mention. I have never applied paint over top of a cured jig head.

As with many of the paints that I use, I like to start with a bright white coating, then apply the paint that I wish to end up with. For example: heat the jig, dip and swirl in white, back to heat, then dip and swirl in glow yellow, then cure in oven. This will provide the best coloration. A straight dip into say pink, yields one tone of pink, but that same pink over top of white first, yields a different brighter tone. The glow paints really do so much better when dipped into white first, as do the UV enhanced paints. I suspect this is because the white helps to reflect outwards. Some of my paints require two dips into the final color in order to get the tone I desire.

I suspect that you might get some guidance regarding this process you are interested in, but it really will come down to you experimenting and getting your feet wet.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use disco silver first , then dip again in any candy color and it comes out amazing….
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes S10CHEVY, flymoron, Dexterpreacher LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Andy!
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    I use disco silver first , then dip again in any candy color and it comes out amazing….
    Thanks, Takeum. Let me be sure about this. Do you bake after the disco silver, then reheat, dip in candy and bake a second time? Or do you do both dips and then bake once?

Post Thanks / Like

Gill. No. Dip in disco, then reheat slightly if needed , then again in candy red or other candy color,,,you can actually redip as many colors as needed,,some do up to 4 color dips or more,,,,that would consist of base color like disco,,then say yellow candy over it,,,, then sprinkle a paint on top, then on bottom,,crazy huh,,,,this is an example,,” Firetiger” paint job,,,,4 step paint
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Likes S10CHEVY, GrumpyLoomis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Firetiger,,,It looks like only 2 paints but it’s actually 4 step,,,,disco silver, then candy yellow over it,,, then sprinkle green over top, then orange on bottom,,,,works with regular color paints too, just isn’t as sparkly,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Likes Dexterpreacher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    Gill. No. Dip in disco, then reheat slightly if needed , then again in candy red or other candy color,,,you can actually redip as many colors as needed,,some do up to 4 color dips or more,,,,that would consist of base color like disco,,then say yellow candy over it,,,, then sprinkle a paint on top, then on bottom,,crazy huh,,,,this is an example,,” Firetiger” paint job,,,,4 step paint
    This paint looks amazing. Going to have to look at some candy colors now

Post Thanks / Like

Wes,,,last 2 pictures are regular powders,,,,first dip in base color like yellow chartruce, then take a pinch of black while still warn and make blotches like these above,,,I call it my kowabunga jig,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Likes flymoron LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those look too good fish with.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along