HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: September

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default September

August was a hot one, but it is gone now. This month is when we get a few days of cooler weather. Not many mind you, but a few. The earth has wandered millions of miles through space to get us to cooler weather, it would be nice if at least one human acknowledged the effort. It is also prime time hurricane season. Little disturbances come off of the African continent, catch a ride on the trade winds and just as they get close to us, they explode into monsters. I am inland quite a bit so by the time they get to me they are mostly an annoyance.

This change in angle to the Sun also means that the temperature in the local lakes will begin to drop and that turns the fish on. They get to feeling more lively. Their little biological calendars notify them it is time to get frisky and start swallowing some stuff. I shall be ready with these.

Name:  CEBC18DA-1BD6-4AAA-93EE-6B7E60F55013.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  58.3 KB
    Name:  DE3E524B-1ED6-4709-9CFC-919146AB33AF.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  54.4 KB

The eyes are Flat Back Rhinestones in the 5 mm size. They sell them 1,400 or so for $8 or so. Not too shabby. They have all sorts of colors to choose from. These are neon, and they have other neon colors to choose from as well. Glue on just like a 3D eye. They sell rhinestones that have an adhesive on the back, and you apply some heat and the glue melts, and then sticks. However this glue is meant for fabrics, not solid surfaces. It has to get into the weave to stick. I made sure I was not getting that kind.

They are shaped stones, cut as if they were crystals. Multi facetted, as can be seen in the orange jig above. I daubed a dab of black paint to make a pupil. The top surface of the rhinestone is a flat circle. Perfect for adding a round pupil with ease. Of course they would be fine without it, but I wanted to see what they looked like. The paint is acryllic and I started fingering them up before they had dried. Some of the paint escaped.

Here they are under a UV light. They glow like light bulbs.

Name:  0D68EB4B-F3C7-401F-89D3-CD627BFF1985.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  37.6 KB

Even when viewed in natural visible light they tend to pop right out at you. Very bright and being rhinestones, they offer some shimmer as well. They glowed really well as the light faded away last night on the deck. They really stand out, even from a distance.

Name:  507B75B7-204C-49C1-B28A-7AADEBCFBA37.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  51.9 KB

Adding baits to the heads yields these. I need to play around some with choosing baits in order to get better matches, but these would catch a fish. When they are biting that is. LOL

Name:  0AB79254-AA4E-4EF9-99C8-166B09BBEABE.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  62.5 KB

Here is the view from above, which is similar to the view from below. You can see that the stones alter the profile of the head. Making it much wider than the way the head would look with 2D eyes, or no eyes. The head retains it’s wedge shape. Hatchet head. You can see the flat surface where I aimed the black paint for the pupil. Most of my plastics are wide enough to where they will match up nicely with this widened look.

I envision these as being very visible underwater due to the UV glow aspect of the stones. I am just about finished with my experiments with eyes. Rhinestones, sequins, 2D eyes being turned into 3D eyes. I still want to print my own eyes from the computer. They would look awesome.

I did some research about trolling. Up in the great white North, they troll for salmon. There are some salmon that were introduced into the Great Lakes, and these salmon do not get large, but are tasty. Kokenee or some such silly name. Anyways these fish strike brightly colored lures. The same colors we crappie fishermen tend to use. They use spoons and harnessed objects with churning blades, and all manner of stuff. Very interesting to see how those folks have dialed in those fish.

Well they tend to employ two techniques that caught my attention. Flashers and dodgers. Flashers are metal strips that are placed in line ahead of the lure, and they twirl as they get trolled. Flashing at the fish. Calling them over from great distances, as there is a lot of water to cover.

Dodgers can also flash, but do not spin around, or twirl. They wobble back and forth as they go. The metal they are made from can be bent to impart more wobble or less. Typically, these create friction in the water and can steal away some of the play when landing a big fish, as they drag along. They make small dodgers, too. That is what I ordered.

These can be tricky to figure as everything depends on the speed at which they get trolled. Too fast and they surface, I imagine. Too slow and they just kind of swim along. I guessed and hope that the two styles I chose will work for the speeds at which I troll.

To rig up, I plan to use the poles I normally fish right next to the boat, or just under. The ones in close. I will tie on a 3 Way swivel, and attach a fairly heavy sinker to the bottom eye using a short length of heavy line. Then the third eye will get some heavy line about 18: or so in lenght, tied to the front of the dodger. Then another leader of normal line about 18” to one of my jigs.

At the proper speeds these dodgers will sway, and that will impart action to the jig. Normally trolled jigs do not swim off to one side and back again. They kind of swim in a straight line fashion. My hope is that I can use larger sized jigs, with large baits, swaggering along a few feet above the grassy bottoms to entice large crappie. Something I doubt any of them have ever seen before.

I always wondered how many trolled jigs a large crappie sees in his lifetime. On my lakes probably five or so. Hopefully mine will be the last jig he ever sees. LOL. Well I selected exotic colors……of course. They will be here sometime next week. They call them mini dodgers. I searched this site and found nothing except stories related to fishing for salmon. Maybe I am on to something good, maybe bad, but monkey see- monkey burn fingers has always been my style.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Thanks funfishers thanked you for this post

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done. Always innovating with a purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a good look.

Name:  D058DBC6-7C57-42CE-B419-93F82DDD086B.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  35.4 KB

That was taken in normal visible natural light, at 6:30 pm today.
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  EE393E94-2847-4C4E-9A75-8BEDEEA6A853.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  33.3 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. M you have done a fine job on the jigs for sure. We caught fish up here this week that were laden with fat in their bellies. The feed in the north is on for sure.
    Likes Micanopy, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

IName:  elden  2022.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  132.6 KB know it is not a crappie but he weighed in at 55 and I would wager it had 5 pounds of fat on its belly walls. Fall feed is on.
    Likes Micanopy, Redge, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some great looking jigheads. Great choice with those rhinestones. Never thought about them glowing. Then it dawned on me they would glow well in the blacklights at a dance club. Been a lot of years since I have set foot in one. Those Hurricanes were great times. As an Electrician at the time. It was work like a dog leading up to the storm, when the winds picked up you headed home to prep your stuff. Then when the winds slipped back below 60 mph you were back at work. Worked until you couldn't go any more, took a nap in the truck and back at it again. Took about a week for things to slow back down. Sure don't miss waiting for hours in lines to get gas
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking jig heads.
    Love your posts, I always learn something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome looking jigs
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Likes Micanopy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  4283D6F6-BE26-4E24-8CFA-5AA5D1C6FC65.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  65.2 KB
    Name:  23919B28-B410-4968-A912-6A86A8B24ACE.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  55.5 KB

I kind of like these. What do you think. Black makes the colors really pop. Silver does, too, just not as much. White shows well. I made jig heads using all my color powders, and then laid eyes on each, and looked. Dark blue looked pretty good with the orange and yellow eyes, and a green looked good with the yellow. Finally I decided to try black and silver with all four colors, and now it is time to decide.

Bought some new glue to make eye affixation operations easier. Slow to cure up so I have time to slide eyes around to proper position.

Name:  356AE730-7114-4DDD-BDF7-D60FB9DBCC71.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  84.1 KB

I think I am gonna try 6mm size for these two jig heads. The 3D eye on the two singles is 6.5mm and fits the overall shape of each jig head style nicely, but extends past just a tad. 5 mm sits down inside the eye cavity completely. 6mm would work well and give a larger amount of color, or a giant eyeball effect. That hige eye would look good once a plastic bait is attached.

Got my dodgers in the mail.

Name:  289BB3DE-6D3F-47D6-821A-511C212609A4.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  87.3 KB

Oooohhhhie this is gonna be fun. I am filled with ideas for these devils. I want to put very small lures behind them. Let the dodger carry on with it’s erratic side to side action, with a small minnow imitation being the trailing target. Micro spoons would be a nice choice. They would dance and offer a gorgeous injured minnow interpretive dance. Hopefully irresistible.

Father-in-law birthday today. I’m gonna make baby backs on HIS BRAND NEW Kamado Joe Classic. Yesterday I helped mount his new big screen TV, and fired the kamado up to get some break in. I took it to 225 degrees, then 300, then shut it down to cool. His buddy gave him a two burner Blackstone griddle with two air fryers. It was slightly used. I started cleaning off the top and will start seasoning it today for him. He asked would I take him fishing when it cools down some. His wife retired recently, he retires in October, and they moved up to Gainesville to be near his alma matter and his 3 daughters, two of which moved here to be near my wife. So now the whole lot of them have me surrounded. I think it best I make really good friends with Dad.
    Likes S10CHEVY, ~Joe~ LIKED above post

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast