HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charged Up the Shiner Tank Today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charged Up the Shiner Tank Today

Getting time for Goggle-eye fishing with Shiners here so I went to the Hatchery and bought Shiners to fill the Tank. 3#'s of #4 Emerald Shiners makes it look pretty full, almost crowded. They spooked when I walked up but were swimming very slowly into the current at first glance.

Also added 3 new Hydroponic Air Stones and 2 new 254Gal/hr Air Pumps to the tank this time.

Name:  Tank Charged 1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  Tank Charged 2.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  63.6 KB
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Goggle eyes…..hmmmmmm. The only goggle eyes I know about were a baitfish swimming in inlets in South Florida. I used them as bait. So what is this goggle eye you speak of. ?
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like good times
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micanopy View Post
    Goggle eyes…..hmmmmmm. The only goggle eyes I know about were a baitfish swimming in inlets in South Florida. I used them as bait. So what is this goggle eye you speak of. ?
    Warmouth is another name, maybe the correct one. We always called them Goggle-eye.
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Warmouth is another name, maybe the correct one. We always called them Goggle-eye.
    That's what they are called in Bama also. Some mighty fine eating they are.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Also added 3 new Hydroponic Air Stones and 2 new 254Gal/hr Air Pumps to the tank this time.
    With this summer’s exceptional sustained heat, bait fish dying in bait tanks all over the country/world. Keeping then alive a few hours is difficult, keeping them healthy all day in
    Any bait tank mostly impossible. Dying sloppy bait fish is especially bad this summer and the cost of live bait fish is high whether you catch them or buy them..
    I have read about Supercharging live bait fish - Supercharging Your Live Bait Supercharge Your Live Baits (georgepoveromo.com)

I am not familiar with the benefit of “charging up a shiner tank” your writing about. How does 3 hydroponic air stones do that? What is the point of so many air stones

I am not familiar with the advantage cost or brand of the hydroponic air stones you bought and use. How do I find this type of air stone you speak of, a url to see this air stone maybe?

Question: Why would you need/use 3 air stones? Does using 3 air stones improve the quality of your bait now, today, this summer or no?

I’ve read on fishing forums that gurus using 2 air stones insures twice as much dissolved oxygen and also twice as much dissolved nitrogen. Using three air stones insures 3 times as much DO and dissolved nitrogen; is this why you are using 3 air stones?

Thanks

With this summer’s exceptional sustained heat, bait fish dying in bait tanks all over the country/world. Keeping then alive a few hours is difficult, keeping them healthy all day in
    Any bait tank mostly impossible. Dying sloppy bait fish is especially bad this summer and the cost of live bait fish is high whether you catch them or buy them..
    I have read about Supercharging live bait fish - Supercharging Your Live Bait Supercharge Your Live Baits (georgepoveromo.com)

I am not familiar with the benefit of “charging up a shiner tank” your writing about. How does 3 hydroponic air stones do that? What is the point of so many air stones

I am not familiar with the advantage cost or brand of the hydroponic air stones you bought and use. How do I find this type of air stone you speak of, a url to see this air stone maybe?

Question: Why would you need/use 3 air stones? Does using 3 air stones improve the quality of your bait now, today, this summer or no?

I’ve read on fishing forums that gurus using 2 air stones insures twice as much dissolved oxygen and also twice as much dissolved nitrogen. Using three air stones insures 3 times as much DO and dissolved nitrogen; is this why you are using 3 air stones?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Let me see if I can write clear answers for you, I'm taking a break from welding since 6am this morning.

Keeping Emerald Shiners in a closed system is difficult at best. Ammonia, Nitrogen, lack of dissolved Oxygen, PH, Slime Coat, and Fungus.

Ammonia needs to be purged, we do this 2 ways, large volume of air bubbles carrying the Ammonia to the surface and a 5000 gallon Koi Tank Filter is inline with the water circulation. The micro organisms growing in the filter feed off the Ammonia as well as pollutants in the water cleansing it. Buying 2-4 pounds of shiners at one time, crowding them, these new air stones are eliminating the Ammonia well.

Nitrogen grows slime, algae, & burns the gills of the shiners, the air stones also help greatly to remove excess nitrogen from the water. The Koi filter takes care of the rest. My shiners lived for months before but some would die everyday. Testing the water with my kit show the best quality I water I've ever had.

The higher the water temp the less dissolved Oxygen it will hold in solution. The Ceramic Air Stone in the back producing the micro bubbles along with the extra air in the tank and being in the A/C, my shiners are super frisky.

I use rain water to start the tank with instead of city water. This has significantly lowered the mortality rate form the start. I usually kill off 1/2 the first batch of shiners thru all the accumulated stresses compounded buy the lack of live micro organisms in the Koi filter. It takes time for the shiners to add enough Ammonia to the water to grow and sustain organism life, the added air supply has kept the water in a tolerable state for the shiners while waiting on the organisms to grow in the filter.

I'm a huge fan of Sure-Life products, the water is treated with Shad Keeper, Fungus Aid, Foam Off, Finer Shiner, and to blacken the backs up a bit I add No Pike. No Pike really blackens the shiners up.

I usually add a palm size measure of aquarium salt to the water to aid in Slime Coat production. The workers at the hatchery add salt to my shiner bags before they fill the bags with oxygen. Sure-Life products are big slime boosters too.

Lastly the Hydroponic Air Supply has greatly reduced the fungus growth. On the deads I scoop out I inspect the gills, body, and fins looking for fungus and this time, so far, I don't see any. Also one fungus as it's killing the shiners they spin in circles, more fungus more spinning at one time, none are spinning this time. In 5 years of keeping shiners the only thing I changed was adding the Air System.

I hope you find this useful my friend................Rojoguio

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all this info, appreciate your opinions. Now back to the few questions I have for you again please:

Why would you need/use 3 air stones?

Does using 3 air stones improve the quality of your bait now, today, this summer or no?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast