HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: does color really matter ?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    "I" target specific species with specific lures, and while I do catch other species with those specific lures.."

Wishing or hoping that a species bites vs targeting it are two different things. I target bass with spinnerbaits and skirted jigs knowing for a fact no panfish species wil bite them which in effect excludes panfish. There is no such thing as a crappie-specific lure unless you know of one that I don't.

Now, if you were fishing for crappy mostly in areas you found that held them in numbers, that would be more in line with targeting, though any species in the area will likely strike the same lures.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of "targeting". What I mean by "targeting" is using tried & true lures, in and around the areas/cover items where Crappie are most likely to be given the season & conditions.

I target Bass with cranks, spinnerbaits, plastic worms & craws ... but, I've caught Crappie, Catfish, White Bass, Black Bass, Hybrid Stripers, Drum, various "panfish" species, and Gar while using them. I target Crappie with 2-3" plastics & Road Runners, and still catch other species. Why ?? ,,, probably because my lures resemble the same baitfish that all predator fish eat. I'm not "targeting" those other species, they just happen to be in the vicinity.

When I go fishing, my plan is to catch Crappie ... not just anything that bites the lures I use.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

color did matter yesterday, i was 35yds from a guy yesterday, we were both bobber fishing about 2 ft of line under the bobber from shore, i did not ask him what color he was using, he did not offer either, but i caught about 5 or 6 and he caught about 30.

chet
    Thanks Ketchn thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I target Bass with cranks, spinnerbaits, plastic worms & craws ... but, I've caught Crappie, Catfish, White Bass, Black Bass, Hybrid Stripers, Drum, various "panfish" species, and Gar while using them.
    There will always be exceptions to the rule when it comes to lures, but I'll bet very few crappie are routinely caught on those lures which are big fish baits. On the other hand, all the lures pictured in my posts routinely catch many panfish species and bass/pickerel. Anyone is welcome to go back through many years showing those lures in my crappie.com posts. Nothing has changed.

but i caught about 5 or 6 and he caught about 30.
    What makes you think it was the wrong color that limited your catch? Yesterday my partner and I cast to the same areas using the exact same lure and color. I caught fish 5 to his 1 until he took my advice and went to a lighter jighead after which our numbers were the same. We were fishing in 2.5' of water. Early on, I also caught more fish using a clear plastic curl tail grub vs his Bobby Garland, Baby Shad, straight-tail lure in pearl.

You had too little information to come to that conclusion, like so many that assume without proof or further investigation that something must be the reason for good or poor catches.

(Tip:Lose the float when fish aren't striking.)

Post Thanks / Like

but what color was the lighter jig head is the question ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

There will always be exceptions to the rule when it comes to lures, but I'll bet very few crappie are routinely caught on those lures which are big fish baits. On the other hand, all the lures pictured in my posts routinely catch many panfish species and bass/pickerel. Anyone is welcome to go back through many years showing those lures in my crappie.com posts. Nothing has changed.

What makes you think it was the wrong color that limited your catch? Yesterday my partner and I cast to the same areas using the exact same lure and color. I caught fish 5 to his 1 until he took my advice and went to a lighter jighead after which our numbers were the same. We were fishing in 2.5' of water. Early on, I also caught more fish using a clear plastic curl tail grub vs his Bobby Garland, Baby Shad, straight-tail lure in pearl.

You had too little information to come to that conclusion, like so many that assume without proof or further investigation that something must be the reason for good or poor catches.

(Tip:Lose the float when fish aren't striking.)
    i did not try without the float from shore, not sure i would get out far enough, on the boat i fish more without a float

Post Thanks / Like

not sure i would get out far enough, on the boat i fish more without a float
    Using 6# test line, I can cast a 1/32 oz jig and 2" soft plastic lure +50'. The weight isn't in the jig - it's the weight of the plastic that gets you long distance casts.

Post Thanks / Like

Using 6# test line, I can cast a 1/32 oz jig and 2" soft plastic lure +50'. The weight isn't in the jig - it's the weight of the plastic that gets you long distance casts.

its been 2 years since i had 4lb mono on my crappie set ups, i am now using 10lb suffix 832 braid with a 4lb leader, maybe i should try all mono again, i do have a spool of SOS 4lb here and also using 6.5ft to 7.5ft poles

chet

Post Thanks / Like

The true answer is both yes and no. There are times when I've fished and they hit anything I would throw in the water from live minnows, to soft plastics in various colors, to hair jigs, to Beatle spins. Other times they wouldn't hit anything (including live bait fished various ways) but one particular color jig. Last week I went twice. Fist day I fished with minnows to start. Two small fish. Switched to a 1/16 oz jig. Chartreuse and black jig head with a Bobby Garland Blue Thunder soft plastic. Also tried a the same plastic in a grey top with silver bottom in the same style. They hit both but they would hit the blue faster and more aggressive so I stuck with it the rest of the day. Fished tree tops while the bite was hot, then trolled spider rig when it slowed down. Lost 5 or 6 nice ones spider rigging. Fishing alone so just trying to swing them in the boat. Lost a couple before clearing the side of the boat. Lost a few more that landed on the bow and flipped off before I could grab them. All in all though, it was a great day.

This was Friday's catch. started fishing around 9:00 am. Limited out before 1:00 pm. Had 5 nice bream in the box also. Crowds are too much on the weekends so I don't fish Sat or Sun anymore. One of the advantages of being unemployed and on a fixed income (retired ). Planning on going back Monday.

Name:  crappie 5-13-2022.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  65.4 KB

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20220430_195859.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  42.9 KB as long as the jig head is pink and chartreuse is one of the two colors on my jig body , I don't think it matters . lol
    [IMG]ox1000jpg[/IMG]
    Thanks Ketchn thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No that's what I'm talking about! Color is in the eye of the beholder. Lure action on the other hand is in the brain of the beholder!

i am now using 10lb suffix 832 braid with a 4lb leader, maybe i should try all mono again,
    Spincast or spinning reel? Regardless - never ever mono!!!! F/c not far behind.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast