HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: 500 size reels

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVSpinfisher1 View Post
    Yes it is, Gwg. Designed to go hand in hand with Shimano lightest Ajing rod: Soare ci4+ 408ul (image from Texas fishing forum)…
    Attachment 417761

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Reading back through this post and I have to ask forgiveness for my lack of manners. LV, that’s an excellent looking rig! Looks like I’d like to handle it before ordering one for myself. I’m rod poor but that rod makes me want one. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks LVSpinfisher1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This turned into a great thread with some good info shared. I’m hooked on the 1000 size but good to get the 500 size impressions.
    Bob
    Likes gunwhatgun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    That’s interesting. Certainly plenty of reel for needs. Wonder what the weight is? I’m wanting something very light but I’m too cheap to pull the trigger on an expensive reel just yet. After this new custom rod came home a little while back that weighs about as much as a sneeze it might be getting closer.
    I hear you SB, I'm known for being what I like to term frugal but the call of the very sensitive rod and a ultra light tough reel IS calling my name as well. Plus all those BPS and amazon gift cards make it more likely to happen.
    Likes Fishfishwish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to remember that the classic Mitchells are very old designs - the 300 is from the late 30s/1940s and the 308 is from late 50s/early 60s. It's not fair to compare them to reels of today or even the recent past. I fish them for the fun of it. Yea, they (especially the 300) feel clunky, but I get great pleasure from catching fish on equipment made in the 1950s and 60s. YMMV.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/
    Likes Hatchetjack, BobC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can make most any of the Diawas, Shimano and other better producers reels spin more easily by removing the factory grease (usually too thick and too much) and replacing with the proper amount of quality grease. Soaking the handle bearings and them oiling with Rock Fuel or similar also helps. My cheapo Shimano Sienna reels will rotate from 12:30 to 6 after I changed out the lube. The difference between the low cost and high-end reels will be how smooth the reel feels while still having low inertia.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bass pro shops Carbon light reel 500 size My favorite reel to cast and drag . 8 lb braid casts like a dream.
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfishwish View Post
    It's good to remember that the classic Mitchells are very old designs - the 300 is from the late 30s/1940s and the 308 is from late 50s/early 60s. It's not fair to compare them to reels of today or even the recent past. I fish them for the fun of it. Yea, they (especially the 300) feel clunky, but I get great pleasure from catching fish on equipment made in the 1950s and 60s. YMMV.
    Ffw, I'm with you on "FUN" when using older reel from my collection arsenal. I'm what you call a hybrid angler if you will, meaning I do both fresh and saltwater fishing and the reel I prefer will have to be saltwater capable as well. My heaviest is a FinNor Mega lite 1000 that weighs in a hefty 285g! More than twice the lightest JDM reel in the market today, but the drag on that thing is insane. It's a perfect reel for heavier line for a Ultralight bait-N-wait type fishing but not good for bouncing jighead for panfish. Cheer!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456