HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 lb line

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1 lb line

I would like to get input from y'all one on some 1lb line. I am a monofilament guy by nature but am not opposed to fluorocarbon. I am not a big fan of braid. I always just seem to have issues with it, and with some of my solid tip rods, it scares me a bit. You just seem to hear stories of broken rod tips a bunch when speaking of braid and ultralight rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Why 1#?

You can get some super thin 2-3# line — Varivas, for example.
    Likes kmorrow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gunwhatgun View Post
    I would like to get input from y'all one on some 1lb line. I am a monofilament guy by nature but am not opposed to fluorocarbon. I am not a big fan of braid. I always just seem to have issues with it, and with some of my solid tip rods, it scares me a bit. You just seem to hear stories of broken rod tips a bunch when speaking of braid and ultralight rods.

Several high quality lines in the range you are looking for at Varivas America. Here is a 1.2# test nylon with a diameter of 0.074mm. AREA Super Trout Master Limited SVG NYLON - VARIVAS They have other lines in that range in fluorocarbon....ester lines also. Not sure if you are familiar with Varivas lines but when it says 1.2 pound break strength, that is what it breaks at....unlike US market lines.

Regards
    Thanks kmorrow, Quailtail thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Disco...curious as to why 1# test line. I dabbled with that a couple years back and it was just not practical. Hooking into 15 inch KY bass....15 inch Smallies. Too many break offs even with some 9 inch bluegill sometimes. I currently have one reel spooled with the Blue Moon FC in a 1.5# test and it works out OK....providing a challenge but also a realistic chance of getting larger fish landed.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly just like 1lb line. I got hooked on it back in my creek wading days, it made for a lot fewer missed strikes, and it made for a good time on a decent sized fish. I tried some Gamma Ice last year and did not care for it. It had a tendency to coil up like a ribbon after a good fight and some strain was put on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly just like 1lb line. I got hooked on it back in my creek wading days, it made for a lot fewer missed strikes, and it made for a good time on a decent sized fish. I tried some Gamma Ice last year and did not care for it. It had a tendency to coil up like a ribbon after a good fight and some strain was put on it.
    It seems most 1lb-er line revolves around ice fishing. Got these off eBay, seems only place that carries them now:
    Name:  IMG_5960.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  74.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I’m wondering if you really had 1# line or if that was just what was printed on the label. Most lines sold in the USA notoriously “overtest” in line strength. For example, every “2-pound” line I know of that’s sold in the US is at least a 3-pound line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVSpinfisher1 View Post
    It seems most 1lb-er line revolves around ice fishing. Got these off eBay, seems only place that carries them now:
    Name:  IMG_5960.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  74.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Hard to read label, but that looks like .105mm. That could be 1# line, but I’m pretty sure Alphahawk has posted about stronger mono with a similar diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Side note: most line discussions need diameter as well as breaking strain to make sure we’re comparing apples to apples.
    Thanks kmorrow thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Varivas SVG line I linked to is the thinnest nylon mono I’ve seen. The 0.104mm is rated at 2.5# test. I would use it but the thin diameter and being clear means I can’t see it. I know a few who fish this line and love it. One of the biggest eye openers for me this past couple of years has been the use of JDM lines…particularly Varivas. They are simply a premium product helping me with casting and sensitivity. Here is the chart I have used but each year it seems the Japanese line manufactures are making the lines smaller in diameter with greater breaking strength. The standard for a number of years on 2# test mono has been a diameter of around 0.128mm or so. But that number has really shrunk the last few years.

Regards

Japanese Silk

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes LVSpinfisher1, kmorrow LIKED above post
    Thanks Quailtail thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast