HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jigs under bobbers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Check out Russ Bailey's dock shooting videos .... he uses small pegged floats & 1/32oz jigheads, if my memory serves me.
    I have seen a video a couple of years ago where 2 guys where doing that. Shooting under some pontoons. I believe that called them ice floats. I was thinking a small slip float may work out well.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I still need to figure out how to shoot a float and fly under docks. That should be a deadly technique
    I have thought of this also, when I did get to try I used a 1/32 jig head with the tiniest slip float rig. Larger floats tend to catch to much air and not as accurate with less distance. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this post.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippa Chippa View Post
    I have thought of this also, when I did get to try I used a 1/32 jig head with the tiniest slip float rig. Larger floats tend to catch to much air and not as accurate with less distance. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this post.
    I tried the other day with a small weighted pear shaped clip on float. It was not very accurate either.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I have seen a video a couple of years ago where 2 guys where doing that. Shooting under some pontoons. I believe that called them ice floats. I was thinking a small slip float may work out well.
    Yeah, I was thinking a slip float would be easier to shoot with, especially when your window is less than 1' high. My only problem with using a float to shoot docks with (fixed or slip) is the max depth you can run your jig under those floats. A fixed float is cumbersome enough to cast, so I'm thinking trying to shoot a dock with it would be quite troublesome. And the slip float setup, even being less troublesome, may still depend on how well your bobber stop comes out thru your rod guides/tip. Unless, of course, your depth setting is shallow enough to allow the stopper to be out past the rod tip.

Post Thanks / Like

I would only want to use a float to keep the jig shallow. A lot of times under the pontoon boats the fish as within a foot of the surface. To hold the jig at a foot or two deep is at this time all I think I want to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly a jig under a poppin float is my go to for catching crappie. i can cover a lot of water and once you get an idea to different strikes it can be very productive. I have found that the calmer water it is usually little harder to get bit as they seem to be a little spooky. But when there is a nice little breeze and the surface is a little choppy they seem to really fire up. We run single and double rigs, i prefer to use a 1/16 oz jig on bottom and usually a 1/80 on the top. I keep my jigs a foot apart so I can fish 2 different water columns at a time. Another thing i always do is tie a loop knot on my top jig so it has better action and don't get wrapped up in main line as often.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If your dock shootin skills are as poor as mine, you'd end up with a bunch of busted floats....
    I'd love to witness the skill it would take to shoot a float/Jig into some of the places I attempt.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NCkenner View Post
    If your dock shootin skills are as poor as mine, you'd end up with a bunch of busted floats....
    I'd love to witness the skill it would take to shoot a float/Jig into some of the places I attempt.

Chris
    I watched a video of 2 fellas shooting them under pontoon boats. I will have to find the video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChoogieChunker View Post
    I’ve read that fishing a jig straight down it’s usually best to not move it much, trying to give it action. Basically dead sticking. Under a bobber in calm water or mostly calm would be the same presentation I assume. But if it’s windy enough to bob the bobber up and down thats moving the jig quite a bit. Can that also be productive or best used on calmer days? I know fish like different things on different days but are bobbers on choppy waters usually unproductive? The last few trips it’s been very windy and I haven’t done well. Just wondering if that’s why or I just got bit by post frontal conditions.
    You can give the float a couple little pops every now and then to get their attention. Also, slowly rotate the handle completely one time, and stop and repeat all the way back.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any docks close to shoot with anything, but I would think a slip cork/bobber would do better than a regular pinned in place one. Just my thoughts.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast