HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I saw the white puff a smoke from the rifle >>>

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Great hunt and read. Loved the pics.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post
    Thanks Ketchn thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Makes me sick to lose one also
    you and Erin are totally correct , lost 2 in the last 25 years that were both were as good as or better than this buck .
    one was in a similar situation leaving and turned slightly , shot his shoulder almost off and it started to pour rain as he ran off on 3 never to be seen again ,had light blood even in the rain and it was gone within minutes of the down pour.
    second one bled gallons all over the place and we jumped him more than once and never found him either ,one thing for certain the common denominator was this buck and those 2 were all angling away from me , shot placement in these situations is often difficult to determine and often seems like a gut shot if done properly and even might be, to angle the bullet into the vitals .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

They can be tough critters to put down.
    I shot one that had been filled with #4 buck. When I pulled the hide off there were plugs of hair everywhere grown into the meat where the pellet wounds had healed
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Ketchn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice deer!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!
    Likes Ketchn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    you and Erin are totally correct , lost 2 in the last 25 years that were both were as good as or better than this buck .
    one was in a similar situation leaving and turned slightly , shot his shoulder almost off and it started to pour rain as he ran off on 3 never to be seen again ,had light blood even in the rain and it was gone within minutes of the down pour.
    second one bled gallons all over the place and we jumped him more than once and never found him either ,one thing for certain the common denominator was this buck and those 2 were all angling away from me , shot placement in these situations is often difficult to determine and often seems like a gut shot if done properly and even might be, to angle the bullet into the vitals .
    Quite a few years ago now,Minn made it legal to track wound deer with dogs as long as they are on leash 20' or less...I've found a one of my own,and some for friends with 4 paw help she makes are tracking ability look sub par at the very best,most of the time it's a 10-20 minute process....after we've be stumbling around for hours.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  212.5 KB
    Likes MCG1, Ketchn, S10CHEVY, hdhntr, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of those tracking dogs can find them fur sure
    Likes Ketchn, hdhntr LIKED above post

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A husband and wife bowhunt in the general area I hunt. She typically shoots good bucks. This year she shot another nice one but lost the trail and it started to rain. The State has a dog tracking site that they contacted . The dog trainer said it would cost $200 and they would be there in the morning. He said the rain would not cause a problem for his dog. He shows up in morning, still raining and released the dog at last blood. In less than a minute the dog started barking. They asked him what was happening and he smiled and said," He has your deer". The deer only went another 50 yards! Dog would not let the hunters near the deer, it was his now! Trainer tied him up and waited for them to field dress the deer and give him the liver to reward the dog.
    Likes S10CHEVY, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

best tracking dog I ever seen was a harlequin great dane we owned back in the day .
    you best watch her close though as when she found it she would drag it off quietly for personal consumption

Post Thanks / Like

never ever underestimate a house dog either , some of those little ankle biters and lap pups track like a big dog , it is hard wired into them . seen a little mut about the size of a rat terrier that never been out of his yard go right to a lost buck one time .

Post Thanks / Like

Watched a Jack Russell mix put on a show tracking a deer.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post
    Thanks Ketchn thanked you for this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast