HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing ledges

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing ledges

This is probably a stupid question but, when you are looking on channel Ledges for structure are you going parallel to the ledge or do you go perpendicular?

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Parallel.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes FurFlyin, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, just wasn't sure about that with side-scan. I'm still trying to figure out this whole crappie fishing thing. Based on today's results I think I would have been better off going to the fish market.

Post Thanks / Like

I learn something new every trip out. Every trip. Catching isn't guaranteed. Best way to learn is to spend time on the water. Research at home, then apply what you learned.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes skeetbum, crp4570, Rojo LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot one of the base premises of CDC, there are no dumb questions. All of us learned from someone else. Good luck finding the fish, makes it more fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes crp4570, "G", shadow, FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried running Parallel as well as making an S pattern using my humminbird map as a guide. I just wasn't sure of the approach while checking ledges. I found fish but none wanted my offering. Not sure if it was all shad or just not hungry. I found some small structure but could not find any fish relating to it. But of course as luck would have it, I look at fishing report from the same Lake that I fished today and there are pictures of guys with full coolers.... I did take a screenshot of one of the images, I plan to post it in the photography section tomorrow and just see if anybody can determine what type of fish it may have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdad View Post
    Thanks for the info, just wasn't sure about that with side-scan. I'm still trying to figure out this whole crappie fishing thing. Based on today's results I think I would have been better off going to the fish market.

we hit ledges often , latest report is drop offs from 8 to 15 and the sharper drops are better , pitch to 8 and drop it off the ledge and ....set the hook
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    You forgot one of the base premises of CDC, there are no dumb questions. All of us learned from someone else. Good luck finding the fish, makes it more fun.
    Very well said, Skeet. I can’t believe how little I knew when I started, and I have barely scratched the surface. This is the place to learn and have fun.
    Bob
    Likes crp4570, "G", shadow LIKED above post
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the ledge I found. Thought I had made more screenshots than this one.Name:  20211127_210702.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  53.3 KBName:  20211127_210855.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  30.8 KB

Likes S10CHEVY, chaunc, silverside LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My crappie chasing days go back to my Humminbird Super60 flasher days and before. One of the best units I ever used for finding ledge crappie was a Lowrance paper graph. I found it was much easier to FIND crappie while going up and down ledges then throwing a marker at either side of a school. I then fish the school by casting to the deep side and fish back to the shallow side.

One of my all-time best cold water tactic is find and marking a school, taking a minnow and hooking it from the throat latch up thru the head between the eyes, and casting it to the deeper part of the ledge. I use a drop shot type rig with a 1/2-3/4 oz casting sinker on bottom and a light wire #1hook. Work it slowly like you would a plastic worm for bass. Very little to no action. Cast, raise rod slowly,reel up but don’t allow any slack, and set the hook on anything that feels heavier or different. Hook set is just a sweep of the rod.

Many times a school will scatter after you catch a few fish. I now put a waypoint on that school, leave to find another school, and come back in an hour or so to fish it after they have regrouped.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes KrappieKrane, Retired2Fish LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast