HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fluorocarbon recommendations

Fella's I'm finally going to make the plunge and try a Fluoro line. I've been a lifelong mono guy because I'm too lazy to change. I have been reading all about fluoro's but I'd rather hear from you guys who use fluoro often. I mainly fish the current below Nickajack Dam all the way past the Alabama line on the Tennessee River with medium/lite spinning gear and 1/8 oz Ned Rigs with 8lb test mono fishing for Spots and Smallies.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

More people would see this if you posted on the Main forum.

That said:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/panf...-fluorocarbon/

Post Thanks / Like

Varvias is a sponsor here. They have some excellent lines. I’m sure someone will chime in.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t used 8# test in any line in over 12 years. But I can tell you that an FC line from Varivas is going to be top notch. I use the Blue Moon in 2# and 1.7# test. The max the Blue Moon comes in is 4#. Varivas has other FC lines but Blue Moon is the only one I have used. A US market 8# test line is in all likelihood going to break at around 12 pounds. Varivas lines break at the rating stated.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks kmorrow, bwilso thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would be interested in why you are making the switch.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Flouro lines can be fickle when it comes to knottings. Reason being is that it does not relax after being stressed in the same manner as mono. Mono can be stretched, and as long as you haven’t put too much stress on it, pulled it apart too far, it will recover like a rubber band. This actually works to prevent the knot from over tightening and weakening the material. Makes the material a good choice for fighting big powerful fish. Flouro will also expand when stressed but there will be no recovery. It will remain elongated. Now mind you when this happens it is not a consistent thinning along the entire length, rather it will get thin over here, and thin over there kind of an affair. This leaves you with a line that is no longer up to ratings.

For crappie this will not be an issue, however if you snag quite often it could present an issue. The knot will tighten when stressed and will remain that way. As long as you understand that you are good to go.

Flouro will also sink at a different rate than same diameter mono. It absorbs less water than mono. It behaves a little different when casting. It is not invisible underwater as claimed. There is no invisibility when it comes to strings. The best way to achieve less visibility is to go thinner. A mono line that is thinner than the flouro can be less visible. If flouro truly was invisible underwater due to it’s patented molecular configuration, well it would still be invisible in the 250 pound test size. Which is very easily seen I assure you

Some swear by this though and have stories as to how it made a difference. Well there can be many reasons why they did better, but invisibility was not one of them.

If you are looking for finesse, consider a thin mono. Varivas sells Japanese stuff, which tends to run thinner than what we normally have access to, and they have sales. I think it’s 25% off right now. Not sure. Sponsor here.

In conclusion, I suggest you stick with the same pound test rating and try to go with a thinner mono, which Varivas will certainly have. Flouro offers different performance in several aspects, but you didn’t mention why you wanted to try it, so I guessed to be less visible.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes gillchaser999, Techno2000 LIKED above post
    Thanks bwilso thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to try something different as I usually are so stuck in my ways that I may be missing something that will help my fishing. I usually fish current below Nickajack Dam on the Tennessee River and hearing that Fluoro sinks I thought it may help get my lite jig to the bottom better with less drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfishwish View Post
    Would be interested in why you are making the switch.

Post Thanks / Like

It does sink. I use P-line and Sunline FC Sniper or FC Assassin mostly. I only use it for leader off a braid main line though. Have made the all flouro jump yet. Might have try it on one of my Black Max 1600 reels. The Triple X line lay system doesn't see to work real well with braid. So I'm using mono.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/

Post Thanks / Like

I use Suffix 832 10# braid with a Sugio 8# fluorocarbon leader here on Kentucky lake for the last 25 years. Straight fluorocarbon on spinning reels can be a little aggravating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I use flouro for (Seaguar 6 and Vanish 10 and 20) is leaders. I've been using braid main lines (5, 6, 8 and 20 test) for quite some time. I'm not really sure the flouro leaders really make that much difference...I used to catch a LOT of fish on mono before flouro hit the market. I may go back to mono leaders since I constantly have to wet the knot before tightening a flouro and I sometimes forget...I am old and slow, after all.
    Likes Fishfishwish LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast