Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot lock on Waypoint with I pilot link

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spot lock on Waypoint with I pilot link

Today, while on the water I decided to play around with the go to feature on my terrova with link. I found a waypoint using Side Imaging and then told the trolling motor to go to that position. After sitting there for some time without any bites or hang ups I decided to throw a marker buoy down at the trolling motor just before I canceled the spot lock. When I went back over the Buoy the Waypoint structure was not there. It seemed that the structure I had Mark was actually directly below the console where the hummingbird is. Since I do not have an external puck use the internal GPS of the hummingbird. Is this a normal operation or is there some sort of offset I need to do on the fish finder? For what it's worth it is a new terrova that has its own heading sensor that I also installed at the console close to the hummingbird unit. If someone could help me out with this situation I sure would appreciate it

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When the user initiates a Go To function on a previously saved navigational item (Spot-Lock, Waypoint, iTrack) and the Humminbird is connected, the GPS coordinates always come from what is stored in the Humminbird and is sent to the i-Pilot Link for navigation.*

Got this from humminbird website. If i read this correctly, then the terrova will use the gps data from the unit to navigate to the waypoint. If the Waypoint is set by gps at the unit then that must be why I am not sitting on top of what I marked. The structure is gonna be directly beneath the unit and not below the terrova. Sounds like i need a gps puck to go above my transducer.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When a waypoint is “marked” = it is assigned Latitude and Longitude values of where the GPS antenna is located on the Earth ...

Then returning to that waypoint with the GOTO function is trying to get the currently used GPS antenna back to those assigned Latitude and Longitude values on the Earth ...

So Humminbird’s statement means -> initiating the GOTO function finds the Latitude and Longitude values (in the HB waypoint library) (that were assigned to that waypoint when initially “marked) ... and then sends those Latitude and Longitude values (on the Earth) to the Terrova GPS for navigation to that waypoint ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Thanks BuckeyeCrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So if I understand correctly, when I hit the go to/waypoint button. The terrova is actually taking the helix to the waypoint in theory and not itself? I guess the only way to truly test this is to mark some sort of structure and navigate to it. Then drop a buoy at the trolling motor and one at the console. Then spin the boat around and drive by and see what buoy the structure is closest to.

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good information
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

I do plan on getting another unit for my dash and moving the helix 9 to the bow. Makes me wonder, if I get a as gps hs and put it at the transducer and subscribe to it on the dash which will make the waypoints on my dash unit more accurate. Then, subscribe to the gps of the link at the bow. Which should put me on top of the waypoint when navigating to it. Or would a regular gps puck be more suited for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wherever your GPS source is will be the spot marked as your way point.
    Remember that civilian GPS has at least a 3 meter error built in, to deter pinpoint recognition. I used to use GPS for travel routing years ago, and would watch as the government would jump the accuracy of the signal back and forth within minutes. Found out later that it was due to security threats.
    Mark a brushpile, anchor and cast to it with a jig that has it's hook cut off. You should be able to determine the location without hanging up. You will learn where the brushpiles really are in relation to what's on your screen. I did this and it really helped me.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing that sold me when I got my link was the ability to vertically fish structure using the go to feature. I understand that there is a certain degree of error when using GPS but I want to minimize that as much as possible. If I'm at the front of the boat fishing straight down beside the trolling motor I would like for the structure that I've marked to be somewhere in the vicinity of that not be beneath the boat where I can't reach. Or better yet be able to approach a brush pile and spot lock casting distance away from it without actually going over it. As far as using the ipilot link system where is the best place to put the external GPS puck? Depending on what article you read, some say it's best to have it at the bow and some say it's best to have it over the transducer. I did put the heading sensor for the trolling motor at the console so not sure now if that actually needs to be placed at the bow as well. I have the GPS Puck with heading sensor arriving today, just not sure now if I need the heading sensor or just a standard GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdad View Post
    So if I understand correctly, when I hit the go to/waypoint button. The terrova is actually taking the helix to the waypoint in theory and not itself? I guess the only way to truly test this is to mark some sort of structure and navigate to it. Then drop a buoy at the trolling motor and one at the console. Then spin the boat around and drive by and see what buoy the structure is closest to.
    When the GOTO feature is commanded the HB unit sends the latitude and longitude values (stored in the HB unit memory) to the Terrova GPS ... then the Terrova GPS navigates to those coordinates on the Earth using its own (Terrova) internal GPS antenna ...

Now the next function of navigation depends on if you select for the Terrova to Spotlock when “arriving” at those coordinates on the Earth ...

Scenario 1 is command GOTO with no other commands directs the Terrova GPS to find those coordinates on the Earth and then cancels navigation (coordinates no longer in Terrova GPS) at waypoint arrival ... meaning you will now have to use the GPS antenna selected in the HB Network tab to stay at that waypoint shown on the HB Chart view ... the Terrova GPS is no longer being used ...

Scenario 2 is command GOTO with Spotlock at waypoint arrival - in which case Terrova GPS will continue to use its own GPS until navigation is cancelled ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 10-12-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Where you mount an external AS GPS HS antenna depends on 2 factors ...
    1. Is you Minn Kota new enough to have an installed blue tooth heading sensor ...
    2. Will you ever need heading with the TM stowed ...

HB units can subscribe to the Minn Kota heading sensor thru the HB Ethernet Network - but only if the TM is deployed and powered on ...

HELIX units that subscribe to the Minn Kota thru the HB Ethernet Network must get GPS and heading from the Terrova (disables the GPS in the HB unit) ...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast