HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon report

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine View Post
    I agree, something doesn't appear right with the readings posted for Cat and Coon. All the other lakes listed in the area (Patoka, Monroe, Brookville) all show 'normal' readings, exactly what you'd expect for this time of year. Cataract reading is actually showing no oxygen in the entire reservoir (1 ppm at surface, nothing below that), but 6.78 ppm in the tailwater. Those two lake profiles seem highly suspicious to me, and I'd just about bet the next time they are updated, they won't look anything like what they do now. We'll see.

As for Raccoon, while the weights were up compared to how the guys have fared in past tourneys there, "sizable keepers" is about the best I'd give it. A very fun lake for catching eaters, but I don't think many of the guys looked forward to that event this year because it is dominated by so many smaller fish. Was really surprised they went there instead of Cataract, but maybe the water level fluctuations were too much of an iffy thing. Now, Monroe on the other hand - lol.

Not trying to stir something up here guys but the readings are accurate. Brookville also showing the thermocline basically gone. Louisville District > Missions > Civil Works > Water Information > Updated Lake Temperatures and Dissolved Oxygen Lev > Brookville Profile

Cataract had one of the shallowest oxyclines i've ever seen this year and water quality was bad. Not surprised it had a big sag when the thermocline broke. Good thing the oxygen levels normally rebound quickly.

It looks to me like the more northern lakes have cooled just enough but not yet further south. Perhaps an influx of cold rain on one or the other might also be driving it since I agree Monroe and Patoka haven't yet flipped.

Post Thanks / Like

Brookville readings are not normal for summer. Normal thermocline and oxycline at Brookville is 17-20ft. Graph is showing same temps down to nearly 50 ft. Oxygen levels also abnormally low at Brookville. As you would expect when the thermocline breaks down.

Roush, Mississinewa, and Salamonie also completely destratified.

Louisville District > Missions > Civil Works > Water Information > Updated Lake Temperatures and Dissolved Oxygen Lev > JE Roush Profile
    Louisville District > Missions > Civil Works > Water Information > Updated Lake Temperatures and Dissolved Oxygen Lev > Mississinewa Profile
    Louisville District > Missions > Civil Works > Water Information > Updated Lake Temperatures and Dissolved Oxygen Lev > Salamonie Profile

Post Thanks / Like

We'll have to wait and see how this plays out. It doesn't seem like we've had anything terribly unusual weather wise that would cause the differences we're seeing. I normally would trust the gauges, but a couple of them do seem strange to me for this time of year. Anything electronic is subject to going faulty, as well as anything taken and recorded manually (human error). I'm also not familiar with how the translation from human record to electronic graph is accomplished (manually? automatically generated?).

Have only been on Heritage and EC in central Indiana the past couple weeks, but bite has been normal and surface temps were running around 75 degrees, so nowhere close to turnover during a more traditional year.

If the lakes are truly about flipped, we should see a more or less straight vertical line on the temp side with the next set of readings. Right now it's just the last gasps of a really deep thermocline. That is what I'll be looking for. If the readings are correct, those few lakes that seem odd should completely turn and their graphs reflect that. If it is some type of error, we'll know it because the graphs will revert back to showing a more traditional thermocline depth level, which would never happen in real life because there simply isn't enough heating going on with the shorter days and lower sun angle now. We'll know soon enough - I'm really curious to see what happens here.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine View Post
    We'll have to wait and see how this plays out. It doesn't seem like we've had anything terribly unusual weather wise that would cause the differences we're seeing. I normally would trust the gauges, but a couple of them do seem strange to me for this time of year. Anything electronic is subject to going faulty, as well as anything taken and recorded manually (human error). I'm also not familiar with how the translation from human record to electronic graph is accomplished (manually? automatically generated?).

Have only been on Heritage and EC in central Indiana the past couple weeks, but bite has been normal and surface temps were running around 75 degrees, so nowhere close to turnover during a more traditional year.

If the lakes are truly about flipped, we should see a more or less straight vertical line on the temp side with the next set of readings. Right now it's just the last gasps of a really deep thermocline. That is what I'll be looking for. If the readings are correct, those few lakes that seem odd should completely turn and their graphs reflect that. If it is some type of error, we'll know it because the graphs will revert back to showing a more traditional thermocline depth level, which would never happen in real life because there simply isn't enough heating going on with the shorter days and lower sun angle now. We'll know soon enough - I'm really curious to see what happens here.

There is no way that six lakes are showing faulty readings guys. Occams razor.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just met and talked with friend of mine that lives on the Cat. Cat is slow unless you can find a stump or some kind of cover in deeper water, then he said he is catching lots of crappie. He fished the Coon yesterday getting at the launch at 1:pm and fished till late evening. He caught lots of small fish, kept 6 over 10”. Water temp was 75. Before launching he talked to 2 different boaters fishing as they launched early morning. One had a limit of crappie over 10”, other guy kept 12. He mentioned they were using jigs with minnows 15’ down. They had to kull out the keepers. Neither lake was turning over in his opinion.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob, Curlytail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trout211 View Post
    There is no way that six lakes are showing faulty readings guys. Occams razor.
    You sure wouldn't think so, but even Occam's Razor isn't an absolute. Those Missy/Sally readings don't seem right, either - 50 feet of water column heated to 70 degrees on Oct. 01???

Post Thanks / Like

14 day weather report is for high temps in low 70s, and nights in low 60s until 10/13 and nights will drop to mid to low 50’s. Sorry but I have never went by or had faith in the gauges as they are not just kept up or constantly calibrated when they need calibration. I go by the reports everybody sees and experiences as well as what I experience when out. Even the River gauges on the East Fork of the White River down here are constantly not working properly most of the year. I’ve been sitting in a deer stand all day and gotten caught and come out of the woods at night,,and have to wade 3’ of water or drive home in high water with those gauges telling me I would be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

My trust is in what my electronics show me..and my abilities to catch fish…when they will take a bait.

Name:  24F73C33-A7BD-4272-B260-902FE4F385F5.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  66.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I came off Mississinewa a couple hours ago. Surface temp a 9 am start was 70 and 72 when we left. Only had 6 for the day. Jigs and cranks.
    Doug - got hooked on LUND!

Post Thanks / Like

Was at Cataract yesterday. Surface temp 75-78. Heavy algae bloom. Water clarity less than 2 feet. Caught a dozen keepers, kept none.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast