HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon report

Post Thanks / Like

went this morning for 3.5hrs and caught 13, water was 70.5 to start and 72-73 when we left.. bite was super slow and except for a couple fish very light. Water needs to cool down to about 65 then I think they will turn on.
    Likes Curlytail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Doug - got hooked on LUND!

Post Thanks / Like

Both Harden and Cagles Mill just turned over and it caused a big oxygen sag. This turns the fish off the bite. Dissolved oxygen levels at Harden were down in the 3's this week after the turnover Louisville District > Missions > Civil Works > Water Information > Updated Lake Temperatures and Dissolved Oxygen Lev > CM Harden Profile.

The bite should pick back up now that the lake has turned and oxygen levels are rebounding but this explains the slow fishing recently.

If you doubt the quality of the fish out there just look out for the results from the slabmasters tournaments once they are posted. Results will be posted here Tournament Results. They caught a lot of nice fish at Harden in the Sept. 11th tournament there. 70% of what was weighed in were 10"+
    Last edited by Trout211; 10-01-2021 at 07:10 AM.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Even tho I haven’t been on them,,water temp I would think not cold enough for a turn over yet.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is no debate needed. The link i posted has the data from the corps sensors at the dam. Lake has turned over. Thermocline is gone. Oxygen is low throughout because of the turnover. All that is required is some consistent nightly air temps much cooler than surface water to make it sink and destabilize the thermocline.

Post Thanks / Like

No debate needed? Who makes the rules? I will debate you.
    1. The links on Slabmasters aren’t working when I click on the current tourney results.
    2. Have you been on both lakes recently as past few days and seen them or fished them for yourself?
    3. Water temp for a turn over begins at 50 degrees and for deep lakes some don’t turn over till ideal surface temp is 39 degrees.
    4. Yesterdays and todays air temp still in the 80’s. So it’s not cold enough yet for water to cool enough and sink and mix, thus creating a turnover.
    5. Most of the time,,those gauges your reading are not accurate and kept in working order.

Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

And,,if the gauges are working…they are only located in one place on the lakes and don’t cover entire lake acreage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    No debate needed? Who makes the rules? I will debate you.
    1. The links on Slabmasters aren’t working when I click on the current tourney results.
    2. Have you been on both lakes recently as past few days and seen them or fished them for yourself?
    3. Water temp for a turn over begins at 50 degrees and for deep lakes some don’t turn over till ideal surface temp is 39 degrees.
    4. Yesterdays and todays air temp still in the 80’s. So it’s not cold enough yet for water to cool enough and sink and mix, thus creating a turnover.
    5. Most of the time,,those gauges your reading are not accurate and kept in working order.

1 - I didn't say they were posted yet. I was indicating where they will be posted in the future. So members can see them when they go up.
    2- Yes I have been on Cagle's Mill recently and fished it. The fishing has been slow for the last few weeks.
    3- You are not correct. There is no magic temperature where the thermocline will break down. It's a matter of differences in temperature. Water density changes continuously with temperature. Cooler water sinks when its on top of warmer water. The surface waters have been cooling since the nighttime temps have been dropping for the last several weeks. When it sinks hard enough to penetrate the thermocline it will begin to break down.
    4- The temperatures have been as low as the high 40's at night in the past several weeks.
    5- I'm not going to debate someone that thinks their opinion is better than actual measurements. The data at the dam that I posted isn't actually stationary sensors. It is a portable meter profile taken weekly by a staff member. Also a faulty meter wouldn't magically show a strong thermocline present for the past several weeks and then magically show a turnover. Also why would all these lakes magically have faulty sensors showing a turnover at the same time? Much more likely they are actually turning over unless you want to argue that Cagle's and Harden's meters just magically failed simultaneously.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had any nights in the 40’s yet and live 30 miles as the crow flys from the Cat. Everybody fishing the Coon and Cat has found water temps in low 70’s. Check the previous postings. What is the water temp you been finding while fishing? The discussion was about everybody catching decient numbers of fish,,just not sizable keepers. I was at Glendale and West Boggs this weeek and they haven’t even begun to turn over even tho they are scum filled from warm temps. My 2–4 acre lakes haven’t turned over either.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, something doesn't appear right with the readings posted for Cat and Coon. All the other lakes listed in the area (Patoka, Monroe, Brookville) all show 'normal' readings, exactly what you'd expect for this time of year. Cataract reading is actually showing no oxygen in the entire reservoir (1 ppm at surface, nothing below that), but 6.78 ppm in the tailwater. Those two lake profiles seem highly suspicious to me, and I'd just about bet the next time they are updated, they won't look anything like what they do now. We'll see.

As for Raccoon, while the weights were up compared to how the guys have fared in past tourneys there, "sizable keepers" is about the best I'd give it. A very fun lake for catching eaters, but I don't think many of the guys looked forward to that event this year because it is dominated by so many smaller fish. Was really surprised they went there instead of Cataract, but maybe the water level fluctuations were too much of an iffy thing. Now, Monroe on the other hand - lol.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast