HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassed, but at least not smelling like skunk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Embarrassed, but at least not smelling like skunk

Yesterday was the 3rd time I've been on the water all year...1st 2 trips didn't deserve a report This trip wasn't great, but not seeing many report, so decided I'd throw it out there.

Hiwassee River. Temp 74*. RIVER RATS AND BATTLESHIPS EVERYWHERE. Seriously almost came off the deck of the boat about 4 different times. HATE FISHING THIS RIVER ON WEEKENDS.

Started at around 2pm, finished up FRIED and SEASICK a little after 5pm, trying for deep slabs, anything and everything in 25+ FOW. They are STILL checked out, nearly nowhere to be found (in numbers, or size). Did manage 2 keepers with one at almost 13".

I threw BG shad (threw every color in the book, BTW...started with 1/16oz but ended up with a quarter OZ., over the TSUNAMI-wake LOL). I did catch a short toothy-critter, so decided to upsize to a DK TAILWATER SPECIAL (ZOOM swimmin' super fluke JR in white ice) rigged Texas style on a 3/8oz bullet. 5 casts produced 2 fish, and the first Sauger I've seen on this river in almost 20yrs., 15+ inch'r at that! Was glad to have him as a guest on the boat. Then his cousin came on board as company. 17 inch'r.

ACTION DIED after those 2 bites.
    Not much but did get a little workout for the electric fillet knife. Hoping cooler temps upcoming will improve things!!

M

Name:  Crappie walleye sauger.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  82.2 KB
    Likes "D", drumking, CUonthelake LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you weren’t mowing a yard or some such thing.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Likes "G", M GO BLUE LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s an excellent mess of fish for the table, conditions are tough right now so good catch. I managed a few last week for supper myself.
    Likes M GO BLUE LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was sure hoping the water had cooled off on the Hiwassee that they had move up shallow under the docks. The time has got to be getting close. Watched a fella on YouTube from this area pull some nice catfish from the deep hole along the bluff just past the 58 bridge.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes M GO BLUE LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly a nice mess of fish
    Thanks M GO BLUE thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I was sure hoping the water had cooled off on the Hiwassee that they had move up shallow under the docks. The time has got to be getting close. Watched a fella on YouTube from this area pull some nice catfish from the deep hole along the bluff just past the 58 bridge.
    Yep, them bluffs are about the only place I'll stop my boat in these temps. Looking forward to getting my new Moonlight rigged up. Love the summer but getting to where I hate the sun cooking my face off while trying to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of traffic through there most of the time.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

NICE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Lots of traffic through there most of the time.
    ...like the downtown ATL for wake-makers. HATE IT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M GO BLUE View Post
    Yesterday was the 3rd time I've been on the water all year...1st 2 trips didn't deserve a report This trip wasn't great, but not seeing many report, so decided I'd throw it out there.

Hiwassee River. Temp 74*. RIVER RATS AND BATTLESHIPS EVERYWHERE. Seriously almost came off the deck of the boat about 4 different times. HATE FISHING THIS RIVER ON WEEKENDS.

Started at around 2pm, finished up FRIED and SEASICK a little after 5pm, trying for deep slabs, anything and everything in 25+ FOW. They are STILL checked out, nearly nowhere to be found (in numbers, or size). Did manage 2 keepers with one at almost 13".

I threw BG shad (threw every color in the book, BTW...started with 1/16oz but ended up with a quarter OZ., over the TSUNAMI-wake LOL). I did catch a short toothy-critter, so decided to upsize to a DK TAILWATER SPECIAL (ZOOM swimmin' super fluke JR in white ice) rigged Texas style on a 3/8oz bullet. 5 casts produced 2 fish, and the first Sauger I've seen on this river in almost 20yrs., 15+ inch'r at that! Was glad to have him as a guest on the boat. Then his cousin came on board as company. 17 inch'r.

ACTION DIED after those 2 bites.
    Not much but did get a little workout for the electric fillet knife. Hoping cooler temps upcoming will improve things!!

M

Name:  Crappie walleye sauger.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  82.2 KB
    Thank you for the report, MB. I haven’t seen a Sauger in many a year, but I have been catching its cousins below WB dam for the past 6 weeks. I think that I have forgotten how to crappie fish, but the Walleye, Stripers, and White bass have been tearing it up in the tailwaters. The fluke is a great lure for everything that swims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast