HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frabill Habitat 2 for worms ..... There big worm box.... Looking for any tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frabill Habitat 2 for worms ..... There big worm box.... Looking for any tips.

I picked up the Frabill Habitat 2 a couple of days ago with their worm bedding included in it. I have basically put about a pound of bedding in the box and watered it the way they said to. I dropped two 18 count boxes of night crawlers in there and two 30 count cups of Red Worms in there. I also threw some coffee grounds in there.

I am just looking for any and all advice on keeping these guys alive and hopefully building a much large container for them in the future.

Thank you all in advance for any help,

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

youtube has many vids on worm farm...
    Thanks Bobo Greybeard thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Once in awhile I would throw in a small amount of white cornmeal in. I kept the banded box in the fridge and we did well with worms that summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to start up a bed myself
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your nightcrawlers will survive. They need to be refrigerated.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Old carpet once wetted works great on the ground,,,,worms love to eat the fibers and the rest keeps the ground cool where they thrive…I lay down old carpet in places around my yard where it looks best for worms like around trees or leaf piles, I just pull the carpet up and pick up dozens of works anytime I’m ready to hit the lake,,,,once the carpets been down a couple of weeks,,,your guaranteed to finds worms all through the summer if you keep that carpet moist
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes catfishtoon, jiggingman2020 LIKED above post
    Thanks Clint thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo Greybeard View Post
    I picked up the Frabill Habitat 2 a couple of days ago with their worm bedding included in it. I have basically put about a pound of bedding in the box and watered it the way they said to. I dropped two 18 count boxes of night crawlers in there and two 30 count cups of Red Worms in there. I also threw some coffee grounds in there.

I am just looking for any and all advice on keeping these guys alive and hopefully building a much large container for them in the future.

Thank you all in advance for any help,

Bobo
    You're supposed to use European nightcrawlers, not Canadian nightcrawlers. For bedding I'm using 50/50 Peat moss/ coconut coir. For food I blend together a mixture of Black Kow brand cow manure, Chicken layer pellets and coffee grounds.I sprinkle a little on top and cover with plastic and cardboard they eat it all in about a day,and I repeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill try to get some pics of my setup. One is an old ice chest with small air holes around the top. Shredded newspaper or straw or cardboard on top. Fruit or veggie scraps....uncooked. Cover it up with the top coat. Make sure fluid can get out periodically. I also use buckets.

I use mine to throw into the flower beds and garden. The bonus to that is the earthworms thrive better with the red wigglers added to the mix. I fish with the earthworms.

There is absolutely zero science behind what I do.

Another bonus......black fly larva grow in the worm boxes. The chickens love them.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing.....once established, this is a lazy hobbie. I can forget them for weeks and they are fine.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They love wet cardboard. Keep it good and wet, they eat it quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast