HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Cornish Hens

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - well done! I enjoyed your post. Nothing like smoking on a real smoker with real wood. My smoker is about 25 years old, smoke with seasoned pecan cut down here. Pellet smokers can't touch this. I bet you smoke a serious brisket.
    Randy Andres
    Likes "G", Ketchn LIKED above post
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get that deep smoke flavor out of a pellet grill. The vision ceramic does a good job with the smoke. I am going to have to smoke some of those hens
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

GoTeenTitans..............Please post up that smoked Hen recipe, sounds fantastic. If you don't have the exact recipe post up close, the details can always be worked out.

I learned smoking from a South of the Texas border Dweller, since then I've adapted the technique to everything. Brisket is the only smoke meat I don't brine first. After smoking I slow poach my brisket (covered tightly) at 225deg with Cream Sherry and fresh herbs & aromatics. This cooks the smoke flavor to the center and through reverse osmosis, adds liquid to the meat cells. You have to chill the brisket overnight so you can slice it.

Post Thanks / Like

we love us a smoked animal or 3 at our place , it takes time to get good at smoking meat , someone has to maintain the fire box properly and adjust the dampers when needed to maintain the proper temps .
    AND there is such a thing as tooooo much smoke , loving pecan is me , peach wood is nice if you can find it as well ,peach don't smoke alot and burns pretty hot though ..
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Apple goes well with pork,
    Mesquite is mighty fine one chicken
    I recently used Cherry on some steaks. It had a good flavor

Really hard to beat hickory for an all around smoke wood
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Never dreamed of peach wood for smoking. Your teaching me something. I have 66 varieties of fruit trees on the place here. Lots of peach & nectarine trees. Always have to prune them too. Should the wood be fully cured first or can "green" limbs be used for flavoring?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I read somewhere that green wood would give you a bad taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it Jack. I dry the pecan very well, I have to keep them pruned up and still the hurricanes produce more wood than I can use. Pecans are so weak wooded. The fruit trees not so bad but the wood I prune is very, very, green so I will let it dry too.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure don't miss hurricane season. It sure works those peacan trees over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    GoTeenTitans..............Please post up that smoked Hen recipe, sounds fantastic. If you don't have the exact recipe post up close, the details can always be worked out.

I learned smoking from a South of the Texas border Dweller, since then I've adapted the technique to everything. Brisket is the only smoke meat I don't brine first. After smoking I slow poach my brisket (covered tightly) at 225deg with Cream Sherry and fresh herbs & aromatics. This cooks the smoke flavor to the center and through reverse osmosis, adds liquid to the meat cells. You have to chill the brisket overnight so you can slice it.
    Certainly guys and glad to share. I make this with chicken in it like chicken & dressing so here’s my version minus the chicken…..if you’re gonna stuff the hens with it.

2 boxes Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice prepared as instructions directed
    1 small jar pimentos drained
    1 small jar or can chopped mushrooms drained
    1 medium tub of French Onion Dip ****not sure of the OZ size, not the small one, but not the big tub either. I would say standard size. You’ll know what to get.
    1 cup chopped pecans ****sometimes I leave this out

Cook the rice, then add all the other ingredients & serve or stuff. It is EASY & a good Thanksgiving or potluck dish.
    Thanks Rojo, BuckeyeCrappie thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast