HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC in the Shop/Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scout-j-m View Post
    That seems like a good deal on those. What voltage are they? My shop has zero windows aside from the ones built into the two garage doors.
    They are 220 volt. I don't have any windows it my shop to cut down on break ins. I just put them in the wall about 8' up so not to take up wall space. If it's not real hot I just run one.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's cheap! Did he get a 120V or 240V system?

My dad is currently building a 20x30 shop so I'm also thinking about helping him pick one out.
    240 sent you a pm !
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    They are 220 volt. I don't have any windows it my shop to cut down on break ins. I just put them in the wall about 8' up so not to take up wall space. If it's not real hot I just run one.
    I guess I could do that fairly easy. My shop is pole barn style with metal siding and plywood interior wall which lends to fairly easy modifications and repair.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I could do that fairly easy. My shop is pole barn style with metal siding and plywood interior wall which lends to fairly easy modifications and repair.
    Mine is a pole barn as well. I put them high to save wall space and up out of the dust and grindings. They have remotes to turn them off and on.
    Another plus is I don't have to work in the sketters.
    Likes scout-j-m LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of yall have AC in your shops or garages? Just curious if you do how big is the space, is it insulated, how well does it perform, and how much was the cost? I'm really wanting it in my shop but know it will cost a pretty penny. Just not sure if it would ultimately be worth it. My shop is 2400 sq ft in the main shop and 700 sq ft in an attached portion so obviously a rather large area. I was thinking about trying a DIY mini split in the 700 sq ft area sometime in the next couple of years. This is still just an idea I'm kicking around in my head and I'm just trying to gather some knowledge so don't roast me too bad.
    Just had ad jump up on slick deals. Was a Home Depot ad for a 12,000 btu mini split for 699.00. Looked like a pretty good deal.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the brand. Mitsubishi or Mr Cool that is a pretty decent deal
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Just had ad jump up on slick deals. Was a Home Depot ad for a 12,000 btu mini split for 699.00. Looked like a pretty good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Depending on the brand. Mitsubishi or Mr Cool that is a pretty decent deal
    Looks like its this Pioneer one. Don't know anything about them.

Access Denied

EDIT: not sure why the url says access denied. Hover over it and you can see that its taking you to a home depot link.
    Last edited by scout-j-m; 08-05-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pioneer isn't a bad brand. I looked it up. It is a 19 seer 110 volt mini split. It has a Gmcc brand compressor. I generally prefer 220 volt because of lower operating cost. Mini split technology is getting better by the day. They are also what most of the rest of the world is using for heating and cooling. That Pioneer said it will heat down to -13 that is pretty impressive

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any idea what these non DIY systems cost to be installed by licensed HVAC pros? I'd imagine if it's non-DIY you can't do it yourself and be warrantied. But seems like an avg DIY'er could wall mount the blower/evaporator, cut and route the set lines/sensor wires/drain hose, mount the condenser unit, and do the electrical to the outside quick disconnect. Seems like you would just need a tech to hook everything up and charge it and leak check it and check the boxes for the warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I see no problems doing those things. They way I understand the warranty on most of what you order and have shipped to you. Once it hits the door it is yours. I had bought a 24000 btu window unit. After 2 years the control board went out. They do not sale a replacement. I replaced the whole unit. 1 year later, control board dead on that one. I called. They said we know there is a problem with the control board. Sorry. We do not have a solution. Hmmm. I bought these because I can buy parts. The only part that carries a long warranty is the compressor. If that goes out. I would rather replece the whole unit. From first hand experience there is a lot more cooling from a 24000 btu mini split than the same rated window unit. And way more efficient

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12