HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braided line question

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a braid fan. One broken rod was enough for me and this old country boy went back to what he knows how to use. I am now using mono on my pulling rods but my jigging rods are spooled with fluro (K9, had to try it). Line wrap is something I'm not going to deal with. Hope the braid works for you.

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used braid for 6-7 years both on my pro angler tackle casting rods and my Huckabee dipping rods. Ain’t no doubt about it I set the hook and then swing em in the boat. No soft hook sets, reel them in hook sets or soft rods in my boat whether I’m using braid or not.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Using 8# test braid yesterday I caught what I believe was a huge carp (by the way it ran) and after fighting it for approx. 40 seconds it straightened the jig hook. 8# test mono would have snapped long before that on the first run. Other fish had to be pulled from gaps in the pads where the line wrapped around leaf stems via the fish. Got them all out with no line breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

braid will straighten a hook out in a heart beat and or snap it , mono about never if its the right test and the operator has the drag set accordingly for the application .
    used a braid rod yesterday on a pit stop , hated it about as much as its last time in my hand 2 weeks ago , it has its place for some in the arsenal of trying to ketch a fish items and in that real deep water winter stuff it is a champ , the rest of the time , it needs to rest in my garage .
    it does well for hanging things off the ceiling btw , zero stretch
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

braid will straighten a hook out in a heart beat and or snap it , mono about never if its the right test and the operator has the drag set accordingly for the application .
    Yeah but mono of the same test as braid will snap faster as well as wear faster. I leave all my reels on the boat in full sun during the warm season that have braid and there is no deterioration. No jig hooks I use have ever snapped though some bronze hooks will open given a strong fight. Forget brass hooks - the worse for gapping out.

Post Thanks / Like

I snapped a hook one time in a lake we hit, trying to ketch 1 of the 4 or 5 monster mohawks we know live in there , was using braid as we knew the fish were over 3 and wanted to not take any chances .
    the lake is known for real big bass and my guide bud told me about the monster mohawks that were few and far between in there .
    dropped said big pretty hand tie down a tree close to sunset and THUMP and set the hook and WHAT ever it was tried to pull me over the side of the boat !
    drag was set tight and it did not last long , had me stretched out like a stick man when the hook snapped at the bend ,and it was brand new real nice hand tie...... darnit
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

To each his own I guess. I would quit fishing if someone told me I had to fish with soft rods and mono again. Wish I had all the hours of my life back and money I wasted respooling mono over the years.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using yellow high vis PP 10lb for YEARS! It's tuff stuff! Yes it does tangle up a little! I recently switched a couple of my long poles that I scope with to fluorocarbon because I had some concerns with the rumor of the braid making a different noise in the water and spooks the fish sometimes... Not sure if it's timing or what but I feel like I don't have near the amount of bigger crappie following my jig vs when I was using braid. I'm using 10-12 lb fluoro and really have no complaints long poling with it so far! You can defiantly get the wind loops out easier and I the sensitivity is a little lighter but still not missing bites. To each there own but that's my history so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123