HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bluegill Hunter. Need Favorite rod suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You EVERYONE. I think I read this thread 5x today..Lots of #2 line users and a Bunch of great suggestions.. I guess I have some little road trips to take Bait shops, Bass Pro & Cabelas for a search to test your suggestions.. I really enjoy the Head start you Crappie.com guys gave this Bass Fisherman.. I Hope EVERYONE has a Safe Enjoyable Summer.. Thanks..mission accomplished.
    Likes livemusic, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    The TCB/TSS rods are no wimps. Last week I caught a humongous smallie over 17 inches on my TSS. It was a 5+ minute fight and was so big I had to beach it in fear of breaking the rod! I have a photo taken by a real nice couple passing by and I need to learn how to post one. Time to read up!
    Bob
    I would love to see some photos from you too BobC. In case you like to know photos are a lot easier for some reasons to upload via phone….just look for a clip board pin logo and upload from photo gallery. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note also, Basscaster I’ve been really happy with PLine fluoroclear in #2 and #4!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

njones is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    The TCB/TSS rods are no wimps. Last week I caught a humongous smallie over 17 inches on my TSS. It was a 5+ minute fight and was so big I had to beach it in fear of breaking the rod! I have a photo taken by a real nice couple passing by and I need to learn how to post one. Time to read up!
    Bob

I fully agree. I’ve caught some 2lbs + channels and a few decent large mouths on the TCB/TSS rods. It’s a heck of a fight on 2lb line.
    Likes Don Fischer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Any small jig will work for gills. The trout magnet is excellent and has a lot of fans on this board.

As for size, I don’t use heavier than 1/32 oz.
    +1 for Trout Magnet- love em!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know if you bank fish or not but I wanted to give some input from our Sunday trip. I had the TSS with a President 20 reel and some Sufix nanobraid in 2lb on it. I tied on what I think was a 1/32 rooster tail and had to keep stopping the cast or that rooster would have been deep in the woods. I mean it was sailing! Caught a few fish but nothing to test its worth. It allowed us to sneak up on fish by casting much longer that the other rods. Didn’t have the Airstream along but now I’m interested in testing apples against apples by setting it up with the same spinner and letting them fly.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I got my two Okuma Cellio 6'6" from Tackle Haven on line for 28 dollars each. You will love these rods. I bought one because of a post on this site then went out and got two more. My favorite rods by far.
    Likes Fishfishwish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of inexpensive bluegill setups. I have a couple of 7 1/2 foot Shakespeare UL micro rods I picked up cheap at Walmart with some Shimano 500 series Sienna reels. They both have SOS 2lb test on them and I can whip a 1/64 jig a pretty good distance with them. My second set up is a 5 1/2 Shimano Scimitar UL with a Okuma 500 series Stinson reel with 2 lb test. I can't tell you how much fun it is to battle panfish with this setup.
    Likes Fishfishwish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't be more than about 10,000 different opinion's on which rod is best for you. Just remember that no one has tried the all so possible they could be mistaken. First it as you seem to have done, figure out what your willing to pay. Then what fish your gonna go after. You said for gills, suggest small fish that aren't gonna be hard on any rod. In front of the handle writting on the rod should explain the rod in some way to you. If you see medium, medium heavy, ultra light ect it is the strength of the rod. No one buy's a Ultra Light rod to fish for 30# fish and that's not what your looking for. Your best in my opinion will be the ultra light rod and with the right line will work on fish going several pounds. Written on the rod you Should also see line weight, that recommends suggested line weight to use on the rod. All you need here is from 2# to maybe 8# line. Keep in mind the size of fish your after! There should also be a length written on the rod and it could go from about 5' on up. My favorite UL rod right now is in fact a 5' rod but I have several other's up to 7' and the biggest difference to me is a personal thing. The longer the rod is the more likely you will be to slam it in a door! Even a $400 rod will break if you slam it in a door! I'd give some though to a reel also. I'm not recalling how they rate the reels by number's but someone on here can tell you. I will say UL reel are about the smallest your gonna find and that's what I'd be looking for and then line. Stich with the manufacturer's recommendation on the rod. You don't need the heaviest for what you want and if you branch out some you might not want the lightest either. I would say do not go lower than 4# line or more than 6# line. If you decide to take on some other fish and actually need a heavier outfit, get the heavier outfit. I would not hesitate to use my UL rod and reel on up to say 4# or maybe 5# fish but then comes to rods and reel I have a number of different choices back in the bedroom! Start with bluegills up to say crappie and UL is gonna do you fine. In fact if you want to try bull heads your still normally fine with a UL outfit. Smallmouth bass are still in the game but fish over maybe 5# you should step up the say a medium action rod, 6# or better line, I'd suggest heavier line maybe 8# and a bit larger reel. That is not to say your UL with 4# line won't land a 5# fish, probably will but not a good idea for a starter to try and figure out, get something more suitable. caution is advised otherwise you'll have more fishing rod and reels than your wife has shoes! :-) have fun with it!

Post Thanks / Like

6'6 L crappie maxx is my new favorite bobber and beater rods. They fish just like most UL, not sure why they are labeled as L. They are sweet though for the price ($30), real lightweight, sensitive, good length, and one piece. Probably what I'd suggest for anyone starting to fish panfish.
    Likes livemusic LIKED above post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast