HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kicking 60amp breaker

Post Thanks / Like

You have two issues I think.

1: your auto bilge pump float switch is stuck. Chunks of plastic baits, line, weeds, anything that has fallen down in your boat and washed to the back can stick the float.. Pretty common actually. But it wouldnt be running if it was shorted. If you can reach the pump, the float is either going to be ON the pump itself, or somewhere near them mounted at the same level as the bilge pump. Poke it with a broom handle and it should shut off. That'll help you source your other issue without burning up your pump.

2: something else is shorting out, nothing back there should have an issue with getting wet though so that is interesting. Maybe the water actually moved a couple wires to something and now they are touching. Id take it to the dealer and let them dig through and find it if you dont have the means. You just need a multimeter and a lot of time.

Your 1200gph bilge should pull about 3-4A, if the motor overheated and stuck I doubt it could even pull 60A. Might be possible, but I really really doubt it.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I located the culprit after laying on my stomach for 1/2 a day unhooking about 100 wires, removing 5 batteries with a chain and a come-along, then removing the battery box floor. This boat has a wash-down pump that is built in way back by the livewell. Once I got the floor out of battery box, I could hear it plainly. I hooked it up and cycled the switch which is located on both the dash and transom. Cycling the switch shut the grinding noise off then it won't restart. I'm assuming the motor is fried. Under warranty.

I'm leaving the batteries out except for the cranking battery which all my accessories run off of. I'll leave the floor out of the area that hides the wash-down pump so Excel has easy access to it, and as soon as I'm able to ride, I'll get somebody to take me and the boat to the Union City,TN plant. I won't need it for 3 weeks or so and that should give them plenty of time to replace the pump.

BTW, the Storm Cat 230 is a 23 foot version of Excel's Storm Cat catfish tournament boat. Catfish guys need a wash-down pump so they can spray down the slimy floors and decks. I've found it very nice when somebody decides to dump a container of nightcrawlers. Before they get ground into the floor, whip out the coiled up garden hose and wash it all down.

Thanks for the comments. The wash down pump is by far the largest pump on the boat with heavy wiring. I just couldn't wrap my head around a stuck bilge pump or aerator. Wiring on those is too small to carry 60 amps.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes CrappiePappy, Dutch552, blueball LIKED above post
    Thanks Clint thanked you for this post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a shur flo washdown pump. It is a self priming demand pump with 45psi. Draws 10 amps. Handy tool. I use it on dirt daubers and bird dodo mostly.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob, Dutch552 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you found it
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12