HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reel choice

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel choice

I’m looking at a stradic 1000 and seeing that I really have two choices. One is the 5 to 1 gear ratio with a shallow spool or the 6 to 1 gear ratio with the deeper spool. Which do you see to be an advantage and why?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like horsing in fish, so a lower gear ratio would be my choice. I have one shallow spool reel and I don't see a major difference, other than less line is needed to fill it.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. I saw the 78 pages of background on the reels but I just haven’t had time to read it all. Plus a lot of it is out of my price range. Still a. Work in progress.

Post Thanks / Like

I never needed a deep spool in freshwater reels, and can't imagine needing it in any reel in 1000 size. As for the gear, it depends on what you plan to use it for. I can see advantages of lower gear with slow presentations, though I haven't found much of a difference myself. In this case it will be about 10 cm difference in hoisting length per handle revolution.
    I assume the 6.0 gear version with deep spool is USDM and the 5.1 gear version with shallow spool is JDM. The latter won't have any warranty, that's something to consider. You can of course always fill the deep spool with backing, just not my preference.
    Stradic FL is an excellent reel for about $170.

Post Thanks / Like

I like low ratio reels for working micro plastics. When using 2# test line….using a 1.5 gram jig head…..a low ratio reel is a must for keeping it deep in the water column. If you watch any of my videos when I’m fishing the mooring cells below Nickajack catching the Spotted bass and crappie it is all on low ratio reels. The low ratio reels are key in my success there in 21 feet of water. Most of my fishing is done with micro plastics. I do have one high speed reel…..it is a Shimano Twin Power. I use it if I want to burn a spinner bait in shallow water. I don’t use it much. As to shallow spools. I prefer them over deep spools. As has been said you use less line…..but I feel you can get somewhat better casting distance. Plus I use some really fine lines…..some of them in the .090 mm diameter. They just do not work well on deep spool reels. I also use a lot of polyester line…..using only about 50-60 meters on a spool and it works well with the shallow spools. Everyone says you can use backing on a deep spool reel, and that’s true….I just prefer not to fool with that. The last US Domestic market reel I owned was a deep spool Shimano Stradic 1000. It held 240 yards of 2# test line….a big waste of line. I have landed 20 inch Smallies using the 2.3# test ester lines and have never come close to being spooled even though I only had 50 meters of line on the reel. The low ratio reels not only work well for panfish….Smallies….Spots…..but trout also. I am currently looking to get a new Zenon reel but none of the 1000 S models are in the market yet….I would get the 2000 model but it is high speed…the 1000 is low speed. As you can tell I am a big fan of low ratio reels…LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes gillchaser999 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I like low ratio reels for working micro plastics.
    This ^^^^

I think the high ratio reels are made with the bass guys in mind, but not everybody has the "bass tournament" mindset.

I see no disadvantage in low ratio reels for UL fishing,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post

I think the high ratio reels are made with the bass guys in mind, but not everybody has the "bass tournament" mindset.
    2000 sizes in high gear are often for stream trout. 2500 sizes – mostly finesse bass applications. Anything 3000 and higher – all saltwater. In saltwater, high gear is often the optimal choice, with some exceptions (aging, slow jigging, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    2000 sizes in high gear are often for stream trout. 2500 sizes – mostly finesse bass applications. Anything 3000 and higher – all saltwater. In saltwater, high gear is often the optimal choice, with some exceptions (aging, slow jigging, etc.).
    Agree, particularly regarding saltwater where everything swims fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Agree, particularly regarding saltwater where everything swims fast!
    If you've ever tried to work a lure across the breaking wave in the surf, you'd know why they made extra high gear models...

I think one of the main reasons for choosing high gear in saltwater is casting distances – comes in handy when you need to retrieve about 50-60 yards of line before you can cast and work the lure again.
    Last edited by s_v; 07-09-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been the info I was looking for, thanks everyone. I looked a a used Stradic 1000 ci4 last week but it wasn’t what I was looking for, condition wise. Great looking reel. Up the gears were rough. Now I have to start snooping around in earnest.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast