HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking 60amp breaker

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kicking 60amp breaker

My wife and I were out yesterday trying out a new prop. Prop was great except I found out my engine is bolted too high. Kept losing water pressure and getting alarms.

When I loaded the boat, my wife didn’t get it up on the trailer as far as needed. I strapped it down before I realized it needed to go forward a few inches. I backed it back into the water long enough to crank it up a few inches. A 4000 pound boat has to be exactly right on trailer to pull right. While it was backed down it flooded my battery compartment and my double auto bilge pumps kicked on and pumped it out.

I got home and started getting boat ready for a guide trip. I noticed I had the 60 amp breaker for my engine tripped. When I reset it, I hear a motor running down inside by the transom then it will trip the breaker. I checked every switch on the boat and none were on. I reset it again and tried the hydraulic jack plate and engine trim before breaker tripped again. I still hear a motor noise deep inside the boat. I’m thinking I have an auto bilge pump locked up and trying to run. The pumps are 1200 gph. Is it possible a pump motor like this would trip a 60 amp breaker? I have never tripped it before.

Getting to the pumps involves removing my 3 100 pound golf cart batteries. That is a back-breaking job since they are jammed into a space with my two other batteries.

I have no other idea what I might be hearing. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the float switch stuck in the on position. Causing the bilge pump to run on your drive home overheating it and causing it to short out tripping the breaker. Do the bilge pumps have a manual,auto,off switch. That would be a way to eliminate or verify the bilge pump is the problem
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

a bilge with no water on it will get hot for sure , might be the issue , if all else fails you could do a little unhook of the wires under the dash and possibly trouble shoot if its one of the bilges that way ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I had one clogged with trash and stalled a couple of months ago. It was extremely hot when I realized what was going on. Couldn't here it run. It got replaced
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask Excel....or call Rickey
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I find a clamp-on ammeter (I have a Fluke 365) indispensable for tracing faults without detaching any wires - try to borrow one. Find the wire that has the current and trace it. DC motors draw the most current when the rotor is locked or jammed, maybe the noise is a hum. 60A is a lot, that's a lot more than locked-rotor amp draw, so the motor may be burnt - if that what it is.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask Canepole

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Ask Excel....or call Rickey
    It will be Rickie in that bilge ... Dux ain’t climbing in there with a brand new hip

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Clint, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The small wires of the pump would burn up with 60 amps going through them
    Likes Billbob, Kevin22 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All the properly wired bilge pumps I've seen have a 10-15 amp fuse, maybe something else has gotten wet and has shorted out.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast