HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fishing as we know it will have to change

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Maybe I can get Scotty to teleport:rolleyes: me out in the lake.
    Now that's funny. The tool and die shop was cnc milling some hubs today. The had a long shank end mill in it doing some deep blind plunge milling. Every time it would peck it chattered enough to resonate through the machine and sound like an alarm going off. Sounded like the old Star trek engine room alarm. Some of the brass heard it and went running in there. The machinist hollered I'm given her all she's got in a Scot accent. They didn't think it was funny at all. Boy I sure did. 2 Star Trek references in one day
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Newer 2 stroke might be the answer. Ford is trying one out in the f150. It is the opposing cylinder design. 50% fuel mile increase with current model. Freight trucks trying it out too. Much cheaper to build than 4 stroke and not near the moving parts.
    I have read some on the opposing piston diesel engine. It shows some impressive numbers for sure. I will have to read up on the gasoline engine

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I was looking at battery powered outboards. The cost of gas determines a lot of things and you can ballast a boat better with batteries. Weight used to be a concern, but in time, even deep cells will get smaller and smaller. Look at the battery in your phone, years ago, you had a monster battery running a digital readout and then a mini 1" screen. I'm not saying I want to charge my boat, but torque and power is much higher and more efficient coming out of an electric motor.
    Anthony

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no sound or smell that will ever replace an old time 2 cycle oil burner.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes S10CHEVY, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRo0sTer View Post
    Last year I was looking at battery powered outboards. The cost of gas determines a lot of things and you can ballast a boat better with batteries. Weight used to be a concern, but in time, even deep cells will get smaller and smaller. Look at the battery in your phone, years ago, you had a monster battery running a digital readout and then a mini 1" screen. I'm not saying I want to charge my boat, but torque and power is much higher and more efficient coming out of an electric motor.
    I would say that the phone electronics because a lot more efficient. More cell towers also meant less wattage to send and receive information. I don't know how much more efficiency can be gotten out of an electric motor at present technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    There is no sound or smell that will ever replace an old time 2 cycle oil burner.
    Premix by far. Oil injection just doesn't smell the same
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I would say that the phone electronics because a lot more efficient. More cell towers also meant less wattage to send and receive information. I don't know how much more efficiency can be gotten out of an electric motor at present technology.
    The efficiency is there in motors, drives and VFDs, but I don't know how long batteries will take to catch up. The new Hummer EV has a boat load of torque and HP. It gets 100 miles of travel on just 10 mins of charging. At full charge it can get 300 miles. How many gallons of gas would you have to carry to get 100-300 miles in a boat and have massive HP & Torque? I'm not pushing for electric boat motors, but if you can plug it in over night and go 300 miles on that charge. Wow!!!

11500 ft lbs of torque
    1000 HP

Of course this in a big truck. Brushless motors have a load of potential. Batteries will be the choke point.
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I was not as much talking about speed as I was talking range. The Stratos I have has a 150hp 2 stroke and a 30 gallon tank. It is a 65mph boat. A range of about 25 mile to dead empty. The 17.5 tracker aluminum with a 60hp 4stroke and a 13 gsllon tank. Will get real close to 60 miles on a tank of fuel. It is a 35 mph boat. I am happy with the range and the fuel savings. Over twice as far on less than half the fuel. The motor technology is there. There is not the range in the battery. I have now doubt an electric boat could produce incredible speeds. The amount of torgue that can be produced with the right prop would make one snappy drag boat
    For me at least 35 mph would be faster than id want to go in a 17’ aluminum boat if it wasent flat calm water.
    At 20 mph it might get twice the milage and would take all of maybe 5 minits longer to get to the place we want to go.
    This whole horsepower thing as it relates to outboard powered boats is way over the top in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRo0sTer View Post
    The efficiency is there in motors, drives and VFDs, but I don't know how long batteries will take to catch up. The new Hummer EV has a boat load of torque and HP. It gets 100 miles of travel on just 10 mins of charging. At full charge it can get 300 miles. How many gallons of gas would you have to carry to get 100-300 miles in a boat and have massive HP & Torque? I'm not pushing for electric boat motors, but if you can plug it in over night and go 300 miles on that charge. Wow!!!

11500 ft lbs of torque
    1000 HP

Of course this in a big truck. Brushless motors have a load of potential. Batteries will be the choke point.
    Also a rolling load requiring higher energy to start it off but once to speed power can be decreased to maintain speed. A lot more resistance to a boat hull, once at a give speed any reduction in power and the boat will slow down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    For me at least 35 mph would be faster than id want to go in a 17’ aluminum boat if it wasent flat calm water.
    At 20 mph it might get twice the milage and would take all of maybe 5 minits longer to get to the place we want to go.
    This whole horsepower thing as it relates to outboard powered boats is way over the top in my opinion.
    I fall back off plane around 18mph. I usually cruise between 20 and 25 mph. Fuel consumption is not bad. It is so much better than the boat it replaced

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234