HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting set up to pull

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting set up to pull

Need some advice. I know I need medium power rods. The big question is about the reels. I spend quite a bit on my hardcore bass reels. Is it necessary to go expensive on crankbait pulling reels?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    "CRAPPIE" Enough Said

Post Thanks / Like

That’s “Getting set up to pull”
    "CRAPPIE" Enough Said

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Line counter reels from northwoods outlet ! Shakespeare ats is what I use but some folks have had issues with line getting behind the spool so you could step it up anther20-30bucks and get the Okuma or the Daiwas .have heard good results with those as well!.
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, no. You do not have to get expensive to catch crappie with cranks. I caught crappie for years with old worn out jig poles and casting rods equipped with cheap spinning reels. However, you will probably want to invest in some line counter reels. They will help you fish a consistent depth. The Okumas are good.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes hawgdog LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to Diawa Accudepth Plus 17s. Zero issue with line getting behind spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigum View Post
    That’s “Getting set up to pull”
    got it
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Shakespeare ATS from Northwoods have served me well
    Likes hawgdog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ATS as well, and have had the line get behind the spool, but its a quick fix to get the spool off and get the line out. Is it fun to do out on the water, no, but it is simple. If I had to do it all over again, I might step up to another reel after listening to others advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Shakespeare reels and have had the problem with line getting behind the spool. I found that putting a little less line on the reel makes the problem almost go away. I do not think that I had the fouling problem all last season.

I also bought a spare and keep it ready to go in case the line does get behind the spool and the fish are really biting. I can switch it out quickly and have all of the poles fishing then when the fish cool off I work on the fouled reel. The Shakespeare reels overall have been good for me. I looked at the Okama reels and decided that what I had was working so I have not switched.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby24 View Post
    I use the Shakespeare reels and have had the problem with line getting behind the spool. I found that putting a little less line on the reel makes the problem almost go away. I do not think that I had the fouling problem all last season.

I also bought a spare and keep it ready to go in case the line does get behind the spool and the fish are really biting. I can switch it out quickly and have all of the poles fishing then when the fish cool off I work on the fouled reel. The Shakespeare reels overall have been good for me. I looked at the Okama reels and decided that what I had was working so I have not switched.
    Hey Stubby how full do you load the spool? Half full? Three quarters full? I currently run Okumas but just purchased several ATS reels. Didn't know about line getting behind spool issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast