Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fillet knife recommendation please

Post Thanks / Like

Default New fillet knife recommendation please

Could someone recommend a good fillet knife(non electric) looking for something that will keep a sharp edge but also fairly easy to touch up. Not looking for electric as I never know where I'll end up cleaning fish. Thanks

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The choices are practically endless. Best advice I can give is Rapala fillet knives. Fairly cheap and easily resharpened.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several different one's but the Rapala's are my favorite. Got a new one last winter at Walmart for about three bucks but haven't tried it yet.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dexter Russell Sani-safe. They supply a SIGNIFICANT portion of the knives used commercial food-processing industry. I've got 2 of them in my "fillet bucket".

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
    Dexter Russell Sani-safe. They supply a SIGNIFICANT portion of the knives used commercial food-processing industry. I've got 2 of them in my "fillet bucket".
    X2

Sent from my E6910 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes TreednNC, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There are Dexter Russell's, then there's the wanna be's that people make-do with

Post Thanks / Like

This Billy Betts knife was recommended on this forum by some people and I bought it. I have not used it enough to adequately assess it other than 'it worked fine.' As for sharpening it, I dunno but I assume that you can. I like the plastic scabbard. I like that it is a 6 inch knife. The reason I bought was because my Bubba Blade knife (I think it is a 9 inch) seems too long for bream. The smaller knife is better. I think it was $7 total, so, I was good with that!

One thing I noticed about this knife is the edge. I don't know much about knives but the sharpening method on this knife left countless striation marks along the edge. I think some knives are sharpened by chemical etching these days? Or laser? LOL, I don't know, all I know is it's unique. It cut fine, I just mention it because the edge looks 'different.'

I seem to recall the member, @Ketchn, on here likes this knife. Maybe he will chime in.

Amazon.com
    ~~~
    Bill
    Likes SpeckledSlab, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up 2 of the Billy Bay knives at Cabelas for 4.99 ea 2 weeks ago. I've only cleaned 27 bluegill and 14 crappie with them. That said they are sharp and have worked just as well as the Rapala knives I've been using. With Rapala I've been using the wood handle made in Finland ( Finnish ancestry) and the black soft grip handle. As livemusic said I kind of like the plastic case that it comes with to protect the blade and you.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you said you never know where you’ll wind up cleaning fish, I bought cordless rechargeable Bass Pro filet knife and have been very pleased. To ea his own, I just aint a fan of ol fashion fish cleanin
    Likes NCkenner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We are in the process of trying the billy betts high viz knife, but picked up a bubba blade rechargeable only cleaned a 100 or so but so far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast