HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting blackberries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hunting blackberries

They seem to run in some sort of cycles , like pecans and acorns , this year is a good one .
    Rainy years seem better to me , but as always there seems to be lots more snakes and other biting critters around as well .
    The skeeters were huge and mean , we even found a nice hungry tick , a pretty large snake shed , and later a rather large bull snake .
    But then as my wife picked and we fought off them skeeters ,she STOPPED ?
    I was in the pick quick mode as the skeeters were in droves and just hacking away at me .
    I was like what is the deal with you as she had that surprised look and wasn't picking anymore ?
    She says there is a snake in the bushes ! I said I bet so , what kind is it and she said ...
    a long and green one !
    I said no worries it is ok dear , not anything to worry about .
    she said whatever >>>>
    and I AM DONE PICKING BERRIES TODAY !
    p.s. at around a gallon of berries we quit and made it out ALIVE !
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks BigDawgg thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My mom and dad always were early in AM pickers. When my mom started to sweat it was time to go! Thanks for the photos!
    Likes Ketchn, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Not seen any around here yet.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Ketchn LIKED above post

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

My neighbors is in flower mode. Will be picking them, but always wear a sleeved shirt, and pants, even if hot. No ticks, your not feasting on me.
    Likes Ketchn, hdhntr LIKED above post

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My blackberries have become a preferred browse for the deer. Best part is they eat the leaves not the berries. Just hoping the huge boar bear doesn't come back when the berries are ready!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCG1 View Post
    My blackberries have become a preferred browse for the deer. Best part is they eat the leaves not the berries. Just hoping the huge boar bear doesn't come back when the berries are ready!
    EVERYTHING was eating them berries , the birds and butterflies ,wasps and other insects .
    some of the spots had beat down paths thru them , hogs maybe ?
    the problem with a super attractor is the predators that lay in wait .
    we have a hard fast rule about any berry that falls to the ground .
    leave it where it lays , the snakes are after the rodents under them vines that are also after the berries
    Likes MCG1, hdhntr, shadow LIKED above post

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your snakes are different than ours! Hog nose and blue racers are the predominate ones here. Fun to have attractors to help view wildlife, as long as they don't take more than their fair share, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

used to pick them for grannie as she made the best cobblers and still love to get after them whenever I can find a reliable patch, which isn't often unfortunately. snakes don't bother me any but always wear long shirts and pants to keep the ticks at a minimum and then shed them before getting into car for shorts and t shirt.
    Likes Redge, MCG1, Ketchn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCG1 View Post
    Your snakes are different than ours! Hog nose and blue racers are the predominate ones here. Fun to have attractors to help view wildlife, as long as they don't take more than their fair share, eh?
    we have hognose here as well , and yellow bellied racers and of course about a bunch of copperheads and other varieties in the mix , saw a large almost totally eaten texas rat snake right where she saw the rough green last week . probably a hawk maybe ?
    haven't seen a diamond back yet or other venomous variants ,but who knows what might be in the tall grass and brush out there .

Post Thanks / Like

I still pick "dewberries" (what most people call black berries) in the same place I did as a kid and I'm 51 now. I have 3 black berry bushes in my yard which makes for easy pickings! Got a blueberry tree that is doing really well right now also. The difference between dewberries and black berries is the dewberries are the ones that grow on vines on the side of the road and they are smaller and sweeter than the black berries. The black berries are bigger and grow on a bush and not quite as sweet. I do have a great recipe from my grandmother for a blackberry cobbler if anyone is interested.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!
    Likes Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast