HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canoe stability

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is individually for everyone's choice. Indeed, many things depend on the model of kayak or canoe. At the exact moment, you must consider why you need it - to float or you want to use it for fishing. As for me, the canoe is better for fishing. You can take a look at some models that are considered the best on outdoorlifecafe.com. Study the characteristics carefully to understand what loading is possible for your boat and what thickness and material from which it is made.
    Likes SpeckledSlab, LadyBear, Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A canoe is much dryer, can be lighter and hold far more gear. Canoes run the gamut in stability though. Those made for fishing are much much more stable than those made for running rivers and speed on big water. I have a sportspal and my dog can go swimming and climb back in with no problems. I have other canoes that will roll if you lean the wrong way. You really need to research the various models before you make that decision.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned a 15' Grumman flat bottom, heavy gauge aluminum canoe for decades. I use it with a side-mount trolling motor, have oar locks for rowing and can stand in it when I'm fishing. The oars are used to keep the canoe on track (like keels) and for rowing in shallow areas where the trolling motor has to be raised. I sit facing backwards at one end and the battery is in the middle of the canoe near the trolling motor and also used for my Lowrance fish finder with transducer attached to the tm.

I can easily carry it on my shoulders and at one time mounted it on my car rack (a Ford Maverick in fact). Fished out of it for years until I got a bass boat but still use it where gas motors aren't allowed and for a shallow river and lakes where access is limited from the road.
    Likes SpeckledSlab, skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

What spoonminnow said. I’ve fished out of a canoe since scouts and have owned a few. My last was fairly recent and was a Grumman 15’ with a flat bottom. Worked well and never had any stability issues. I also faced backwards from the front seat to better distribute the weight. Also had a tm mount on it that wasn’t big at 35 lbs of thrust and I had other canoe folks telling me I was cheating. I think they were jealous. And yes, I too stood and fished out of it. Bad shoulders was my reason for selling. Loading and having to empty and reload when using it was a bother and I started looking for a Jon and trailer. If the shoulders were better, I’d have a canoe like it til I wasn’t able to walk, one of the best platforms available.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Spoonminnow, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Old Town 14 Guide series. I can stand in the middle and paddle it with a kayak paddle. It sure helps when you need to stretch out after sitting for so long
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I have an Old Town 14 Guide series. I can stand in the middle and paddle it with a kayak paddle. It sure helps when you need to stretch out after sitting for so long
    Probably and old SURFER...all I can say is Ya Talented...and I be Jealous
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

No surfable stuff where I grew up. Certainly can't skateboard or roller skate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    What spoonminnow said. I’ve fished out of a canoe since scouts and have owned a few. My last was fairly recent and was a Grumman 15’ with a flat bottom. Worked well and never had any stability issues. I also faced backwards from the front seat to better distribute the weight. Also had a tm mount on it that wasn’t big at 35 lbs of thrust and I had other canoe folks telling me I was cheating. I think they were jealous. And yes, I too stood and fished out of it. Bad shoulders was my reason for selling. Loading and having to empty and reload when using it was a bother and I started looking for a Jon and trailer. If the shoulders were better, I’d have a canoe like it til I wasn’t able to walk, one of the best platforms available.
    I sill have the exact same one, motor bracket included.
    Never used the bracket, but used the canoe alot in Canada for the hard to get to places, weighs about 60#.
    It sits at our PA camp and gets some use there.

Post Thanks / Like

There are just some things canoes do best.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    If you're looking for stability, check this out:

Attachment 322059

All it is, is a pool noodle slipped over bent conduit, screwed to the gunnel.

Attachment 322060

The below picture is from many many years ago. with this canoe I remember being able to get into the canoe from the water on the side very easy, it was so stable. This canoe had extra large noodles!

On the above, I did not screw anything to the canoe. I just wrapped bungee cords around the cross members, and the bent conduit. In this case I connected both sides together as you see pictured.
    Now, thats pretty neat! Did Tom Tom think of that ?
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast