HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shad Imitation

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad Imitation

Been reading about crappie and what attracts them. Color of course seems to be the most focussed upon aspect of a jig. However profile is also important, or it should be. So I added potbellies to a couple to get that shad profile.

Name:  6B9DA276-092C-401C-A219-2700B5CB61D7.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  75.1 KB

Seems the lakes are slam full of shad, so they must make up a large part of the predator’s diet. I have seen on several occasions baby shad being slapped about by predators and when I got home tried to fashion up a jig with the shad shape.

The eyes have been an issue for me as I do not care for stick ons. These were some of the worse left overs from my experiments. Anyways I am practicing using nail polish for my eyes. Of course white with black dot, but also just some sparkle will add the effect of an eye. Others turned out much better. I like nail polishes that provide UV reflectivity.

Today out on the lake the water was green with maybe an inch visibility. The Tail Gunner style jigs did better than those with no spinner. They also have been picking up catfish for some reason, but it could be the slab sauce doing the deed as well. I landed fish using them pushed out the front and trailing behind planer boards.

I am excited to get my package from Bartlows as it will have my bottom pour Lee 20# pot. It will also have large propellers so I can get started with my idea of adding props to jigs. I know others have already done everything possible, but sometimes new ideas can sneak in.

I am interested in trying to go with more natural colors. The grey chenilles did well today vs. bright colors. I need to obtain some more life like minnow chenilles and while flash probably is useless in the green water, just having the silver color might be an advantage.

Could not tell what kind of action my flapper tail jig produced. Nothing hit it.

I am so excited to try that Bat jig with small plastic baits. I also plan to add blades to the larger size. Just very interested at the prospects of what can be done with the shorter profile. Seems it would be an advantage to get more wiggle from the plastic bodies. I never cared for inserting hooks into the plastics as they seldom line up perfectly for me. Just piercing the front and letting the wire keeper hang on should lessen my errors and provide more freedom of movement. Also letting me utilize smaller plastics with larger heads. Trolling jigs, not jigging them is what I do so larger heads don’t hurt, they help.

So.....been thinking about what makes for a successful jig. A big old lazy fish sitting there, minding his own business, suddenly hears something. He can figure out which direction it is approaching from. He knows whatever it is it will come into view right about there, and only be visible for a short distance before it is gone. It is this getting noticed part that I am focussed on. If the fish never realizes my jig is near I have absolutely zero chance of catching him. If however he does notice it, well then he must make a decision- eat it or don’t bother. Getting him to the point where he is making a decision is key. They are dumb and make bad decisions all the time. I also figure that they are skittish and always wary of being eaten by alligators, gar, bass, big catfish, etc. So ever vigilant for danger, always ready to exploit an opportunity. I want to aim my efforts at a few larger fish, not necessarily filling the cooler with big numbers. I want my jigs to scream out and be like the High School Marching Band coming down Main Street. Over here.....I am over here.

Anyways, as always I like to get advice from the experts. Go any advice ?

BTW.....whenever I delete an added photo it appears as an attachment below. Is there a way to delete pictures once they have been added ?

Name:  F7A0E5CC-B1F4-48F9-8030-16A51D245A32.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  54.0 KB
    Name:  509D2B89-12DB-474C-985C-3364AC4C7FAB.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  169.5 KB
    Name:  82FA9BBE-378E-4169-A15A-A59C4C5EAD17.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  147.0 KB
    Name:  6EA9026E-BB5B-4B2B-8544-C0ED46D4BFA7.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  27.7 KB
    Name:  215207E3-B9D8-4933-9FB0-B3A5E3B07B8A.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  45.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes MCG1, skeetbum, S10CHEVY, longhunter, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those look awesome
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat jigs. First thing I thought when I saw that was the Thump Chubbies from constant pursuit outfitters. Sort of same profile with the big belly.
    Likes Pondfisher42 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Gee thanks.

Do you think the profile matches a shad’s ?

Thump Chubbies....hmmmmmmm....are they popular ? I mean they look like a fat Baby Shad by Garland. So obviously somebody thought about the profile besides me.

Garland Baby Shad
    Name:  9656C1A8-680F-466C-9546-BF11E7AD3EA7.jpeg
Views: 471
Size:  22.6 KB

Thump Chubbie
    Name:  9A4F485E-CF78-4940-96DF-89C9D42F4273.jpeg
Views: 484
Size:  325.3 KB

Me
    Name:  503A901B-8843-4318-9C6E-CF77742C419F.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  87.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You’re always chasing ideas, and that will bring success. Nice work, hope you continue do improve along the way.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful photos, and an interesting post and comments. Thanks for the share!
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

You have to delete them at the point you have them just before you post. Click on each pic with control button pushed you should be able to delete it and stop it attaching.

I can delete any you want if you tell me which one for sure.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  507733C6-EDAB-498A-A230-BBCC16ACE4EF.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  66.2 KB

I got bottom pour pot and started making jigs. This one was dipped into clear powder paint with UV enhancements, then baked, then white and black nail polish eyes, then propeller neck with blade out back. The chenille is car mit.

The clear powder keeps the jig head shiny silver. That fresh poured lead look.

Here with a UV light to show reflectivity.

Name:  2F729EF9-6953-4ACE-9650-1270F9FC5BC9.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  41.7 KB

I figured out how to add the wire keeper thingie to the mold. Poured a bunch with those keepers to use for plastic baits. Also made ones without keepers for the tying vice. Trick was to grab top of wire with pliers then push bottom into mold and release. Worked about same effort as inserting hook. Those heads with keepers will be painted bright colors that will better match up with plastic baits.

Painting the eyes was easy peasy because jig head has indentations. These make it easy to make round eyes. I plan to use wild colors for the eyes on some. Glitter polish eyes look great with white or yellow chartreuse for example. UV glow orange with green UV pupil. Nail polishes come in interesting colors.

Bottom pour pot was not easy, and they put one of the legs right where I want to place mold. Hard to keep lead contained to just one hole. Later I was getting the hang of it. Better than my one pound Rowell ladle though.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F5E17CCD-F6D5-4C82-8222-C5729FDD192E.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  71.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

The propeller is touchy. Regular round bead impedes the spin (pictured). I switched to an oval shaped bead and spin city (not pictured). That also made it a lot easier to tie chenille because no worries with crowding bead.

I plan to order smaller drop shot swivels for my tail spinners. Afraid to try smaller split rings- LOL.

Getting better at the eyes. Now I brush polish into cavity, let dry, then dob in the pupil using end of stick dipped. Kind of punching it on.

Can’t wait to take these babies for a spin.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast