Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good, light spinning reel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    Shimano Sahara ,under a 100 , thank me later
    The Sahara is an incredible deal for the money. I have a 2500 size on my main spinning combo for bass and it is just a workhorse. And, so buttery smooth even after I've beat the tar out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Okuma for the money are very smooth reels. For around $30 you can get a nice Okuma spinning reel.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be taking a hard look at the drags on the ul reels if you plan on going after anything that puts up a fight.

I use the pflueger president 20's (2 of them) and the daiwa regal's (2 of them also) for panfish. Mainly bluegill, crappie & perch but I end up with a lot of catfish also. I'm not trying to catch catfish but they manage to show up every outing. The drag's on the sp 20's are maxed out @ 6#. The daiwa's are maxed at 11#. Makes a huge difference when trying to muscle these bigger fish in, especially when kayak fishing or trying to keep them from going into heavy cover.

It's good to have a small reel for panfish, any ul reel will work. It's when you hook into 20+" catfish, grass carp or large mouth bass & don't have the luxury of letting them run. You'll be glad you have a reel that can actually fight these larger fish if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

good gears, good break, and good bearings cost money. You find um on a 30 dollar reel...
    >>>-----------> Make It Count!!! <><

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Diawa Regal 2500 and will likely buy a 1000 in the future. A 10 bearing that is well done and very smooth. Years back I bought a Diawa Capricorn at a flea market from a friend that ran the booth. It was the smoothest reel I had handled at the time and I haven’t regretted spending the money and it has served me very well since, now 10 years. I see the Regal as being another of this same smoothness and quality but only time will tell. Lots of good reels for under $100.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes BobC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

An 11 pounds drag with 4# line doesn't matter.
    Likes deathb4disco, MrSiegs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202 View Post
    The Sahara is an incredible deal for the money. I have a 2500 size on my main spinning combo for bass and it is just a workhorse. And, so buttery smooth even after I've beat the tar out of it.
    NOBODY puts more miles on tackle than me for sure
    "IF" it can handle me and simply abuse the tackle as they go . There are days I hit 3 different lakes in a day and I have 2 Shimano Saharas and they have been on more different rods than I can count . Both travel with me on different rods daily and get exchanged when I feel the need to do so . I would promote these professionally speaking in a blink if Shimao wanted someone to showcase them .
    I run the smallest version on them and don't even know what series number they actually are .
    to this day , BOTH perform like they just came out of the box ! I also run one high end Pflueger that is "just" about as good so far , but its a baby in years of use in comparison .
    when I said thank me later it wasn't a joke
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    NOBODY puts more miles on tackle than me for sure
    "IF" it can handle me and simply abuse the tackle as they go . There are days I hit 3 different lakes in a day and I have 2 Shimano Saharas and they have been on more different rods than I can count . Both travel with me on different rods daily and get exchanged when I feel the need to do so . I would promote these professionally speaking in a blink if Shimao wanted someone to showcase them .
    I run the smallest version on them and don't even know what series number they actually are .
    to this day , BOTH perform like they just came out of the box ! I also run one high end Pflueger that is "just" about as good so far , but its a baby in years of use in comparison .
    when I said thank me later it wasn't a joke
    I am curious how you fish. Out of a boat or from the bank? You do fish a lot. How many days/wk you fish? Just curious, you catch a lot.

Back to reels, yesterday, I saw a Lews Laser Lite Speed Spin reel, model LLS50 at Academy for only $30. It is incredibly light, 4.9 oz! Has 7 bearings, 6+1. Is 5.0:1 retrieve. What do you guys think? For panfish/crappie, could this work well? That's the lightest I've seen; the specs compared to the price seems a bargain for panfish.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    I am curious how you fish. Out of a boat or from the bank? You do fish a lot. How many days/wk you fish? Just curious, you catch a lot.

Back to reels, yesterday, I saw a Lews Laser Lite Speed Spin reel, model LLS50 at Academy for only $30. It is incredibly light, 4.9 oz! Has 7 bearings, 6+1. Is 5.0:1 retrieve. What do you guys think? For panfish/crappie, could this work well? That's the lightest I've seen; the specs compared to the price seems a bargain for panfish.
    '
    the laser light is not durable enough to handle me , I "had" 2 and both gave up rather quickly . well under a year of use .
    some reels feel nice and look nice and are light weight .....but i often find they actually are just "lightweights "
    lightest reels are NOT always the bestest ones btw ....
    my garage wall has probably 50 small open faced spinning reels that have been retired for various reasons
    i heard this one was good and or that one and tried most of them ....
    Okumas were ok but not long lived at around a year or so
    the list is long but again ,,,drop the 80 and get the small Shimano Sahara , it might cost twice as much ,but its hundreds of times better than most reels i have used .
    I "try" to wet a jig 7 days a week and will "try" just about anything to ketch a crappie .
    Bank , boat , dock , whatever the case and or situation might involve to ketch one is me
    and KABOOM is the word
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes BobC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishingTheMidsouth View Post
    An 11 pounds drag with 4# line doesn't matter.

That's 1 way of looking at it. I'm sure everyone sets up a lite large mouth bass setup with 4# line. I'll have to go back and re-read the op's post. Thought they asked about a ul setup that could double as a lite largemouth rig also???

Myself I use 8# 8 strand braid anymore. Lost too many fish in cover using a lite drag and 4# mono. Too bad I really like the trilene xl smooth cast too. From shore it wasn't too bad and I could at least have a chance tiring the fish out with long runs/fights. In a kayak that's anchored with stringers hanging down, not so much. A running fish gets tangled pretty easy along with fishing stump fields and heavy cover.

All of these fish were caught in a kayak. A 18" lm bass on a bison trout magnet.
    [IMG][/IMG]

These were caught using a modified drop shot. 25" catfish
    [IMG][/IMG]

More cats while perch fishing
    [IMG][/IMG]

Typical cats while drop shotting for bluegill
    [IMG][/IMG]

only 1 catfish that day
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm targeting the panfish pictured above but the catfish seem to show up after awhile. I believe it's from me inadvertently chumming for them with some of the panfish bleeding from hook sets.

Anyway some of us have learned lessons the hard way with what does and doesn't work with lite tackle and larger fish. Especially when there isn't room to let the fish run. I've had a lot of issues with the 6# drag on the sp20's with loosing fish due to the running/tangling and I couldn't stop them, control them, let alone slow them down. The daiwa's rule!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast