HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KY Lake

Post Thanks / Like

If you want those geese back bring a Big net up here to the city. We've got geese coming out the wazoo. There must be 75 or more living by the catch basin behind U of L Shelby campus. you'd think they owned the place, they walk across the street like there's a parade and don't seem to mind the horns honking at them to get out of the way.
    I don't mind them, but it would be nice if someone could thin them out a little.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR has had the shocking boat out and posted this yesterday:

"The Redear spawn is on at Kentucky and Barkley! One of the questions we get a lot is “When is the best time to catch redear?” And the answer this year is right now. We can’t recall ever seeing as many redear on the banks as we are seeing right now. Spawning typically starts when the water hits 65 degrees and will continue for a couple of weeks as the males continue guarding eggs and fry on their shallow depression nests. These fish prefer to spawn on gravel and around cover like flooded vegetation, so try to target these areas if you can."

Post Thanks / Like

"We can’t recall ever seeing as many redear on the banks as we are seeing right now". ROTFL!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by wmac62 View Post
    "We can’t recall ever seeing as many redear on the banks as we are seeing right now". ROTFL!!!
    I want to add one more thing, can you please post pictures of al these fish they have shocked up?

Post Thanks / Like

Four of us fished many hours and caught one of those shallow red ears he said they are seeing tons of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy
    Likes wmac62 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to add one more thing, can you please post pictures of al these fish they have shocked up?
    I would but the crappie.com owner I believe has removed my ability to post pictures after I posted pictures about an issue with the PICO cranks last year.

You can go on Facebook and look at the Western Kentucky Fisheries page for some photos. Call Adam Martin, he's the main contact for fish on Ky and Barkley Lake, maybe he can provide you some tips on how to catch them, his contact info is on the Western Kentucky Fisheries page on Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

These lakes aren’t near as dead as some folks are trying to make them out to be. Numbers are a little lower on Barkley than in the past for crappie but Kentucky from the dam to way south has been better this year than it has in a while. I have had one trip since the lakes froze in February that I didn’t catch 20 keepers and that was to Big Sandy after a lot of fish had spawned and don’t know that area well at all. Most trips I have caught 25-35 keepers. Crappie are getting near done spawning and bite can be finicky for couple weeks after that. I don’t fish for redear but have seen multiple pictures of limits being caught in the last week on other groups.

I am not posting this to put anyone down or to brag, I have basically quit posting pictures anymore on public groups. Only posting to show that there are fish and they are healthy. These pictures are from the last month, have a bunch more just like it from before that. And other than keeping these few in pictures for friends that don’t get to fish much, most of fish I have caught this year are still swimming in the lakes, might have cleaned 20 this year for myself. Like it has been since I started doing this, some areas are better than others from month to month and year to year, it changes constantly.

Name:  IMG_2383.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  77.0 KBName:  IMG_2323.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  65.2 KBName:  A1866BBE-1052-4377-977A-54A0C45AB93F.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  99.7 KBName:  63B8AE6D-3B02-4902-8EDF-F2E200199160.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  162.7 KBName:  42872D09-DB99-4335-9E1B-53E69063A821.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  73.3 KBName:  IMG_2386.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  51.2 KB
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Likes GREENFISH, M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are successful, good for you. I will stay elsewhere because obviously I must be a bad fisherman.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy
    Likes wmac62, M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Jigboy you crack me up, I'm glad there are people like you who tell the truth. I guess my fishing skills have gone out the window after fishing for 40 years or more just like yours. Maybe the older we get the poorer our fishing skills become, lol. Maybe many of my neighbors who live on the lake just decided to give up on Crappie fishing all together because their fishing skills have diminished. Maybe spending nearly 16 hours on Little River area on a Saturday and Sunday, fishing deep, shallow, long line, spider rigging, jigs, minnows, red worms, bank casting, are all a result of my diminished skills. This is all imaginary, nothing to see here, perfectly normal, have the KDFW pick me up at my dock, lets do a ride along out here and see how many fish we can shock up. I will be waiting
    Thanks Jigboy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Jigboy you crack me up, I'm glad there are people like you who tell the truth. I guess my fishing skills have gone out the window after fishing for 40 years or more just like yours. Maybe the older we get the poorer our fishing skills become, lol. Maybe many of my neighbors who live on the lake just decided to give up on Crappie fishing all together because their fishing skills have diminished. Maybe spending nearly 16 hours on Little River area on a Saturday and Sunday, fishing deep, shallow, long line, spider rigging, jigs, minnows, red worms, bank casting, are all a result of my diminished skills. This is all imaginary, nothing to see here, perfectly normal, have the KDFW pick me up at my dock, lets do a ride along out here and see how many fish we can shock up. I will be waiting
    cant do a ride along with covid, but you can do a ride beside in your boat if you want. Little river is the only site we have left to do on either lake. Should be Thursday or Friday weather dependent. We won’t see many crappie most likely due to the timing, but bass and redear will be seen. As for the redear we saw this week, our best day was in big bear. I have never seen them so concentrated. I always tell people that 95% of each bay won’t have a single redear. That other 5% will be packed. Anyway, hope this helps. Maybe we’ll see you out there.
    Likes pab1981, GREENFISH, redearhoosier, M R Dux LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast