HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early bedding Redear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early bedding Redear

My favorite crappie lake was a bust again Thursday so tried another lake to avoid the skunk and wanted to try my new knee high wading boots. Lakes are up from recent rains and wanted to get past the briars and cattails that surround the lake. Started catching bluegill right away up to 8 inches long and saw some lily pads that are just starting to break the surface moving. There were redear already on beds which I had never seen this early before. They were spooky and could only get a couple to nip the tail of my jig. 0 on the redear. I went back yesterday with even smaller jigs 3/4" and it made a big difference. Ended up catching 15 redear along with some gills. I kept ten redear around 9.5 inches long and released the five that were over 10". Pictured are the jigs used for my trip and soon will be eating some fish tacos. Name:  IMG_2284.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  102.7 KBName:  IMG_2287.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  182.8 KBName:  IMG_1841.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  109.9 KBName:  IMG_1842.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  129.6 KB
    Thanks RiverHunter thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post of your adventure. Sounds like you figured out what they wanted. Enjoy the tacos!
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Changing to the tiny jigs certainly was the difference and had some jigs that were even smaller if those hadn't worked. The jigs are tied on #12 sickles and I did lose a half dozen or so using these but what good are bigger jigs if they won't eat them. The knee high wading boots made a big difference getting me out past the junk at the bank, until I took one too many steps and they filled up. I used a 3/4" weighted float and was reeling it super slow. The second the float moved different I set the hook. They weren't taking it under at all.
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man those look great! The fish and the jigs! Congrats on a fun trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch, that tiny jig was the ticket. Did you or do you tip with a small nibble/worm piece when they get finicky like that. No Redears in the two lakes and fish

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish!

Regards

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those look great Jim! I can’t seem to find them here yet, or they may be done and gone. I know the fight crackers that size give, have you been able to wipe the smile off of your face yet? Good job Mister!!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I was tipping the baits with pink, chartreuse or glow white Berkley power wigglers which I cut in half lengthwise and then cut those in half so four baits total for one wiggler. Tipping adds color and scent so they hold it a second or two longer. I'm sure a 1" piece of worm would work too, but are messier and might make my peanut butter cracker snacks taste funny.
    Likes skeetbum, MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEJIMJIGS View Post
    Changing to the tiny jigs certainly was the difference and had some jigs that were even smaller if those hadn't worked. The jigs are tied on #12 sickles and I did lose a half dozen or so using these but what good are bigger jigs if they won't eat them. The knee high wading boots made a big difference getting me out past the junk at the bank, until I took one too many steps and they filled up. I used a 3/4" weighted float and was reeling it super slow. The second the float moved different I set the hook. They weren't taking it under at all.
    Don’t you just hate that? Good tip on using some extra attractant.
    Bob

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, it never fails that however tall your boots are, you always want to take one more step. I had hip waders years back and got em wet more than once.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast