HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m Getting Better

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I’m Getting Better

I launched at 6:45 this morning and had plans to test a few experiments. The Moon had recently risen.

Name:  3FC0994A-8D6E-4266-8602-1BFBB08DBCCC.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  34.1 KB

First up, the all brand new to me planer board technique.

Name:  C18F5366-6070-435A-8672-AD899920259C.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  119.0 KB

I sprinkled boat with Slab Sauce .....looks like coffee but it’s sauce.

These are the mini boards and would be all I am likely to need. I got a rod rigged with one of the Pony Head spinner jigs I have been pouring, painting, and accessorizing, and then attached the line to the board and sent it out. Simple enough. Once at a decent distance I began rigging rod number two. Something seemed odd with the first board and sure enough a nice fish had hit and hooked himself. I was impressed. Less than a minute and the board had a fish.

Later, both boards accounted for about ten fish. I wanted to learn how to use these because the lakes I frequent are very shallow. Vast expanses of grassy bottomed lakes, and one lake is six feet at it’s deepest. When I got my first ever crappie rods I went with 16 feet because of how shallow the lakes are. The boat is 20 feet long and pretty wide and if it were only a few feet above the fish, it is able to scatter them far and wide. I figured if I could teach myself how to use boards I could eliminate the boat chasing fish away.

So I fished two 10’ rods with the boards, and the four 16’ rods were two out front pushing and two out to the sides in the back of the boat long lining. The first few fish were a challenge to bring in without fouling other lines, but common sense prevailed. Like a giant bobber, the crappie, even dinks, caused the boards to indicate for me. No tattle flag necessary. I would see the board reacting to the bite, grab the rod and pop the line in the front clip loose. The board would then swing back and surf in with the fish. The back clip does not slide back, rather holds the board to the line where it got clipped. I had about 8’ of line behind the board which meant that I could swing the fish board and all into the boat and not have to remove it.

Name:  0A49F61C-B8EE-441E-864B-9D171D44C775.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  34.1 KB

I put the two planer board rods in the back, tips pointed at the sky. This kept the line out of the water.

Name:  17A0448D-7D36-456D-BDAC-9D243523090C.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  103.9 KB

Here i was using boat control to maneuver the lure nearer to the weed line. Can’t see it here but I managed to pass very close in with my lure. I am going to order two more mini boards and run four out the back of the boat. I really liked how the system worked and plan to get good with these devils.

Name:  4EFC869F-BB3D-4F1B-B937-ABD4535DB8F9.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  35627C75-E1E1-4C5B-9BC4-5BF3F5732866.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  46.1 KB

Most of my sixteen fish were of this size, and all released.

Name:  D54D5373-1066-4AEE-AD36-C3E45ACC3884.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  2A67EA8A-C534-4A22-ADBF-5BC229D1AA17.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  6169106E-7D00-4F90-AB7F-D338A93F74EF.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  54.5 KB

This is how I transport the rods over the road. Secures them nicely.

Other experiments were a solar shield.

Name:  ECFDF044-F356-4A20-8D43-287401FAE836.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  37.5 KB

This shield is promising but needs some tweaking to get it right for me. I read the older men talking about how they wish they had avoided the Sun a little better. Good advice.

Name:  6CBFE1CC-1B0C-4C99-B170-4BF434093E00.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  5E287185-D63C-46AF-9D3D-CA3A49298DF2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  60.8 KB

Creel counter will be nice later when I get my act together.

I recently poured some bell sinkers, and painted them white and added UV enhancement. Well I added little rubber bands to them and simply looped them onto the main line, where I could adjust the distance between sinker and lure very easily. Then once positioned, they stayed that way. I was very impressed. This will help me pushing, pulling and planing. No damage to the line. I will be able to run sinkers between the boards and the lures and keep everything compact enough that I will not have to remove the boards, just swing the fish aboard. I imagine I could get a jig down about 5 feet on a short length of line.

I also tested my new leader system and it was flawless today. No tangles wraps or snarls. The line is BassPro Shops TightLine in 12lb test. Bright bright yellow.You can see that in the planer board picture.

My hand made jigs worked a little better than the purchased stuff today. It is not easy making my own tackle but it sure is nice when it works. Got some new powder paints coming. Testing out ways to shield the eye and the swivel that extends underneath. Used 1/8” shrink wrap on the eye very effectively. The swivel was too fat to fit and so wrapped those with tape designed to withstand baking. Opening the split rings is a huge hassle, and there is a blade to affix first, then to the swivel. Have willow leaf blades and Colorado. Using wide gap hooks as they look very aggressive, and they did the job today that is for sure.

So as the title says I am getting better. My mentor called to check on me and I had done better than he had. I can suggest that if you are fishing shallow lakes, try planer boards. They look like a huge hassle but it doesn’t have to be that way. Consider using something to ward off the UV rays from the Sun and save your face. The shield may work out for me, but might not. Let me know if you have questions, and I will offer my best newby solution. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Maybe they will bite this one……

Post Thanks / Like

I love trying out new ideas. Looks like yours are paying off for you. Thanks for sharing.

another good day at the office !
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like your eagerness/creativity/willingness to post(share) = two-fold success potential...yours/reader's(ca-ching/catching!)

u2s

Post Thanks / Like

Micanopy- There is a definite, proven, success-driven bunch that mainly use the boards = Crappie money-tournament Professionals. I guess board-dom should help eliminate boredom, I know =yuk yuk!

Stay creative/often yields to grease invitees-

u2s
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job staying after the process. It’s fun trying the different techniques and seeing which ones pay off for you.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Went yesterday and the water was smooth as glass....well at least until that whirl wind started up. LOL

Managed my best fish yet- 12”

Name:  25AF72C4-B7A5-4033-9EF2-1FF3AE769A99.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  76.2 KB

I also caught eleven of his little bitty buddies.

Entertainment was provided free of charge.

Name:  5C1E72FB-C0A3-438F-9EA7-CE6F699681C8.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  11.0 KB

I started out using two planer boards with spinner jigs, two long rods long lining out the back with jigs that have no spinners, and two long rods pushing out the front with no spinners. As everything progressed waves started interacting with the boards, but no biggie really. Then the wind started screaming and I switched tactics. Motored over to the protected side of the lake and set all four long rods pushing jigs out the front, with two rods pulling crank baits out the back.

I am mystified as to how a crappie can see the differences in jigs in stained water, but somehow they do. They were liking orange but the best one liked a gray Powerbait minnow. Anyone know anything at all about what they see ?

I think I have kind of solved the issue of scent application. First time I used Slab Sauce I sprayed away and basically made a horrible mess. Then I tried dipping and dribbled sauce all over everything. So now I have it in small plastic vials and have those rigged to sit open and up right over the side of the boat. Now they are at the ready whenever I want to increase my confidence a tad.

Obviously, the key is to present a jig the fish will want to attack. Bunch of bushwhackers looks like to me. So I have decided to explore different shapes of jig heads to see what happens. I bought some pill head shaped jigs and they have an aggressive hook for the sizing- 1/16- 1/32 - 1/64 ounce. I want to see if they swim better. I read that aspirin headed jigs are favored by river men because they can fall faster in running waters. Maybe that means they can swim faster, too. Makes sense kind of in that they present a skinnier surface to penetrate the water.

One of the discoverable moments for me was just how easily these aspirin headed jigs slip into my tube baits. I flip the tube upside down, use the jig head to wiggle the legs out of the way, rub it on them to lube it up, squeeze the tube to make an oval opening, and in it goes. I really like the tube baits for some reason, and they certainly are cheap enough. My orange body with yellow legs tube got three fish yesterday. Anyways they don’t mangle the jig body during the insertion process.

I used to make custom sinkers for surf fishing. Legs that extended outward and gripped the sand to hold, then released when a fish bit the bait. I discovered lead residue was accumulating on my fingers from fingering my lead weights, so I started powder painting them. I decided to make a fluid bed back then, about fifteen years ago or so, and it worked but man what a mess. So I wanted to see what modern day fluid beds look like and the design is pretty much unchanged- go figure right. I saw where a member here added a vibration machine under his to get extra fluff with less puff, and ostensibly less mess. So I made my new fluid bed to sit atop of a vibration table that is being delivered to me later.

Name:  67418390-BD3D-4498-A577-A24FE94EF9E1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  66.6 KB

A simple reducer at the bottom
    TJ’s Tackle canister
    Nifty little thingie set atop to keep the powder down inside

Having played around with filter media before, I wanted something better than coffee filters and postal envelopes. The TJ’s media seems better but many of the same issues exist, mainly that some powders just seem to do better than others. So hopefully adding vibration will help, although I imagine some powders might not like to be juggled about.

Does anyone know what to buy and where when it comes to the filter media stuff as I want to make canisters for all my colors and don’t want to pay premium pricing ?

I painted these 1/16 ounce pill heads. I went with no collar design so I can tie them with yarn for soaking up Slab Sauce. Also hopeful they will balance a little better. For soft plastics I can lay down a layer of thread and glue the bait to that.

Name:  27A692F5-0219-4509-BED1-95A77CCF4FE2.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  100.4 KB

The yellow and the green are UV reflective and the dragonFly and pink are not. I also have some glow in the dark powders which I plan to test out as well, even though I am not sure they will be of much use. I suspect the color will be all that the fish see and the glow not so much.

Anyways I would have fished longer but my wife came home from work and called to say that there was no water. Nice huh ? Well I diagnosed it as the pressure switch on the well having gone bad and I called my big brother to come over and fix it. I bought a new one and he came over and attached it. Now she has water again and all is well. I gave him a Plano box loaded with my creations and he loved it. All manner of jigs inside and a few of his all time favorites- Beetle Spins.

Can’t fish today as it is pouring rain and lightening. I can always tell when a thunderstorm approacheth....the hounds become very eager to interact with me. Terrible to be afraid of thunder when you live in Florida. LOL. At least they think I can save them from that terrible noise.

My kid brother is down from Washington DC this week with a friend I have had since childhood. Each year they come down to surf fish. They even bought a trailer in Welatka/Satsuma area for this purpose.

So I have to go surf fishing again.....BOOOOOOOO.

I want to get in the boat instead !!!!!
    Likes hdhntr, Jeepjock, SuperDave336, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  A366CBBF-319D-48B3-8C15-661795349359.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  17.0 KB
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

your definitely doing the process and experimentation right, just keep wetting lines and enjoying yourself. you will keep getting better.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

those jig heads of yours are looking good. I just started to down size some of you rods and lures to the 1/32 range. It's a whole different game than what I am used to. Keep up the good work and keep us up dated as you go along.

another good day at the office !

Post Thanks / Like

The wife and I have been on vacation this week and spent our first two days at the beach. She has a degree in art from the University of Florida so just about everything is an opportunity to get artsy. Her sand art was admired by almost all of the passers by. Not sure how I feel about it, but doesn’t matter because she loved it, and several passers by took pictures and discussed it’s greater meaning or whatever folks are supposed do as they stare at such things. I said it looked like a skewered mermaid man the aliens put down here to monitor our nuclear ambitions. Maybe you got a better imagination.

Name:  823C7AAE-4A68-485A-B220-221608235C1C.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  150.6 KB
    Name:  66E651F6-993B-47E5-8DD2-CEC623B6AE78.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  133.1 KB

Then I said it was time to go back to the beach house our friends let us use ( we regular folk ain’t got beach house of our own ). She did not want to go but that old fireball is wicked on one’s skin. Pouting.

Name:  5B2DD3AC-52F8-4F06-9D7B-F2CDFEF045C2.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  130.4 KB

Too late she got burned anyways. Came out of the shower with that lovely fresh boiled lobster look. I searched the house but no aloe was to be found. I ran to the store and came back with two bottles, one for her and one to leave behind for the next beach victim.

The next day I just drove her down the beach in my four wheel drive. From Crescent to Mantanazas it is a good long trip. She got to have fun without actually getting into the Sun. UV light is not her friend. She asked what I wanted to do and I wanted to head back home to the sweet water, so we packed up and headed back.

Yesterday was day three and I asked her where she wanted to go and she said fishing in a lake. So we loaded up and went to Newnans Lake, which is in Gainesville. The water there is murky brown and there is sediment, mud, on the bottom that my motor stirred up. Very shallow lake as the deepest part I have encountered was six feet, mostly it is 3-5 feet deep. The shoreline is all cypress trees tightly packed to one another. We could peer back in there a little and saw some houses. Hard to see them until you are right up on them. She wants to live in one of those now - great.

Anyways we spider trolled around in three feet of water so we could cruise the shoreline peering in and looking for her favorite creature- the alligator. There were a few about but nothing like sometimes when the place is crawling with dragons. She wanted to drive the TM and was weaving us through the various obstacles, down trees, lily pads and grass. She did pretty good and we only lost two jigs. Problem was a rod would indicate and she would say something but when I went to reach around her I would whack that sunburned back. LOL, so the fish would escape the trap, but that is fine because no size to them anyways. We did get to see some military jets using the airport for exercises. Lots of dumb birds to gawk at. I commented that the water turkeys sound just like her chihuahua when she whines crybaby fashion.

After about a mile of shoreline trolling we headed out into the middle of the lake. I sent out four, yes four planer boards, and two 16’ rods sticking straight out the side. It was windy so we let that kind of point us and she used the TM for a little assist on the speed. The boards bobbed about in the waves some but managed to keep themselves out an away from the boat. In these shallow lakes I am very suspicious about chasing fish away. That big boat passing straight overhead probably tosses their appetite. The boards allow me to present my jigs in a more discreet fashion. I was pleased to see just how easy it was to manage four. I do not think I want six out, as the two rods out the side are way too easy.

She asked how we would know if we had a bite, and I pointed at a board and said well it will do like that baby, and started reeling in our first fish. Man when I swung him aboard he looked like a whale. Easily the biggest crappie I ever caught or seen in person. I was very pleased. Then his identical twin hit the boat, then another. I tell you it was a happening going on. A party right there in the boat. Only the Sun was blazing down on her and I knew she wouldn’t complain and want to go in with me catching fish like they were going out of style. We spent too much time trolling the shoreline and used up our allotment of fun in the Sun. She was grateful when I lit the engine and reeled everything back in. Poor devil.

She did mention that I am much better at launching and landing the boat.

Back at the house she decided that she needed to learn how to clean fish ( secretly I prayed ). Well she got to it and what transpired was wrong, but the girl is learning. She mangled my trophies in hideous fashion, and we only got a few morsels that seemed to have been shaped like jagged leaves. Big smile on her face. It is a poor man indeed that cannot teach his wife to clean fish my friend.

So I ran down to the grocery store and came back with some tuna steaks. Blackened fish on salad is always a big hit with her. She said our fish tasted great.

Name:  F84ED201-D6CA-4DE1-B671-9F5D66596BDC.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  B8F561D2-1B12-4A89-8A95-67C3FCF6E828.jpg
Views: 9682
Size:  108.0 KB
    Name:  403A1EEE-D630-42AB-B116-054EC0C6952A.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  61.1 KB

Today we plan a river cruise down the St Johns River. Not too much fishing, just a lot of riding around looking. Yes she will be wearing long sleeves. Yes she will be wearing a large floppy hat. Yes we will have sandwiches and such aboard the boat. Unsure of exactly where to put in and where to go, but by the time we drive over I will get that sorted out. She promised me that I could apply full throttle today- YEAH !!!!! She says her boat is way too fast. It really only goes 45 mph, which seems quick when you are so close to the water with no cage around you.

So I am getting better, seemingly every time I get out there. Those planer boards are the bomb for fishing shallow lakes. If you drag jigs in. shallow water you should consider using them. Also, my homemade jigs have been a big hit with the local fish. Now I am gonna try to make some crazy colors. The UV reflective stuff seems to be the ticket. I am well into my third tackle storage idea now. Need to get two more dedicated rods for planer board fishing. Got today to have fun and then one more day, tomorrow, which is also my birthday. She got me a coffee cup that says- “She turned me into a newt”. My mentor is proud of my achievements so far and wants to come fish on my boat now. That man can flat out fish, too.

I been telling the man upstairs ‘thank you’ quite a bit lately. Very grateful for all my blessings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast