Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Day - Bad Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Yes, we were. The Schofield Bridge is an interesting one, originally built in 1873 for local farmers. It was set on fire by vandals (never caught) in 1991. In 1997 after an all community effort it was rebuilt with private funds, and craftsmen that still knew traditional building techniques oversaw the rebuilding. Huge beams were custom cut and held together at joints using big wooden pegs. Small cars such as the rangers are allowed to cross, and it needs some care but is still very sound. There arn’t many left, and this one is a nice example. It resides in Tyler Park, my home water.
    Bob
    I lived most of my life in close proximity to that bridge Bob, so i am familiar with the history of it.
    The hemlock lumber used to rebuild it came mostly from the property owned by my late brother and me in the mountains of N C PA.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a Leland TCB with a 20 President. Took a spill last fall and lost the rod&reel in the water. I also lost my ipilot remote. Went back the next day and found the combo. Never gave the remote another thought. The sting of the money hurts. But I know how you feel about the loss of a favorite combo.

Sent from my E6910 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I lived most of my life in close proximity to that bridge Bob, so i am familiar with the history of it.
    The hemlock lumber used to rebuild it came mostly from the property owned by my late brother and me in the mountains of N C PA.
    Hi yobuck. Small world, and neat to know where a lot of the timber came from. There are still places where you can get timber custom cut. Some years ago I flew my RC planes from a small farm, and the farmer decided he wanted to build an old time horse drawn wagon. He rigged up a saw and cut the timber in sizes that you just can’t get any other way. It was a fun project to watch.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

There are actually quite a few saw mills in Pa Bob, i dont know where the one who did the bridge timber was located, but from what i heard at the time, that was donated as well.
    The same area as those trees came from for that bridge, at one time supplied most of the very tall masts for the worlds large sailing ships.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    There are actually quite a few saw mills in Pa Bob, i dont know where the one who did the bridge timber was located, but from what i heard at the time, that was donated as well.
    The same area as those trees came from for that bridge, at one time supplied most of the very tall masts for the worlds large sailing ships.
    Nice those old mills still have a place in this world. I have a beautiful custom made walnut banjo that was built in Wisconsin. The luthier has contacts with various farmers and gets first shot at walnut and cherry trees being cut down. He cuts them down himself and then cuts to the lengths he needs. Typically trees along field lines. Som3 of it real old trees. He has a mill that custom cuts the necks and various other sizes and then he stores it 8(!) years in the upper loft of his work garage to dry it just right. THEN he selects and makes the instrument. Ah, I wish I had some of those skills, but I enjoy seeing well crafted wood.
    Bob

RVG Fishing is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad about your rod and reel, good excuse to buy something new though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12