Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Dock shooting jig head weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: Dock shooting jig head weight

Got my first boat. 14' Gamefisher Jon Boat. Going to use trolling motor only till I afford to buy a gas motor.

I will be dock shooting in upper Chattahoochee river (GA) and Lake Lanier (GA). I will be fishing in the coves. 14' jon boat has no chance in the open water in Lake Lanier. Also, I will be trout fishing from the boat in lower Chattahoochee river.

Quick question, what weight jig head should I use for dock shooting? I have been practicing dock shooting in a five gallon bucket.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically start with 1/32 for a slower fall rate and as the season progresses I run a 1/16 as the crappie become more aggressive and the like the faster fall. Keep at least two rods rigged for different weights. Have fun
    Likes Tradbow, TreednNC, wahanlin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B-52 Guy View Post
    I typically start with 1/32 for a slower fall rate and as the season progresses I run a 1/16 as the crappie become more aggressive and the like the faster fall. Keep at least two rods rigged for different weights. Have fun
    Thanks for your advice.

I bought two medium light rods for dock shooting. I also have Crappie Pro brand 1/16 sickle hooks, I am going to get 1/32. I am going to follow your advice and going to run two different weight on two rods.

Thanks

Tradbow is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as B-52 does. Also try different body styles as that in itself will change the fall rate of the jig.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32oz & 1/16oz for dock shooting, but mostly 1/16oz. Biggest positive change I made was going from hollow tubes to solid body stinger shad plastics. The solid body plastics seem to skip better & farther.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 for under 10' and 1/16 for over. You can use the 1/16 up shallow but you have to be quick on the reel and get it moving to keep it up off bottom, and usually you are out of the strike zone too fast.. but sometimes they want that fast movement. I'm almost always using 1/32.
    Likes Slabprowler, NCkenner, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

GA angler try some Bobby Garland baby shad in monkey milk and blue ice. Great colors and they have a great skip on the water so you can get to the backs of the darkest spots of the docks. Do not retrieve, just let the jig fall and watch your line. Sudden sag or tight line, set the hook! Use 4lb test! I prefer a 5ft 6in good backbone rod to execute the the shooting and the hookset! Have fun
    Likes skeetbum, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little different. I use 1/16 on smaller docks and 1/8 on the larger docks, water depth also counts. Remember to shoot into the darkest part of the dock, and use a high vis line. Some times you wont feel the thump, just see your line move. I haven't been at this game long, but it has become my favorite way chase um. Over time you will find which docks hold fish the most often. It is a very productive way to ketchum....
    >>>-----------> Make It Count!!! <><
    Likes wahanlin, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also use 1 16th if the fish will hit them. Sometimes the slower fall of a 1 32nd oz seems to make a difference, but it's a lot harder to use the 1 32nd oz when the wind is blowing or there is current. I have used 1 24th oz as well when I can find them, and they have worked well for me. I also love dock shooting, it is my favorite way to catch crappie.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the line , 4 lb test 1/32 , 6 lb test 1/16 , 8 to 10 lb test maybe a 1/8
    fall rate is critical in my opinion , to fast to fall and or have to reel to fast to keep it off the bottom will greatly reduce the amount of crappie in your bucket .
    fat body baits work best ,skip better and fall slower
    luck to ya
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes CreekTracker LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast