HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Live Sonar Technology Fishing Bad for Crappie Fishing by Brad Wiegmann

Tradbow is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think technology helps shorten the learning curve for many fisherman. As with anything, some people will abuse the new technology but I don’t believe the masses should be restricted because of the actions of those few. Lots of people have taken up the sport of crappie fishing and have a lot to learn from how to operate a boat safely to not hurt theirselves or others to understand fish habits and where to find them. All the technology will not help them catch fish if they don’t have a clue as where the fish will be located at a particular time of year.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell, but I think the fish will be just fine. They have put up with us for a long time, and are doing just fine. If anything, it will make them even harder to ketch. Our states game keepers do a good job of monitoring our resources. If concerns arise, adjustments to creel limits will be imposed. Enjoy your new toys, about the time you get them paid off, new gismos will come out to ketch you...
    >>>-----------> Make It Count!!! <><
    Likes Ketchn, silverside, Baitwaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest problem I've observed are live wells and tailgates full of 8" and 9" tater chip baby crappies. Ain't much meat on them bones and they are the brood stock of the future. Same thing happened in deer hunting 40 years ago with the "If it's brown it's down attitude.". I guess if there isn't enough self discipline amongst anglers with the "I got mine" attitude. We will see longer minimum size lengths and smaller limits eventually from the biologists.
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Pa, you could catch and keep 50 per day, with no size limit. But in the past about 10 years, with the community input, it's now 25 per day, and 9 inches length. Fishing people here, from all over the state, realized that, it couldn't be sustained, if limits weren't put on them. I don't need to catch 25 per outing, let alone 50, to be happy, nor keep babies.
    Likes Gator Bait, Slabprowler, Trapperpete52 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think guide fishing is way more detrimental to crappie and bass than any electronics. Weiss lake is a perfect example of overfishing. This lake never gets a break. We have a guide on eufaula that Braggs on Facebook about his 90 fish twice a day. This happens all over. Game fish should never be commercially harvested. Guide fishing is a commercial buisness.
    Likes Slabprowler, Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fished on a buddies boat last week and experienced livescope for the first time. It was pretty neat. I think it helps you stay on schools easier but doesn’t catch the fish for you. My buddy missed way more fish than me because he was staring at the screen and anticipating the bite & I didn’t look at the screen much and just fished, reacted to the bite. I think I’m just as happy with the $600-$700 electronics. Saying that, I think fisheries will be fine with the new technology. The people catching 2 limits a day or keeping over their limit , do more harm than the new electronics in my mind. You still have to have fishing knowledge to be successful. Just because you can see them doesn’t mean they’ll bite. Just my opinion after 1 experience with my buddies livescope. Good fishing to all this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Tradbow, Slabprowler, silverside LIKED above post
    Thanks CrappiePappy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Livescope is bad, more because you have to buy one to keep up, thus everyone (mostly) wants one. The thought of spending $2k to look at an ultrasound all day doesn't appeal to me. If I were a competitive tournament angler, I would have to get one to be competitive.

I hear people talk about "culling" fish before ever wetting a hook, because they skip the non-jumbo sized fish.

So, if those with livescope are only fishing for the huge fish, and those fish are harvested, the fish genetics are being removed from that body of water.

Having said all of that, if conservation were truly that important, none of us would fish the spawn -- and that ain't happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bojac View Post
    My buddy missed way more fish than me because he was staring at the screen ...
    I go fishing to get away from staring at a screen.

To each, his own.
    Likes "G", S10CHEVY, Slabprowler, silverside, armyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Before livescope a lot of people struggled to catch crappie during the summer months. I have a friend that couldn't catch'em before livescope and now has no problem. I never thought about keeping a limit until the last 2 years. I keep enough for dinner or keep none at all in the fear of livescope. I just hope people practice a little more catch and release. Maybe I'm wrong about if the supply can keep up with the demand.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Likes Pirogue, Slabprowler LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Many of us caught limits regularly for many years . Now with social media and new electronics the lakes are being pushed to the limit . Even those guys that did not fish Crappie are chasing them . Many just Crappie fished in the spring and the high teck stuff has made it easier . Never saw so many new Crappie guides after they got livescope . Will not do any good for a few to catch and release when lakes are full of fishermen . Going to be tough for the Fisheries guys to develop a plan so our lakes won't be fished out . True they still have to bite but with people crowding the lakes year round it may hurt with high limits . I predict fishing to get tougher for sure if limits are not reduced and people return to work .Anyone that follows Crappie tournaments knows the weights have gone up . If you have not seen the high number of boats on your lake then your lucky . The electronics will just get better and fishing pressure won't slow down till catching falls off
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast