Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig color recommendations for Pa Lakes

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased 2" Bobby Garland Baby Shad in the following colors:
    Pink Lemonade, Lights Out, Purple Mist, Butter Belly, Pink Pearl, Live Minnow, Pearl White, Hologram Ghost, Cajun Cricket, Monkey Milk, Black Gum, Blue Grass, Vegas, Chartreuse Silver, and Mayfly.
    I have purchased Berkley Gulp 2 1/2 inch minnows in the following colors:
    Black Shad, Emerald Shiner, and Smelt.
    Hopefully there are some good colors in the stuff I have bought. I have not used any of them yet. Hopefully the weather will stay nice so I can get out and go fishing soon.

What size/type of jighead do you recommend for these types of bait?
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that’s a lot of knowledge being thrown out there! I agree with Chauncey on colors I use even non-painted a lot . Early spring I like hair jigs or crappie magnet size tails. I also pinch off some to shorten length. Later I use triple ripples , Jenkins mermaids, Charlie brewers and Mr. crappie. Colors all over the board , firetiger worked great at Shenango, white at Wilhelm . It’s what ever your wallet will stand. And don’t forget the nibbles Jig color recommendations for Pa LakesJig color recommendations for Pa LakesJig color recommendations for Pa LakesJig color recommendations for Pa Lakes

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes S10CHEVY, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdengr View Post
    I have purchased 2" Bobby Garland Baby Shad in the following colors:
    Pink Lemonade, Lights Out, Purple Mist, Butter Belly, Pink Pearl, Live Minnow, Pearl White, Hologram Ghost, Cajun Cricket, Monkey Milk, Black Gum, Blue Grass, Vegas, Chartreuse Silver, and Mayfly.
    I have purchased Berkley Gulp 2 1/2 inch minnows in the following colors:
    Black Shad, Emerald Shiner, and Smelt.
    Hopefully there are some good colors in the stuff I have bought. I have not used any of them yet. Hopefully the weather will stay nice so I can get out and go fishing soon.
    What size/type of jighead do you recommend for these types of bait?
    I like 1/16 and 1/32 oz ball heads mostly. Also a few 1/8oz. for longlining or casting.
    Likes gdengr, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/32 ,1/64 and the 1/8oz jigs. I don't tie my own but a friend of mine does. I use a lot of Malibu jigs in different colors with pink my first choice,pink and white combo and plain white. If they don't want those colors then chartreuse is my next choice. I like live minnows on them but last year I started using crappie nibbles on them with great success. The Malibu also sucks in the slab sauce. This year I'm going to try Pautzke crappie fireballs. They are new this year. They are smaller in size compared to the average egg so I think the 1/32oz jig would be a good choice with the smaller hook.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes gdengr, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=patrapper;4111351]I like 1/32 ,1/64 and the 1/8oz jigs. I don't tie my own but a friend of mine does. I use a lot of Malibu jigs in different colors with pink my first choice,pink and white combo and plain white. If they don't want those colors then chartreuse is my next choice. I like live minnows on them but last year I started using crappie nibbles on them with great success. The Malibu also sucks in the slab sauce. This year I'm going to try Pautzke crappie fireballs. They are new this year. They are smaller in size compared to the average egg so I think the 1/32oz jig would be a good choice with the smaller hook.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app[/QUOTE

I fished those Pautzke crappie fireballs last year on Wilhelm. They worked. Jury is still out on comparing them to nibbles. I want to test their performance long term. Proving a theory dictates at least 10000 crappie must be caught to prove their worth. Let's do our best to catch a bunch this year in the name of science!
    Likes S10CHEVY, gdengr, zekepa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way you think!

Sent from my LGL722DL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes S10CHEVY, gdengr LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jig size depends on a few things for me. Time of year, depth I’m fishing, and if I’m using a bobber or casting or hang gliding deeper water.
    Early spring when they move into very shallow water, I’ll use from a 1/32 to a 1/80th under the smallest bobber I can get. That’s water under 5 ft. From 5 to 10 ft water that’s warmed up to 50 to 65*, I’ll go with a 1/16 whether casting to shore or brush. I may use a bigger bobber that is just big enough to hold the jig without a split shot. You’ll have to learn to read your bobber tho. Some bites will be up bites when the fish just takes the weight of the jig upwards and your bobber may just twitch. When the fish move deeper, I bring out the long rods and hang glide the deeper water over drops, brushpiles, or stump fields. My setup consists of a 1/2 oz sinker about 15 inches above a 1/8th head. This rig can be fished from ten foot down to as deep as you need to go. If you’d like to see it in action go to the Brushpile fishing web page and look for season 4, Shenango lake hang gliding. Very informative show.
    Likes S10CHEVY, gdengr, mchech, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    Jig size depends on a few things for me. Time of year, depth I’m fishing, and if I’m using a bobber or casting or hang gliding deeper water.
    Early spring when they move into very shallow water, I’ll use from a 1/32 to a 1/80th under the smallest bobber I can get. That’s water under 5 ft. From 5 to 10 ft water that’s warmed up to 50 to 65*, I’ll go with a 1/16 whether casting to shore or brush. I may use a bigger bobber that is just big enough to hold the jig without a split shot. You’ll have to learn to read your bobber tho. Some bites will be up bites when the fish just takes the weight of the jig upwards and your bobber may just twitch. When the fish move deeper, I bring out the long rods and hang glide the deeper water over drops, brushpiles, or stump fields. My setup consists of a 1/2 oz sinker about 15 inches above a 1/8th head. This rig can be fished from ten foot down to as deep as you need to go. If you’d like to see it in action go to the Brushpile fishing web page and look for season 4, Shenango lake hang gliding. Very informative show.
    What style of bobber do you prefer for the shallow water fishing?
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdengr View Post
    What style of bobber do you prefer for the shallow water fishing?
    The tiniest unweighted that you can find at the baitshop or even Walmart. Name brand doesn’t make a difference.
    Likes S10CHEVY, gdengr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

chaunc,

Watched the video on hang gliding. Entertaining and informative!
    Is that a technique to be used in late summer and fall when the fish are in deeper water or can it be used other times in the year?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast