HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to spend money?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to spend money?

I’ve been fishing most of my 54 years. I’ve owned all kinds of boats from a 12’ Jon’s, canoe and countless Rangers and other brands. Even owned a Ranger dealership from 1998 to 2006. I have always been a single pole guy. I’m trying to decided the best way to rig up my boat. Do I invest in a complete spider rigging outfit or do I buy a complete live scope type electronics package? I can’t do both, I currently have decent Lowrance side and down imaging graphs with GPS. I posted a thread yesterday on no drill setups for bass boats with no response here. I posted the same info on several FB message groups and several seem to suggest passing on the rigging equipment and buy better electronics and target specific fish with the live type sonar. What say you and why?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For my money, unless you intend to "branch out" in your fishing methods I see no reason for rod holders. My money would go towards a good Livescope setup.

I went from simply casting, to rod holders & long rods for Pushing jigs and both methods are still in my arsenal. I got a Livescope/93sv setup last year & what few times I did manage to fish, I mostly one pole fished with the Livescope. I will be doing the casting & Pushing methods this year, as well as the one poling w/LS, and will still use the LS system for all those methods.

Knowing what I know now about LS fishing, had I had it prior to getting pole holders, double seats, long rods, & line counter reels ... I may not have invested in those things & just continued casting & one poling with the Livescope system.
    Likes NCkenner, NIMROD, Chuck Adams LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Livescope, hands down, and I’ve got both.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you don't want to have to be switching screens or using split screens on your Garmin unit, get a small unit that's GPS capable just to use for maps & waypoint marking.

I bought my 93sv UHD w/o a tdx & the Livescope for $2200 from Brian@BBGmarine last year. I had him leave the tdx out of the deal because I already have a Hook 7 at the bow w/tdx on the trolling motor ... and I can use it for DI/2d/GPS mapping & waypoint marking, leaving the 93sv screen open for Livescope use only.

I did already have the Hook 7 on a ball mount so I bought a Cumberland Crappie extendable mount to put the 93sv on & behind and above the Hook 7. Unfortunately the Cumberland Crappie mounts are no longer available, but double mounts are out there if you wanted to go that route.
    Likes Chuck Adams LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been drooling over a new Lowrance Ghost, might as well save up some cash and buy it along with the new Active Target live system and add a second bow unit for the live function. Maybe by the time I’m ready, they will have the bugs worked out.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have boat control in most cases livescope is unbeatable IMO
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on how you like to fish.
    You may even try a guided trip. I was sold on single pole, until I went with a guide and we set up to spider rig.
    It can be a pain setting 6-8 poles but I absolutely love it.
    I know there are others that feel the same with single pole and LS. I think some even use LS to spider rig.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Chuck Adams LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to spend money is in gas. More gas = more time on the water. More time on the water = more fish.
    Likes Hp942, Dollfly, catfishtoon LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  106128708_1130905097243260_7657762569164596488_n.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  99.3 KB

Like Crappy Pappy said I run a unit on front for maps and one with livescope . Sure helps if you can split map screen and use 10' scale and 100' scale maps at same time . No need to be messing with changes in screens while fishing . The brushpiles/marks on 100' side make going to next spot easier. When you get close it pops up on 10' side to get you right on target .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I’m the wrong person to answer this question!!

I have invested WAY TO MUCH in electronics, long poles, jig poles, casting poles, plastics of every shape, color and hand ties.

I think I could have bought a Seafood restaurant a lot cheaper!!! LOL

But I am having lots of fun.

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BuckeyeCrappie, Micanopy, Ketchn LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast