HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long?

How long does it take you to tie a chenille/marabou jig? Please don't give me a superhero estimate. I have tied less than 100 crappie jigs total, and I am tying a Richard Gene weed guard to the hook shank before I put the fluff on it. I timed myself. I average around 9 minutes a jig including tying the weed guard on. I'm either gonna have to get faster or quit. LOL
    Likes tlefire LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long?

When I tie for a swap, I have timed it. Was about 3 minutes a jig.
    Of course that was repeating the same pattern and no weed guard.
    That’s also just, a maribou tail, and chenille.
    Buck tail takes me longer, it’s harder for me to get the hair to work the way I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, never timed myself. Think I'm gonna have to now. I just enjoy it and it takes what it takes. I also have started using the weed guard and will time myself next time. I think 9 minutes sounds ok to me. That should improve with more practice though.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tying does not take long, 5 to 7 minutes. Casting and painting can be time consuming.
    At times I have had 30 minutes in one jig or lure.
    Likes GrumpyLoomis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never really timed myself. Some days things go smooth and I can tie pretty fast like 5 minutes. Other times I guess it takes me 7 - 10 minutes. I usually do 6 the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the 6 minute range when I'm into tying. I slow down if I'm not feeling it that day. I am no race car but sometimes overthink it, its best when I just roll. Tie on and enjoy the addiction.

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m in no hurry to do mine,,,,won’t be fishing anytime soon,,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never knew......so I tied this one and timed it. It's not fluff, lol, and does not have a weed guard. I would think a weed guard would add 4 or 5 more minutes. Jig was in the vice, but I cut the hackle.
    Name:  20201125_160204.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  33.2 KB

I really think your 9 minutes is pretty fast....
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90 four stroke
    Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Livescope Terrova 24v Ionic lithium batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    I never knew......so I tied this one and timed it. It's not fluff, lol, and does not have a weed guard. I would think a weed guard would add 4 or 5 more minutes. Jig was in the vice, but I cut the hackle. I really think your 9 minutes is pretty fast....
    Where the weed guard slows me down is tying on the fluff and stuff after the weed guard is on. With that mono angling back over the hook it takes some practice to get the thread wound on the hook shank when attaching the marabou and the chenille.

I will say this, about the weed guard. Richard Gene is dead on about it. It works and works well. I know it adds time to hand tying jigs, but if it makes a jig last 50 casts instead of getting hung up on cast 2 (which I'm somewhat famous for) then it's worth the extra time.

I gotta work on my marabou application. I can't seem to get it to completely encircle the hook. Usually wind up with more on one side than I do the other. Sorta wraps around the hook when I fish the jigs.

I enjoy creating jigs though, so I'm gonna keep on trucking and get better at it.
    Likes Slabprowler, tlefire LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My method is to do the weedguard afterwards if possible. Crank out a half dozen jigs then do the six weedguards - your time will go faster as you are repeating the same task over and over. As far as the maribou application I would offer to tie in 3 or 4 smaller bundles to encircle the jig - again focusing on repetition. Start at the bottom - wrap it twice, do a side -wrap twice,, do the top - wrap it twice, then the far side - wrap it twice. Then maybe 2-3 securing wraps then move on to the chenille or next step.

Production is a process and get yours down and you will be flying through things.

For what it is worth I lay out ALL of the materials ahead of time for however many jigs I am trying. For six jigs I will have 24 sprigs of maribou layed out (again 4 pieces per jig) -- six segments of flash if using -- a strand of chenille long enough for the six jigs. Step one then two and so on. ALways tie with scissors in hand. And as you said keep at it - you WILL get better over time. My 12 year old went from 10 minutes per jig to 3 minutes -- and he crushed the fish today with HIS home made jigs made to his specifications. Pretty cool!

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast