Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobber/float and crappie jig

Post Thanks / Like

Like stated use a cast iron skillet if your just cooking for two people. A 10inch cast iron skillet will be less than $20 and will last several lifetimes. The method you are using is called a jig and bobber. It is a very effective method for catching both crappie and white bass in the spring when they go up creeks to spawn. Get the bobbers from Walmart because they are dirt cheap. Get the smallest one you can get away with based on the jig size your using. I fixed float is good for fishing 4ft or less and a slip bobber is good for deeper water. Crappie fishing is a great sport.
    Likes shurt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

welcome and good to see you are learning grasshopper. also some great baked parmesean recipes and other methods that are simple and fantastic plus healthier.
    Likes shurt, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

we use a big cast iron for 2 .5 people when we fry them
    we use a cookie sheet when we bake them
    luck to ya
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I like the bobber and float. But Oregon especially Central Oregon is not big on fishing for crappie. So finding those little floats mentioned above I couldn't do. I did find some round cork floats though, 1" and 1 1/4" and they worked fine and were pretty inexpensive! Last week I ran into those other floats and got a couple to try out on a couple of my spinning rods. The cork balls worked great and not a thing I could see wrong with them. These other one's I would think are more sensitive if that's possible. Thing I noticed about using the floats is if there's a little ripple on the water, not need to move them around much. Just let them sit and the water moves them for you.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a favorite way to fish from the bank in the spring.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I started making some floats from wine corks and bamboo skewers. Bend and cut down a paperclip to make a loop on the bottom tied in place with wound thread and topped of the thread with UV glue. Can be painted as you see fit for visibility. After I get the shaft secured in place I turn the float on my bench top drill press and use sand paper to shape and get the size I want. To make it a stay in place float I use a Piece of tubing for a sling shot to hold the line in place. Same float, best of both worlds, Slip float and stay in place without crimping the line...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what the size to weight ratio is? Such as 1/4 oz 2.5", 1/8 oz 2" and so forth.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Thill has some floats that are marked for weight
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use thill or BPS balsa quill floats. I was just wondering about trying the more economical comal foam floats so it doesn't hurt so bad when i get hung up so far back in the brush I can't retrieve it. Was wondering about the ratio so I don't need to buy half a dozen different sizes trying to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to the other equipment you buy floats are cheap.
    Buy what works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast