Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowe Stinger 175 with 60 HP or 75 HP?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowe Stinger 175 with 60 HP or 75 HP?

After searching several months for a used boat, I’m now debating on buying new. Anyone have any feedback on the 60 vs 75? The 75 is about a $2,500 upgrade from the dealer I spoke to.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger is almost always better when it comes to boat motors.
    But if you are just a casual angler, I bet the 60 would get you up and on plane OK and run 30mph or so and probably make you happy.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd opt for the 75hp ... even though 15hp difference doesn't seem like much, performance can be quite different. It may also depend on what size motor is the maximum rated for that boat. Many times dealers will sell a package with a smaller than max motor just as a pricing factor. How much weight will be added to the boat (passengers & equipment) on the average trip would also have to be taken into account.
    Likes Mbsbeek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the larger motor. If you don't you'll always regret it. I bought a new boat last year and put a 90hp on it. After the first month I wanted the 115hp max hp.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I always go with the max HP the boat is rated for.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I always go with the max HP the boat is rated for.
    Me too.
    It will also make a big difference in resale value if you decide to sell the boat.
    Likes crp4570, Mbsbeek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go bigger if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what part of LA Winnsboro is in, but I happened to see a War Eagle for sale on Craigslist in Bossier CIty. Sounds to be rigged up already. $22K I think it said. It's a camo boat, 2017 model the description said.

961 Blackhawk center console. Lake ready and garage kept. Yamaha 115 VMAX less than 75 hours. Minnkota Ultrex new, 3 bank charger, 3 Interstate batteries new, 2 Humminbird Helix graphs, Garmin 1222 LiveScope new, Millenium Marine seats and rod racks, Cumberland Crappie Spider Rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm partial to Lunds but I don't think you folks see them in the south too much. I prefer a reinforced hull.

Bigger motor is always better. You can get a mechanical dud of any size motor...complaining that I knew I should have got the smaller one because the XXX was a piece of crap doesn't take away from the general premise that bigger is better given both are mechanically sound

Also depends on what size lakes you are going to fish on and how many people are with you. I bought a 1775 as it's usually just me or one other guy. An 18' has a bunch more room, but it's also bigger behind the truck, harder to launch and land on the trailer(especially in wind), and takes more space in the driveway.

If you're not hitting the big water(we have many lakes that are over 10 miles across up here) then rough water handling isn't as important as you will not be traveling as far with the chance for such crappy water conditions.

just my .02

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll tell a short story of a recent trip in my boat. 17’ Carolina skiff with a good 40hp Mariner. Myself, my daughter and SIL and granddaughter in the boat. Little one might make 50lbs. Boat wouldn’t plane, no matter where any of us were in the boat. If I had 60, I’m sure it would have gotten the job done. We fished and had fun but I was disappointed in the overall performance of the boat. I have long been a proponent of getting all the boat will stand, this just proved my point. I also believe in getting back to the dock before the oncoming weather soaks me. The extra ponies help there too. Good luck with the choices, this is only one of many to come.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast