HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo: How I caught crappie today. 10/08/2020

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and thanks for the report. I know it will help someone catch a few.
    Thanks drumking thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good day for sure, congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy your teaching posts. My biggest struggle, and I have many, is interpreting what I see on my electronics. You are obviously quite adept at this interpretation, as you often speak of fishing offshore structures. I can find brushpiles, but I just can’t discern whether they have fish on them. Would you consider doing a post or two with some screenshots? It appears from your pictures that you have the same unit as me on your console.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes CUonthelake LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by footballcoach View Post
    You always have good posts and stories and you are truly unselfish. Thank you for sharing and for helping others.
    What he said
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the great report, you are obviously a better angler than I, both at angling, and sharing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I really enjoy your teaching posts. My biggest struggle, and I have many, is interpreting what I see on my electronics. You are obviously quite adept at this interpretation, as you often speak of fishing offshore structures. I can find brushpiles, but I just can’t discern whether they have fish on them. Would you consider doing a post or two with some screenshots? It appears from your pictures that you have the same unit as me on your console.
    ET, if I can remember to take more screen shots, I will. Grin. But I have said and still believe that the biggest crappie run in smallest schools so when you see a brush pile with just a couple of fish on it, most people pass these piles up. But they can give you your biggest fish of the day. Example of the best day for big crappie that Cuonthelake and I had from about 3-4 years ago.

It was spring and pre spawn time. There is an underwater ridge that in the past we had caught big slabs on and we checked it out with the electronics. It was offshore, current was ripping and wind from the north almost 8-10 mph. Only one little dot showed up on the cover when we passed over it, but I said let’s fish it anyway. We made the run to check it out, might as well fish it.

I got the boat in position to make a natural presentation, set the spot lock on Ivan, and we began our casting. It took a couple of casts to see just how the jig was reacting and then, as Candi does to me so many times, caught the first fish of the day. A slab over 16” long and 3 lbs. Very next cast, another slab that was a couple of ounces over 3 lbs. Back to back 3 pounders and I have never caught a 3 on Chickamauga. Then she caught another 15” slab under 3 and I made her swap seats with me. Lolol. Then I caught back to back 14.5” slabs and gave her the seat back. That was 5 TARP sized crappie from that spot in about 10-15 minutes. She caught another 13.5“ and a 12.5” Crappie and then not another bite.

7 slabs in about 30 minutes. Too bad that we weren’t in a tournament. Now we don’t do this on every trip. All these fish came from a spot that most would pass up because they didn’t see a huge school of crappie. Those huge schools on Chickamauga are little fish and although fun to catch, will only produce one or two big crappie from time to time.
    Likes USMA65 LIKED above post
    Thanks Slabprowler, CUonthelake, ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

ET, thanks for asking the question, and DK for an eloquent answer. That is info that needs to be considered every time the DI lights up like a Christmas tree, maybe they're all small fish, and like you said, fun to catch, but not what we're after.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing ! Well done!

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing for bass and crappie back in the late 50’s and 60’s with my dad. Back then there were no electronics and top water in the spring and fall was it for bass and trolling in the spring for crappie was all we knew. I quit fishing as I got to high school and didn’t fish at all until about 10 years ago. I bought a boat and started fishing again. Crappie fishing is my favorite but I really struggled and rarely caught anything even with the electronics on my new boat, except in spring when I could troll and catch them. Chickamauga is a big lake and overwhelming to new guys like I was. Then I started reading forums and found DK one day. I never joined, but I will say, I would come here to check for a DK post and I’ll say my fishing is better now even though I still have more fish less days than I like. That is because reading the electronics and ID’ing fish is still my weak link. I never read one of his posts without learning something though and I do appreciate him and his generosity. I’ll be 68 in a couple of months and he has proven you can teach an old dog new tricks!!! I sure hope he keeps posting cause I’ll sure keep reading!! I’m new here as far as being a member of the forum, but I’ve been learning from DK for several years now and wanted to pitch in and say that.
    Last edited by Grumpygramps; 10-10-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Likes USMA65, Noodle rod, CUonthelake, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpygramps View Post
    I grew up fishing for bass and crappie back in the late 50’s and 60’s with my dad. Back then there were no electronics and top water in the spring and fall was it for bass and trolling in the spring for crappie was all we knew. I quit fishing as I got to high school and didn’t fish at all until about 10 years ago. I bought a boat and started fishing again. Crappie fishing is my favorite but I really struggled and rarely caught anything even with the electronics on my new boat, except in spring when I could troll and catch them. Chickamauga is a big lake and overwhelming to new guys like I was. Then I started reading forums and found DK one day. I never joined, but I will say, I would come here to check for a DK post and I’ll say my fishing is better now even though I still have more fish less days than I like. That is because reading the electronics and ID’ing fish is still my weak link. I never read one of his posts without learning something though and I do appreciate him and his generosity. I’ll be 68 in a couple of months and he has proven you can teach an old dog new tricks!!! I sure hope he keeps posting cause I’ll sure keep reading!! I’m new here as far as being a member of the forum, but I’ve been learning from DK for several years now and wanted to pitch in and say that.
    Hey, Grumpy, thank you for reading the posts that I make. I try to help people who struggle to find or catch fish. I can locate fish every time I go out, but don’t always get them to bite. Grin. The forum that you found me on several years ago, I quit posting there because they let ugly contentious comments go on and I don’t like that. I will post on Facebook sometimes, but don’t give out info. This is the only forum that I give detailed reports on and I want to thank Slab and all the moderators who keep this forum friendly and won’t allow any negative comments go on.

I keep no secrets, but it takes time on the water to find, present lures, and have confidence that you are doing the right thing to catch fish. The number one thing that any angler can do to catch crappie on a consistent basis is to learn to detect the crappie bite and I’m not talking about “feeling” the thump, using braided line or anything like that. Under most circumstances, 9 out of 10 crappie that I catch, I never “feel” the bite or fish until I set the hook. I watch my hi-vis line and see the bite long before the thump comes. I probably detail this in the sticky post at the top of the forum page. Long read, but worth the time to read. If there is a secret to my method of single pole crappie fishing, it is learning to master a jig. It took me a long time to get to where I am today.
    Likes USMA65, CUonthelake, Grumpygramps LIKED above post
    Thanks "G", Slab, ET Fish thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast